Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Another hapless Brit looking for work..

Another hapless Brit looking for work..

Old Nov 7th 2014, 4:40 am
Just Joined

JMYD is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Another hapless Brit looking for work..

Hello everyone.

After being in the Philippines (Manila) for 2 years on and off, I'm at a decision point and am looking for a job. I've trawled the forums, and from my own experience I'm already fully aware of the difficulties of getting a position here and how things tend to work.

I've worked in management consulting (forgive me!) and have a technical mining background (Geology and Mining Engineering) with work experience of 3 years. If anyone is working in those particular areas, then I'd be very interested to hear your opinions. But having said that at this stage I'm ready to do almost any job.

As you'll already be aware, the only expat jobs here tend to require many years of experience, and graduate schemes and the like have a ready supply of graduates who will generally work for far less money (duh).

Well, personally I'm someone who will work for much less as I'm in the lucky position of having a partner with a good salary, however getting a foot in the door seems to be a recurring problem.

So before I make the decision to go back, is anyone here able to help me or have any suggestions in terms of getting a work visa and some kind of work - at least until next summer?

Old Nov 7th 2014, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another hapless Brit looking for work..

Trying the call centres may be worth while. Don't forget it is you employer who gets the work permit not you. Also be aware of prospective employers promising to obtain a work permit and never getting around to it. Apart from the inconvenience it can end with deportation and blacklisting.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:20 am
Just Joined

wayne42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another hapless Brit looking for work..

Loads of mining operations throughout the country..Huge Nickel and copper deposits in places like Toledo Cebu and Berong in Palawan etc..
http://job-search.jobstreet.com.ph/p...s/mining-jobs/
I reckon its worth finding the addresses and firing off your CV..
Wont do any harm!
As Gazza says,tons of call centers in Manila..Apply to as many as possible.
Also check out English lessons for Koreans.. Quite a few schools here that want native speakers.

Last edited by wayne42; Nov 9th 2014 at 3:26 am.