Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Another Newbie needing help :)

Another Newbie needing help :)

Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Beancounter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Newbie needing help :)

Hi all

I'm about four years away from retiring to Asia which I am determined to do, and have for the past few years been really looking hard at Malaysia, attractive for lost of reasons, but mainly due to the ability to retire "legally". Now the Philippines has popped onto the radar as a potential destination, and I have never been.

So this autumn planning a two week or so first trip, where do you advise I go to visit first, and is Cagayan and Davao and that whole island really too dangerous to travel to?.

I would like to get an idea of housing prices of course, seen a lot on the internet, the likely standards of living, find out things like where does the internet really work (essential) and generally what sort of reception I will get.

In Malaysia, I just talked to lots and lots of people, do I do the same in the Philippines?

Your advice and experience valued

Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Newbie needing help :)

Just to say hi and welcome to BE from one bean to another I'm sure one of our Peens experts will be along soon with some info. Also take a look thru some of the threads already on here. There's a lot of info on here. The Peens retirement visa seems like a good one.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

vicblain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beancounter1
Hi all

I'm about four years away from retiring to Asia which I am determined to do, and have for the past few years been really looking hard at Malaysia, attractive for lost of reasons, but mainly due to the ability to retire "legally". Now the Philippines has popped onto the radar as a potential destination, and I have never been.

So this autumn planning a two week or so first trip, where do you advise I go to visit first, and is Cagayan and Davao and that whole island really too dangerous to travel to?.

I would like to get an idea of housing prices of course, seen a lot on the internet, the likely standards of living, find out things like where does the internet really work (essential) and generally what sort of reception I will get.

In Malaysia, I just talked to lots and lots of people, do I do the same in the Philippines?

Thanks
hi i have been in philippines 2 years i live on negros island and all the ex pats here say they would not go to minenou unless they had to..i hear you need to lodge 50000 with the malasian goverment to stay there.another thing your uk pension will get the yearly imcrements in the philippines
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:50 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vic. I'm a bit confused. Did you mean Mindanao? That's Philippines, right? Trying to fathom the Malaysian connection. How does that work?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beancounter1
Hi all

Thanks
Opinion among foreigners living in the Philippines about where to live and the merits of different cities and city versus province (basically the rural areas and small towns) is very divided. I am not quite yet a full time resident there but my wife and I have a home in Cebu City (she is from there) and I am there frequently. Virtually everyone you will talk to will tell you to rent first before even thinking of buying - rules on property purchases are very different from Malaysia for example. Putting it bluntly, the Philippines is not to everyone's taste as the poverty is very much in your face and it is not as safe as Malaysia, Singapore or Hong Kong. Nor is it that cheap, certainly if you want a reasonably comfortable lifestyle - probably in the order of £1000-1250 a month would be ok, a bit more would provide a nice cushion. Yes, the internet does work and there are various service providers. If you are in the city then many western foods are available in the better supermarkets and of course restaurants. English is widely spoken but not always that well. Bigger cities have decent health care facilities. People by and large are very friendly and welcoming. I think you would probably encounter a wider variety of expats in the Philippines - more from the USA than in Malaysia almost certainly. Davao is highly rated by many foreigners - modern (relatively) and safer in some ways, Cagayan is nice according to my wife and there is an expat community there. No, the whole island is not dangerous to travel to - only the western part and the offshore islands there. Personally, I like Cebu as its better connected than most places other than Manila (which I would stay well away from!). All I can suggest is to visit some of the main known expat centres and talk to people and check out forums on the internet, of which there are many. Best wishes and good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:24 am

Great info Pete.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the replies, and some really good advice, thanks to Bakedbeanm seen your very wise posts on the Penang forums, which I hang around when I'm not in one of your local food courts samplingt the excellent Char Kway Teow.

I will be able to retire on probably around £2k a month with a reasonable lump sum as well, so the property prices in the Peens hold no fears. And more importantly to me the retirement program looks good and sensible, and realistic.

I have never understood Thailand retirees lovely country but all that rushing to the border every three months does not appeal and not much local legal protection for anything, that makes Malaysia very desirable mainly due to the MM2H progam, but the property prices are silly especially in KL, although Penang better away from the beach anyway.

I think late November, a trip to KL meet some friends and then over to Cebu for 4 or 5 days and then maybe down to Davao and then lastly if I can arrange it perhaps Bacolod, and get someone to drive me round that island for a look see.

Won't get too much of an impression on the first trip I always find, but then probably will go back in late Spring a little more informed and able to ask and see things a little more clearly.

Still do not fancy living in any form of expat island community, I would much rather live in the local "middle class" areas.

And so far, and I recognise that I am not yet living in Asia, Western food is the last possible thing on my agenda, always looking for the busy street food vendors, then I am in the queue like a shot.

Maybe see some of you in Cebu

Thanks again Beancounter 1
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

You are welcome to contact me via private message when you have your travel plans sorted out and if I'm in Cebu at the time you plan to visit we can certainly meet up.

Just a couple of other points from your post. Foeigners can only directly own condos in the Philippines and these are not cheap by any means for anything decent. The build quality is probably not as good as Malaysia. It is possible to "own" a house and land through a corporation with a local majority owner but is complicated. The land is the key issue - this cannot be owned.

The social structure of the Philippines is not like Malaysia. The middle income group is very limited in size - many professionals have left the country to work abroad leaving only a relatively small group behind. There is a preference among better off Filipinos to live in secure sub-divisions which are safer and away from squatter areas and other potential nuisances. All I suggest is come and take a look and I'm sure you will immediately see the differences between the Philippines, Malaysia and Thailand.

In the major cities like Cebu there is a wide choice of restaurants and types of food available. Philippine food is under-rated in my humble opinion - it is often criticized for being rather bland but there are some spicy dishes and a far greater variety than many think.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Good replies here. An English reporter for the Sun Star newspaper lives in Davao. He seems to enjoy living there.
I have been to Cagayang D'Oro, and the Pineapple fields in Bogo.
I live on the Island of Cebu. The advice given here is good. Rent first. Mactan, Talisay, and the South West of Cebu, are pretty popular.
I love Cebu, but I prefer living outside of the city.

SM, Fooda, and lately Gaisano Mandaue, are selling a lot of foreign foods.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Beancounter1;9614428]Hi all

Dear Mr Beancounter, suggest you read the "Lonely Planet" book and visit all the places of interest except the western Mindanou. The guest houses are not expensive neither is travel. Use your head when on the move, lock your goodies in hotel safety deposit boxes and travel light. No need to bring many clothes, 50 pounds buys you a bag and all things to wear during your stay.
Shorts/flip flops/polo shirts.
Years ago I flew to Cagayan bussed it across to Davao and flew onto somewhere else, easy peasy (knee deep in Corn husks after the overland trip in the buss)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again to everyone, the autumn trip has had to be postponed due to far too much work and I would have come over at Christmas, but the flights are just so expensive from the 15th Dec through to 12th Jan

So the plan is now to fly into Cebu 1st week Feb 2012, probably then fly/use ferries to travel round at least three other islands, and probably up to Manilla for 3 or 4 days as well, and yes with a rucksack, minimum clothes and just see what happens. Will stay close to 3 weeks.

Really looking forward to it
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

There is Internet and many use the Wireless type. You buy a kit which includes a dongle modem, then you charge it up daily or for longer by purchasing cards. P20 - P50 a day unlimited is the norm. With P795 - P1495 for the start up kit. Warning you do get interruptions of service, and drop-offs.
You will love coming in via Cebu. You will be surprised how efficient it is. Off the plane, walk to Immigration, a few queues, processed quickly by friendly staff. Then to the carousels, where luggage from your flight will already be on the belt. Over to customs, with the form you filled in on the aircraft. Then to the exit where they check your luggage to the airticket. Then out. From the International exit there is an ATM just to the right of the door outside. Duty Free is on the opposite side of the road, up the stairs or ramp.
In SM they have a travellers lodge, you can buy ferry tickets from there, and they have a shuttle service to the relevant pier. The best ATM machines for obtaining money (foreign card) are the BDO (Banco D'Oro) ones. There are a couple side by side in the North Wing of SM. Else you can go over the road, and use the ATM attached to the BDO (NRA) over the road on the corner. The ones inside SM are a better option.
Taxis/Hire cars from the airport turn right, and walk to the domestic exit. There is a new yellow cab taxi system, but also the normal taxis as well.
If you travel early morning on the ferry, it can be pretty chilly on the sea. Pick a bunk in tourist near the funnel.
Oh you may need an adaptor for your laptop/mobile. Easily obtainable from ACE Hardware and other places in SM mall. P29 to P59 each. The plugs here are two parallel flat prongs. Power is 220v AC so easily compatible. If you need some computer items CD-R King in SM is by far the cheapest. You can view online.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Forgot to mention that the kits are available in CyberZone North Wing SM, and some still on the third floor, in old SM.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

with a rucksack, minimum clothes and just see what happens. Will stay close to 3 weeks.

Rucksacks are great for climbing mountains but not for general touristy stuff, plus you stick out like a sore thumb and ask for attention. You and the rucksack will be also be wet through with sweat.
Bring your kit in a simple soft bag and wear a polo cap to keep the sun out of your eyes and help you to blend in. Important docs you can put into zipped leg pockets with loose cash in other pockets with again zips or something similar.
Bring or buy thin cotton shirts/underwear not the heavy duty knitted cotton stuff that makes you sweat more and is longer to dry.
You can buy all the stuff you need in the SM shopping malls and enjoy being waitered on by pretty girls in the process.

Have your important docs including credit cards copied and leave the originals in safe deposit boxes in the hotel/pension.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

amidst_desolation is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Since you're really considering Philippines among others I think it wont be too presumptuous to suggest Iloilo City. Phils. is divided into 3 major island groups: Luzon (where the capital is) Visayas, and Mindanao.

Iloilo is a small laid-back city. Years ago, a small international airport was opened about 45mins away from the heart of the city. Subdivisions started to sprout in between. I'm sure u will find a safe, comfortable, and affordable place for you. Also, the rate of living is much cheaper compared to Manila and the city,in general, is much safer than those in Mindanao.

I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning that it is also a few hours away from Boracay, a world-famous , by land. Food won't be a problem. Ilonggos are known for their devotion to food. You will enjoy local recipes while having international cuisine at your fingertips.

Traffic is bad, though, but only in the city proper and during certain times of the day. Also, the locals regard foreigners as "rich". It is also the same in Malaysia. Don't worry, you wont be kidnapped in Iloilo. The locals will just overcharge you and giving a tip would be more of an obligation than an option Well, eventually, you'll find your way through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.