Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Where's the time gone?

Where's the time gone?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:43 am
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where's the time gone?

Well, we have been here 6 months now, cant believe its gone so quickly. We arrived in january and after spending the night in Auckland to catch up on some much needed sleep, and got our little hire car and drove to Rotorua. Not having been here before we wasnt to sure what to expect, but we had free accomodation at the the school my OH was working at, so there was no immediate pressure with trying to find somewhere to live. We had 2 weeks before caz had to start work and i didnt have anything to go to, so we set off exploring. We were pleasently surprised with the area, theres so much to do here and 9 times out of 10 at the end of the day we just drove down to the lake and just sat there and took the sights in.

Reality stepped in and caz started work which means i had to get off my backside and find something, i am a sparky by trade so i contacted every electrical company that i could find either on line or the phone book, i tried in Hamilton, Taupo, Tauranga and Rotorua and about 4 companies actually come back to me to say they cannot do anything as i need to get nz qualified, Great, i have been a sparky for 25 years and cant a job, i have never been out of work in the uk, my confidence was starting to get to rock bottom, Caz bless her it dont matter as we had no living costs and she was earning well.

I suppose if we had kids with us then it wouldnt have been so bad as i would of felt useful and at least i was contributing by looking after them, but we didnt , just me and her, so i did get miserable and i was starting to get wound up with constantly apply for jobs and not hearing anything.

So eventually i plucked up enough courage to go knocking on doors which is not me at all, so got loads of cv's printed off and went door knocking, I GOTTA A JOB!!! i got a start with an air con company as i had dabbled with it in the uk and this company wanted a sparly with a/c experience, talk about timing, i was well chuffed, so i felt more complete now, well that was 3 months ago and i am still hanging on to my job, i have also managed to get to college to do my electrical coursewhich i completed last week, only have to wait 6 weeks for my results

Almost forgot, we have brought a house!! in a place called Lake Okeraka, lakes out one window mountains out the others, would never have been able to afford this in the uk, bit chilly but i suppose i could stick a heatpumps in trouble is i cant wire it up for 6 weeks
So all in all, lifes pretty good at the moment, neither of us have any regrets about coming here , no sign of homesickness ( with the exception of my little wobble when i couldnt get a job) in fact, caz's favourite saying when we are sitting out on the decking is " we are on the other side of the world " but somehow it dont seem different, just seems like home.

Right i have rambled on enough, will give you another update in another 6 months.

Mick
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dunfermline, Scotland soon to be North Shore Auckland
Lejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant futureLejamez has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where's the time gone?

What a great post - Glad things worked out for you. Gives me hope for when we move out later this year.

Laura
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice

Mick,

What a lovely post! Really gives me confidence as we're going with no jobs to go to and we're worried - you just gotta be determined, hard working and positive. Brill!

Lotsa luck and keep us posted

Gay x
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

claret73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Mick
Glad you got something sorted. It's bad enough banging Brick Walls here! I'm a Spark's Mate, C&G L3 so wonder if I can probe you for info? Am looking Very seriously now having dabbled with the thought for a while...I hope you don't mind as would be good to bounce some info about.
Thanks
Andy
Old Jul 10th 2011, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Good on ya Mick. well done for sticking with it mate.

Gary.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 7:27 am
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claret73
Hey Mick
Glad you got something sorted. It's bad enough banging Brick Walls here! I'm a Spark's Mate, C&G L3 so wonder if I can probe you for info? Am looking Very seriously now having dabbled with the thought for a while...I hope you don't mind as would be good to bounce some info about.
Thanks
Andy
Hi Andy,
Not a problem, probe away, what do you need to know?

Mick
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mwhite1962
Well, we have been here 6 months now, cant believe its gone so quickly. We arrived in january and after spending the night in Auckland to catch up on some much needed sleep, and got our little hire car and drove to Rotorua. Not having been here before we wasnt to sure what to expect, but we had free accomodation at the the school my OH was working at, so there was no immediate pressure with trying to find somewhere to live. We had 2 weeks before caz had to start work and i didnt have anything to go to, so we set off exploring. We were pleasently surprised with the area, theres so much to do here and 9 times out of 10 at the end of the day we just drove down to the lake and just sat there and took the sights in.

Reality stepped in and caz started work which means i had to get off my backside and find something, i am a sparky by trade so i contacted every electrical company that i could find either on line or the phone book, i tried in Hamilton, Taupo, Tauranga and Rotorua and about 4 companies actually come back to me to say they cannot do anything as i need to get nz qualified, Great, i have been a sparky for 25 years and cant a job, i have never been out of work in the uk, my confidence was starting to get to rock bottom, Caz bless her it dont matter as we had no living costs and she was earning well.

I suppose if we had kids with us then it wouldnt have been so bad as i would of felt useful and at least i was contributing by looking after them, but we didnt , just me and her, so i did get miserable and i was starting to get wound up with constantly apply for jobs and not hearing anything.

So eventually i plucked up enough courage to go knocking on doors which is not me at all, so got loads of cv's printed off and went door knocking, I GOTTA A JOB!!! i got a start with an air con company as i had dabbled with it in the uk and this company wanted a sparly with a/c experience, talk about timing, i was well chuffed, so i felt more complete now, well that was 3 months ago and i am still hanging on to my job, i have also managed to get to college to do my electrical coursewhich i completed last week, only have to wait 6 weeks for my results

Almost forgot, we have brought a house!! in a place called Lake Okeraka, lakes out one window mountains out the others, would never have been able to afford this in the uk, bit chilly but i suppose i could stick a heatpumps in trouble is i cant wire it up for 6 weeks
So all in all, lifes pretty good at the moment, neither of us have any regrets about coming here , no sign of homesickness ( with the exception of my little wobble when i couldnt get a job) in fact, caz's favourite saying when we are sitting out on the decking is " we are on the other side of the world " but somehow it dont seem different, just seems like home.

Right i have rambled on enough, will give you another update in another 6 months.

Mick
Great post, thanks for the info x Hope it all stays good for you both x
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

claret73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy,
Not a problem, probe away, what do you need to know?

Mick
Hi Mick
Thanks for the reply. Rather than keep bumping the thread, would it be easier to PM? Would be useful to have an electrical contact.
Thanks again
Andy
Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Mick
Not such a bad place to live is it?!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant post ~ glad you have found work and are settling in, well done and good luck
Old Jul 16th 2011, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Happy times
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

HelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant future

Fab thread! Just shows with a bit of guts and determination what u can achieve! well done!