Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

a year and a day.....

a year and a day.....

Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default a year and a day.....

Well, its been a year and a day since we landed in this beautiful country. It has certainly not been plain sailing and if we had known the problems we would have I'm not entirely sure we would have come here

From my own point of view I fell in love with the place the moment I got here, I have a job I love and have been made welcome from the very first day. My colleagues are now my friends as well and I feel very settled. I loved our little wooden rental right up till winter and then discovered I hate the damp and the cold!!! Even a dehumidifer hasn't hidden the fact that its colder in the house than it is outside I have had a chest infection/cough for 5 weeks now and swear its the damp that has done it. I do not want another winter in this house.

My daughter has setted so well at school and has made lots of lovely friends, she still couldn't choose where she would rather live but is very happy to stay here Sshe is much more active, she has much more freedom as I feel she is safer here, she has even developed a kiwi twang We are getting used to the area and the price of things at long last.

The only disappointment has been the lack of a job for OH. We knew it might take a while but he still hasn't got a proper job. He had some work for a while but that guy gave up his business and has gone to work for a company, so the only work has now gone. OH has been in UK for 5 weeks now and has been working for 4 weeks!!! He may stay until January if nothing turns up here for him Missing him dreadfully and wish he was with us.

Depression hit him a few months ago and our 15 year happy relationship very nearly ended because of it. Thank God we sorted ourselves out but decided for his sanity the best thing to do was for him to return to England for a while. He wants to return so I am still trying to find him a job here. There are no signs that his trade (industrial/commercial electrician) is picking up at all but we are hoping that in a few months there may be something in Christchuch!! At least he will be in the same country as us then

We have been considering returning but we are aware that this is our one and only chance of living here, we don't want to make that decision until we have too. If we returned our daughter would be in high school and I would not take her out of school again in a couple of years to try again. As much as I miss our family I would so rather be here for the next few years. If we can manage for another 4 years and get our citizenship then we can could come and go as we please.

I thought we had researched pretty well but obviously not. He has not been in the mood to consider alternatives like retraining and the depression got so he stopped applying for jobs at all. We are both hoping that some time away rejuvenates him and he returns ready to try again. Personally I'm not so sure and as we now have a grandson and another on the way that he is getting to know, that may be the pull back to UK. We shall see.

All in all, a mixed year, I so want to stay but would rather be happy with him there than have him miserable and depressed here Lets hope something turns up for him in the next few months Bevissa
Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:39 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a year and a day.....

Really hope everything works out for you and your OH. It can't have been an easy decision for either of you and I guess its going to make the decision to stay or come back as a family one of the biggest life changing episodes of your lives....and you thought you'd already done that! It takes so much courage to do what you've done, don't give up hope ....she'll be right in the end
B x
Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

not a happy year for you. it must be so hard when one cannot get a decent job. sounds like he has done the right thing for now, and as you say, it may buck things up for him. fingers crossed something comes up jobwise for him. best wishes
M&J
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:05 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Glad you and your daughter are happy here but sad your hubby had to go back the UK
My hubby is an electrician and has a job in Auckland city on a large commercial new-build. Its scheduled to run until mid next year and he said they are always looking to take lads on.
PM me if you would like some more info for your hubby you never know, might be worth a try!
Old Oct 16th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

OMG really dont know what to say, what a year! You are a very strong person and will be able to take whatever life throws at you. Really hope the "happy relationship" will return without the miles between. sue
Old Oct 17th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

our story was the same exept i managed to get a job in the end it,s hard when a fella used to working and contributing to the family can,t get a start i feel for u both

Neil