Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Am I alone in thinking …

Am I alone in thinking …

Old Oct 27th 2020, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I alone in thinking …

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread along the lines of the Telegraph Letters page, ‘Am I alone in thinking’, based on our experiences in the Philippines. Here’s my first, taken from a form received from the PRA today collating members’ data. Two paragraphs on the final page read:

‘I understand that failure to answer any field or giving false answer can be penalised in accordance with law,’ directly followed by:
‘I voluntarily and freely consent to the collection and sharing of the above personal information only in relation to the PRA and other relevant Philippine government agencies rules and regulations.’

Am I alone in thinking that these two paragraphs qualify as an oxymoron?
Old Oct 27th 2020, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I alone in thinking …

Yes, seems to be. Leaving out the pandemic a general move from government over the last few years encouraged from the top, to set more regulations and threaten penalties if you don't comply. Even seeing this in our subdivision. A better approach would be to better explain why they want the information.
Do they want to know anything very sensitive?
Old Oct 28th 2020, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
... Do they want to know anything very sensitive?
Not really, mostly information they should have already. The 'new data' falls under 'Source of Income', enquiring whether or not you have a business, are in employment, have a pension or any other source. They must be keen to get the data though as they attached 3 copies of the same form.

Old Oct 28th 2020, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
. They must be keen to get the data though as they attached 3 copies of the same form.
As with all information in the Philippines they obviously want the answer in triplicate.
Old Nov 13th 2020, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Am I alone in thinking that logic is an extremely rare commodity in the Ph. Take the following conversation that occurred between myself and a customer service rep at a company in Manila. I live in the provinces, I’d just placed an order to deliver some goods and the rep asked me if I wanted the parcel to be shipped by air or sea. Note: as the delivery isn’t urgent, I’ve tended to use sea in the past; the cost is approx. ₱400, for a 3-5kg order and takes from 7-10 days. The rep spoke very good English so there wasn't an issue of language.

Rep: do you want to use air Sir?

Me: maybe, but I need to know the cost first.

Rep: But it’ll be much quicker by air Sir.

Me: Yes, I get that, but what’s the price difference?

Rep: I don’t know Sir.

Me: then how can I make a decision if I don’t know the cost of shipping by air?

Rep: But it’s much quicker Sir.

Me: Yes that’s great, but how much will it cost? If I say air and you don’t tell me the price, I could end up with a bill for ₱2,000 or even ₱5,000.

Rep: We don’t know the price Sir, we don’t do any tracking; the shipping company does that.

Me: Yes, I understand that, but when the shipping agent comes to collect the parcel, surely you can ask them what the cost will be to ship by air?

Rep: But they’re not answering the phone Sir ……..
Old Nov 13th 2020, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

jaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I alone in thinking that logic is an extremely rare commodity in the Ph.

In answer to your question...NO.It can be infuriating.I see that you did not inquire about insurance for said shipping of parcel,but if you did you can rest assured that "God" would make sure that your parcel got there on time and intact.It's very hard to meet anyone these days who is capable of using common sense and initiative.It's particularly bad in the Filis.

I often say that the UK and the USA is going to be in an even worse mess than it is now in 20 years time.A generation of kids growing up glued to their phones with a short span of attention.Exams have been made easier to cope for the slippage in levels of intelligence.Old fashioned values are gone.Grammar and arithmetic is out of fashion.Stupidity and vacuousness is the norm.That is the situation with the US and UK,but if you multiply that x5,then i give you the Philippines.I really fear for the future of the country and its people.

Old Nov 14th 2020, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaygee68
Am I alone in thinking that logic is an extremely rare commodity in the Ph.

In answer to your question...NO.It can be infuriating.I see that you did not inquire about insurance for said shipping of parcel,but if you did you can rest assured that "God" would make sure that your parcel got there on time and intact.It's very hard to meet anyone these days who is capable of using common sense and initiative.It's particularly bad in the Filis.

I often say that the UK and the USA is going to be in an even worse mess than it is now in 20 years time.A generation of kids growing up glued to their phones with a short span of attention.Exams have been made easier to cope for the slippage in levels of intelligence.Old fashioned values are gone.Grammar and arithmetic is out of fashion.Stupidity and vacuousness is the norm.That is the situation with the US and UK,but if you multiply that x5,then i give you the Philippines.I really fear for the future of the country and its people.
I just wonder whether the OPs shipping example was just an attempt to up the cost for an Expat? A common assumption by sales staff that as one you are not interested in cheaper goods and services?

My experience here with sales people is quite a good one allowing for the language difficulties and often poor presentation and explanation of costs, conditions etc.

You bring up God,s role. Yes, the poor often do things like spend any unexpected small or large windfalls with the idea that God will look after them when their money has run out. Do some crazy driving on the road etc. But also there is some belief in the supernatural, spirits etc. I have no idea how widespread it is but my wife wears an "anting-anting" around her waist when she goes out. Two teabags on a cord. She also believes in the special powers of a certain tree which grows in her Province. My previous wife here had the same belief. She also grew up in a Provincial City and finished her education privately in Manila.

The schools here, state and private (especially if run by religious orders) spend a lot of time on morals and religion, but not so much on subjects which involve the development of logical thought.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
The schools here, state and private (especially if run by religious orders) spend a lot of time on morals and religion, but not so much on subjects which involve the development of logical thought.
Point in case was the recent typhoon which for a week before we all knew when and where it was coming, Any one with logic would have opened the dam spill gates a little bit 4 or 5 days before, no, here they panic on the day of the typhoon because the dam was now very nearly full and filling fast so they opened the spill gates full and dumped huge volumes of water into an area that was already flooded.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

How about this one that took place at SM Supermarket today. I asked the assistant (whose English was excellent by the way) the price of an appliance and he went to have a look at his list, which was on a nearby table. I couldn’t help noticing that with the list sitting on the table, he bent over and stuck his face about an inch from the list/ table. Just in case he was trying to wind me up, I let it go on for a few minutes but he continued to ‘run’ his face up and down the list. Concerned that this guy perhaps needed glasses, I asked if he ever thought about having an eye test. The conversation went like this:

Me: Have you ever considered getting an eye test?
SM assistant: I already have glasses Sir.
Me: Did you forget to bring them with you?
SM assistant: No Sir. We’re not allowed to wear them?
Me: Can you repeat that please; I think I misheard you?
SM assistant: We’re not allowed to wear glasses when talking to customers.
Me: I’m afraid I don’t understand. Why on earth are you not allowed to wear glasses when talking to a customer?
SM assistant: It’s SM policy Sir.
Me: What’s the thinking behind that policy?
SM assistant: I don’t know Sir.

While my wife is queuing up to pay for her shopping, I decide to pass the time by toddling over to the Customer Services desk and find out if they know anything about this odd policy.

Me: I’ve just spoken to a member of staff and he tells me that he’s not allowed to wear glasses when talking to customers because of company policy. Did I misunderstand him or is this really SM policy?
Customer services rep: Which section where you in Sir?
Me: Well, I’m not sure that’s relevant. It was in the main store directly behind me.
Customer services rep: Was it the merchandise or food section?
Me: (intrigued but getting a tad fed up) It was both sections. First the merchandise and then the food.
Customer services rep: Okay Sir. (thereby confirming the section was irrelevant).
Me: So, back to the original question, is it company policy or not that staff are not allowed to wear glasses when talking to customers?
Customer services rep: Ah, but staff are allowed to wear glasses when they go on their break Sir.
Me: That’s wonderful, very kind of SM.
Customer services rep: (without a hint of sarcasm) Thank you Sir.
Me: Do you think it’s fair that staff aren’t allowed to wear glasses when talking to customers?
Customer services rep: I don’t know Sir.
Me: Any reason for this policy? Do you know why SM have this policy? Covid related or anything else?
Customer services rep: I don’t know Sir. I’ll tell HR department of your concern Sir.
Me: Thanks, always a pleasure. You’ll probably call to give me an update.
Customer services rep: Yes Sir.
Me: (private thoughts only). Considering that you haven’t asked for my name and contact number, I guess I'll be waiting a long time for that call.

Anyone got any idea for the reasoning behind this policy at SM stores?
Old Feb 28th 2021, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
Anyone got any idea for the reasoning behind this policy at SM stores?
The original idea was most likely for 'sun glasses' but then 'sun' got missed out in one of the revisions and nobody noticed or cared. Only guessing.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Worried that wearing glasses would make them look intellectual and keep asking embarrassing questions like do you have this item in stock.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

HA HA HA
Old Mar 1st 2021, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I am not surprised at all. thy believe image is everything and substance is nil

they also have the worst food hygiene standards as though they are a wet market but with SM prices
Old Apr 11th 2021, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Some of you may also have heard the dirge of old somber songs 60s, 50s, probably some even before then, played Sunday mornings here on some radio stations.. Being played loudly here now by the guys manning the nearby checkpoint. Seemingly listened to by many people who are not even familiar with popular music from the 80s and 90s. I've often wondered why. Are they a warm up for going to church?
Old Oct 2nd 2021, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Am I alone in thinking … Roundabouts

Is it just me or do others think that a large percentage of drivers in the Ph have no idea how to deal with roundabouts or ‘rotuntas’ as they are known locally? At least 95% of the time (I’m being generous here), drivers entering a roundabout seem to think they have the right of way, as opposed to those already on the roundabout. It happens so often, I’ve starting questioning myself and wondering if this particular rule is the other way round in the Ph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.