One Month In

Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:46 am
www.hyperreality.net

Shingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant future
Default One Month In

Hi everyone, we've been here just over a month now. We originally planned to spend about 3 weeks in Greymouth and then rent somewhere in Christchurch whilst we looked for jobs. However, my mother-in-law put her back out and was admitted to hospital, seems that she has two major disc bulges which are squashing her spinal cord. We've basically had to put our job search on hold whilst we take care of things in Greymouth as my mother-in-law organises an art festival every year on the West Coast and with the next one due on 5th March, timing couldn't have been worse for her back to go and there has been so much to do.

She was booked in for surgery on Monday 21st in Christchurch and so we booked ourselves a motel to visit her on the Thursday following her surgery. Her surgery was delayed a day and so on Tuesday 22nd she was scheduled in again. Believe it or not, she was actually being prepped for surgery when the earthquake hit, luckily they managed to get all the patients and staff out of the hospital. My father-in-law then spent ages trying to find his wife in all the chaos at the back at the hospital and luckily he did find her.

He managed to arrange with Greymouth hospital to take her back there and so put her in the car and set off from Christchurch. She arrived at Greymouth at 11.30pm but because they needed to keep beds available for Christchurch, they wrote her prescriptions for strong painkillers and asked if she could come home.

So here we all are at home, thank god we are all safe and well. To think we were due to be there just a couple of days later makes me feel ill. And when we saw it on the news we felt sick to think my husbands parents were there. We can't believe what has happened and our heart felt wishes go out to anyone who has been affected by the earthquake. Lots of friends of my in-laws have been affected and one of them has lost his grandson who was hit by a falling wall. I can't get my head round it. Not sure what our plans are now as Canterbury is where we wanted to find work and a place to rent and time is running out for us.

If anyone knows of any I.T. jobs going, we don't care where it is, north or south, please can you send me a PM. There's been so much that has happened since we arrived, there's been no time to look for jobs. Can I just add that before all the Earthquake disaster, we were having a really fantastic time on the South Island and even managed to get down to visit Dunedin, Queenstown and Franz Joseph. NZ in awesome and we want to stay regardless. Take care everyone. x
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: One Month In

Stay safe & thank goodness you all escaped without injury. I am sure there will be jobs soon as people are being encouraged to stay & skills will be needed.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Month In

Hi and thank goodness you are all safe, what a scary time. Can sympathise with you MIL as had the same op done last year on my back, it was a huge success and within a few weeks was back out walking the dog again! Hope you have luck with the job search...we are awaiting our ITA and are moving from Scotland. Hoping to be within about I hour of Auckland (yes v worried about quakes and it seems like a safer option) Huge step ~ never been to NZ before and seem to swing between being vvvv excited and vvvv worried several times a day! Take care of you.: