Go Back  British Expats > Partner Forums > Overseas Money Transfer – Ask the experts
Reload this Page >

money transfer UK to USA-easier way??

money transfer UK to USA-easier way??

Old Feb 27th 2012, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default money transfer UK to USA-easier way??

Hi,
I know this has been discussed a lot, so I tried using
XE Trade to transfer a lump sum from my Natwest to my Wells Fargo account, (opened a VIP account with Wells Fargo which has no fees for wiring money). However it wants me to first transfer from Natwest to the XE account (Barclays) so they then transfer to my Wells Fargo, however Natwest want me to enable card reader which I don't have and will take time to reach me!
Is there a simpler way to do this??
I used HiFX previously and it was easy, give my UK account details and they'd transfer from that straight to my US account themselves. However I read on here they are no longer doing this??
I need to transfer 2 one off amounts from two UK accounts asap and then a monthly amount ongoing.
Any ideas!? Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:14 pm
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all
Default Re: money transfer UK to USA-easier way??

Paypal.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Dapple is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like we are asking the same question. I just posted this query. Hope we both get an answer.

D
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 6:51 pm
Banned

dogloverus is an unknown quantity at this point

paypal is rip off get crap rates avoid!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Curious why some banks do not transfer to other banks? Especially since you have a US account Is there a law/policy out there? Any experience with Lloyd's? Asking for my mother-in law.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

This is more a comment to help those that read this thread but haven't yet moved to the US (although I guess you might be able to set up remotely or next time you are in the UK).

Just before we moved to the US last year we set up a new UK HSBC "Advanced" account and an international HSBC account (online which didn't take long to do at all). Now to transfer money from USA we make a transfer from Wells Fargo to international HSBC which costs $3 for a 3 day transfer or $10 for a 1 day transfer. From the international HSBC to the UK HSBC and then into our Nat West account is pretty well instantaneous and incurs a $7 fee charged by HSBC but the exchange rate for dollars into sterling is at the current rate (no other fees/commission rate etc).
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:12 pm
Banned

dogloverus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
This is more a comment to help those that read this thread but haven't yet moved to the US (although I guess you might be able to set up remotely or next time you are in the UK).

Just before we moved to the US last year we set up a new UK HSBC "Advanced" account and an international HSBC account (online which didn't take long to do at all). Now to transfer money from USA we make a transfer from Wells Fargo to international HSBC which costs $3 for a 3 day transfer or $10 for a 1 day transfer. From the international HSBC to the UK HSBC and then into our Nat West account is pretty well instantaneous and incurs a $7 fee charged by HSBC but the exchange rate for dollars into sterling is at the current rate (no other fees/commission rate etc).

what is the exchange rate? the rate is key is the rate similar to what is posted on the stock market etc?
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogloverus
what is the exchange rate? the rate is key is the rate similar to what is posted on the stock market etc?
Yes it is. In fact if you start to do the transfer but for whatever reason don't complete it then go back to an hour or so later the rate has often changed.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I have recommended this before: Interactive Brokers.

http://interactivebrokers.co.uk/

You get one free wire per month. However, the minimum deposit is USD 10,000.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Jordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really nice

By opening an account with Moneycorp via British Expats not only will you be able to take advantage of free transfer fees but obtain excellent rates aswell.

The rate IS the most important factor as this is where the true savings can be made.