Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Our experience moving to NZ 18 months in

Our experience moving to NZ 18 months in

Old Aug 8th 2019, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our experience moving to NZ 18 months in

I have no idea what people on here do for a living, earn or where they live. However, it is my opinion that if you feel it necessary to work such long hours, have little or no time off for friends, family or just personal quality time to justify their supposed standard of living or to be able to afford to live in a certain area, or because they feel their professional standing is more important then they are nothing but bloody idiots. How anyone can be so f****"g stupid and blame it on anything or anyone but themselves is beyond me.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

WBHB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
I have no idea what people on here do for a living, earn or where they live. However, it is my opinion that if you feel it necessary to work such long hours, have little or no time off for friends, family or just personal quality time to justify their supposed standard of living or to be able to afford to live in a certain area, or because they feel their professional standing is more important then they are nothing but bloody idiots. How anyone can be so f****"g stupid and blame it on anything or anyone but themselves is beyond me.
You seem like a short sighted individual who lacks empathy. An immigrant with a working visa that stipulates a job role in a particular company is bound by terms and conditions. Industry worked in may dictate where some people can work and the facts still stand regardless in terms of cost of living etc and work/life balance.

Nobody has mentioned they need to maintain some sort of facade in terms of life style or status and what is wrong with somebody wanting a meaningful career doing something they've previously enjoyed in another country? Maybe everybody should conform to your narrow minded view of the world?
Old Aug 10th 2019, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I got it all wrong, I should apply for a mind numbing job in Pak n Save at least then I can guarantee that they shut the doors at certain time and I can go home at the end of my shift,without any care about who will finish my work once I have left the building. LOL
Old Aug 11th 2019, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I guess I got it all wrong, I should apply for a mind numbing job in Pak n Save at least then I can guarantee that they shut the doors at certain time and I can go home at the end of my shift,without any care about who will finish my work once I have left the building. LOL
Yes!

I think that approach might eliminate much of the rubbish that I see where I work.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 8:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Well many a time I've asked women to stop pushing during the second stage of labour due to it being the end of my shift. Or told a woman that I can't help with her breastfeeding problems for the same reason. I can come back in the morning and help you then, right now I need to achieve a work/life balance.

Oh of course not, I'm a professional . I forego my own needs to assist others because I have empathy and integrity.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Well many a time I've asked women to stop pushing during the second stage of labour due to it being the end of my shift. Or told a woman that I can't help with her breastfeeding problems for the same reason. I can come back in the morning and help you then, right now I need to achieve a work/life balance.

Oh of course not, I'm a professional . I forego my own needs to assist others because I have empathy and integrity.
Thats smashing

Old Sep 8th 2019, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Jasenc is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post, thanks for sharing. I've been made an offer in Tauranga and I'm seriously thinking about moving there with my wife and three kids. What would you say is a decent salary?
Old Sep 8th 2019, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasenc
Great post, thanks for sharing. I've been made an offer in Tauranga and I'm seriously thinking about moving there with my wife and three kids. What would you say is a decent salary?
Family with 3 kids I'd say at least $120k.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Family with 3 kids I'd say at least $120k.
Agree with this. 120k minimum and you'll be able to pay the rent, food and perhaps have a holiday once a year. If you're wanting to go back home and do extra travel and things regular you're going to need more. Also depends on what sort of house you rent, if you have 3 kids and need a 4 bed house that is a reasonable standard in a reasonable suburb then rent alone is likely going to cost you $700-$900 per week alone so your 120k won't go far.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WBHB
if you have 3 kids and need a 4 bed house that is a reasonable standard in a reasonable suburb then rent alone is likely going to cost you $700-$900 per week alone so your 120k won't go far.
Woah! Steady on. That's way higher than reality for a decent 4 bed in a decent Tauranga or Western Bay of Plenty suburb.
More like $550 to max $700 per week. You'll find others up to $1200 a week but nothing wrong with the lower priced 4 bed rentals or suburbs.
The only issue to be found is securing a rental here. More demand than supply. Anything decent is snapped up quickly.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Woah! Steady on. That's way higher than reality for a decent 4 bed in a decent Tauranga or Western Bay of Plenty suburb.
More like $550 to max $700 per week. You'll find others up to $1200 a week but nothing wrong with the lower priced 4 bed rentals or suburbs.
The only issue to be found is securing a rental here. More demand than supply. Anything decent is snapped up quickly.
I stand corrected! Trademe confirms this, $700 seems top end of for a decent rental for a 4 bed.