seven months in

Old May 2nd 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default seven months in

Well, time keeps passing and we settle in here more and more everyday. Sprog loves it and has a kiwi twang to her voice that gets stronger everyday. My job is brilliant and couldn't work with nicer people. It helps that I can see lake Pupuke, the ocean and the sky tower from the windows We have made our little rental home and love our neighbours. Social life improves all the time but at the moment we are beaten hands down by the 11 year old who spends most of her life with her new freinds and the rest on the phone to them!!

The downside has been OH and work. He has applied for stacks of jobs both in his trade and out of it. He has picked up a few bits of work here and there but the permanent job still alludes him Until he gets a proper job putting down permanent roots is not going to happen. It has come to the point where he may have to go back to UK for a while and return when (if) things pick up. This is not the worst thing that could happen as that would be that we all go back It is still sooooo not what we wanted, we had no idea the recession had hit as hard as it has and that has been a real shocker.

He has struggled to keep his chin up and not sink into depression, that has at times put a strain on a usually very happy relationship!!! Luckily those dark days are gone (Ihope) and if he has to go back for a few months, so be it, if that means we stay here its what we will put up with. Not sure if that affects his PR maybe someone on here will know?

Not sure if I will cope with doing shift work and an 11 year old with an attitude getting bigger by the day but I hope she behaves herself if he does go. Can't imagine living without him for even a few weeks let alone months but neither of us can imagine going back to live in England permanently either!!! Hope things pick up here soon

So mostly good here but could be better, keep fingers crossed for us please. Bevissa
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: seven months in

Hi Bevissa.

What a quality post & update.

for you all that something comes along soon. You deserve that little bit of luck to come your way.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevissa65
Well, time keeps passing and we settle in here more and more everyday. Sprog loves it and has a kiwi twang to her voice that gets stronger everyday. My job is brilliant and couldn't work with nicer people. It helps that I can see lake Pupuke, the ocean and the sky tower from the windows We have made our little rental home and love our neighbours. Social life improves all the time but at the moment we are beaten hands down by the 11 year old who spends most of her life with her new freinds and the rest on the phone to them!!

The downside has been OH and work. He has applied for stacks of jobs both in his trade and out of it. He has picked up a few bits of work here and there but the permanent job still alludes him Until he gets a proper job putting down permanent roots is not going to happen. It has come to the point where he may have to go back to UK for a while and return when (if) things pick up. This is not the worst thing that could happen as that would be that we all go back It is still sooooo not what we wanted, we had no idea the recession had hit as hard as it has and that has been a real shocker.

He has struggled to keep his chin up and not sink into depression, that has at times put a strain on a usually very happy relationship!!! Luckily those dark days are gone (Ihope) and if he has to go back for a few months, so be it, if that means we stay here its what we will put up with. Not sure if that affects his PR maybe someone on here will know?

Not sure if I will cope with doing shift work and an 11 year old with an attitude getting bigger by the day but I hope she behaves herself if he does go. Can't imagine living without him for even a few weeks let alone months but neither of us can imagine going back to live in England permanently either!!! Hope things pick up here soon

So mostly good here but could be better, keep fingers crossed for us please. Bevissa
Nice to hear you and your little one settling in nicely but not so good for your hubby he doesn't have to go back at all that would not be good. If i'm right you need to spend 186 days of each year in nz for the first 2 years for your PR. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Good luck I've got everything crossed for you xx
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, think he would probably go for about 3 months. He doesn't do well without me about!!! Can't cope with chores I think He would stay with his mum to cut down on expenses and as long as he covers the flights and brings some money back home with him that would do us. Trouble is he knows he can get work tomorrow in England. Here its just waiting for the phone call that sometimes doesn't come So love our life here we just can't afford to do the stuff we want to with just my earnings Its not even expensive stuff we want to do, just go exploring for the weekend and things. Nursing doesn't allow for that!!!! At least its an option open to him. There is talk that it will be another year before things really pick up here and we just can't live on my wage for that long without using all our savings and that wasn't in the plan. Here's hoping he finds something soon. Bevissa
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how benefits work but are you entitled to "working for families" payments
It seems so horribly drastic for your family to be separated
What line of work is your OH in?
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bevissa65
thanks for that, think he would probably go for about 3 months. He doesn't do well without me about!!! Can't cope with chores I think He would stay with his mum to cut down on expenses and as long as he covers the flights and brings some money back home with him that would do us. Trouble is he knows he can get work tomorrow in England. Here its just waiting for the phone call that sometimes doesn't come So love our life here we just can't afford to do the stuff we want to with just my earnings Its not even expensive stuff we want to do, just go exploring for the weekend and things. Nursing doesn't allow for that!!!! At least its an option open to him. There is talk that it will be another year before things really pick up here and we just can't live on my wage for that long without using all our savings and that wasn't in the plan. Here's hoping he finds something soon. Bevissa
We have been here 4 months now and i am starting to struggle without having something to occupy myself during the day.

I have always worked but my money has been 'playing' money rather than 'bill paying' money. We arent living a lavish lifestyle here. we live in a moderate house with average rent (which is half his wage) every week. We have to keep topping up the bank account with money from the Uk that we still get but are conbverting that at almost 2-1 now. We dont go out lots (if at all) we dont particularly do stuff thats expensive at all. i dont buy the 'homebrand' goods when i am shopping but am happy to try the NZ stuff without having to buy 'british' stuff either. I buy whats on special - but thats just the way i am - tight i am staggered by how his wage dissappears every week when we dont seem to do anything!!

I know that sounds like its all 'about me' but i just want you to know that i know exactly how he must feel. I guess it is different for him if he has been the breadwinner but its all about how busy you are during the day and what stimulation you have. I have started applying for jobs but so far nothing.

Going back to the UK wouldnt work for me - i am as useless there as i am here - but if thats what he needs to keep himself 'together' then maybe its for the best short term.

I have no regrets about moving here - and am in no way thinking that we have made a mistake by coming - yet. I hope you and your family can sort things out swiftly and get on with enjoying what is a really beautiful country with lovely people.

All the best

Psycho
Old May 4th 2010, 12:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'll just add to my previous post that I know of two families that did just what you are thinking of.

One was a carpenter. The other an IT bod of some sort.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:31 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Really hope something turns up soon and OH doesn't have to go back to UK for a spell. You're doing a brilliant job keeping such a positive attitude! Hope things work out soon for you all.
B x
Old May 4th 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Hi bevissa65, I am so sorry to hear of your current difficulties.

If it's any consolation when we first came to NZ my OH also struggled to find employment but after a year he eventually found some work with an agent and now has a permanent job. There are a few companies that I know of that are looking for workers but it all depends on what your OH is willing to do. If your interested please send me a PM. I also live on the Shore.
Old May 4th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I'm not sure how benefits work but are you entitled to "working for families" payments
It seems so horribly drastic for your family to be separated
What line of work is your OH in?
Hi, pretty sure we can't apply for financial help here as we have assets in the UK (that we don't want to use and be without an emergency fund!!) but also we didn't come over here for that reason. Thats a little bit of what we wanted to get away from really. Sounds daft maybe but we wanted to make our own way and contribute to things here not take. He is a sparky and I'm sure things will pick up eventually but at the moment the recession has hit so badly. He has a couple more contacts to hassle Maybe something will turn up from them Bevissa
Old May 4th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
We have been here 4 months now and i am starting to struggle without having something to occupy myself during the day.

I have always worked but my money has been 'playing' money rather than 'bill paying' money. We arent living a lavish lifestyle here. we live in a moderate house with average rent (which is half his wage) every week. We have to keep topping up the bank account with money from the Uk that we still get but are conbverting that at almost 2-1 now. We dont go out lots (if at all) we dont particularly do stuff thats expensive at all. i dont buy the 'homebrand' goods when i am shopping but am happy to try the NZ stuff without having to buy 'british' stuff either. I buy whats on special - but thats just the way i am - tight i am staggered by how his wage dissappears every week when we dont seem to do anything!!

I know that sounds like its all 'about me' but i just want you to know that i know exactly how he must feel. I guess it is different for him if he has been the breadwinner but its all about how busy you are during the day and what stimulation you have. I have started applying for jobs but so far nothing.

Going back to the UK wouldnt work for me - i am as useless there as i am here - but if thats what he needs to keep himself 'together' then maybe its for the best short term.

I have no regrets about moving here - and am in no way thinking that we have made a mistake by coming - yet. I hope you and your family can sort things out swiftly and get on with enjoying what is a really beautiful country with lovely people.

All the best

Psycho
Ditto everything you have said. We have got so used to having a lot of disposable income in England it has been a real shock here to have to tighten our belts so much. We too love it here and if him going to get work in England for a while means we still live here then thats what we will do. Very drastic tho!! I think he is just chasing the sun I know this country is where our future lies so I'm sure something will turn up soon Good luck with your job hunting for you too. Bevissa
Old May 4th 2010, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: seven months in

Hi bevissa

I do hope things do work out for you. and am glad that you have settled in well.

Anna
Old May 5th 2010, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

just to add my best wishes for you. it seems the ideal life is just out of grasp... you can see it but actually totally embrace it just yet. fingers crossed OH will get something there soon. keep up the positive thinking. and have some good luck karma!