Now JAFA

Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now JAFA

So, after living & working in Wellington for 2 years I accepted a transfer with my company to Auckland. Dont judge me!

Been here for 2 weeks now living in a hotel in Manakau while I look for a rental. My partner is still in Wellington finishing up her work and our existing lease at the end of the month before arriving with the removers with all our furniture. (yes,i am very lucky she quit her job so we could make the move, as she keeps reminding me)

Finding a rental here has not been easy with 40+ people turning up to open homes and agents that seem uninterested and never get back to you when you express an interest in viewing a property. You really feel you have to sell yourself as a model tenant rather than the agent trying to convince you the crummy house they are pushing is right for you.

A lot of the places i've seen have been awful but ive managed to find a reasonable place in One Tree Hill. A bit smaller than the unit we had in Wellington, and a bit more expensive, but now with a deck and courtyard rather than being 3 floors up which i'm hoping will make up for it. Pick the keys up this morning and will be living on a blow up bed for 2 weeks with no furniture until Nicola arrives. Fun times.

Next on the list to sort is a car, you certainly need one here. The MG we bought earlier this year which had no end of issues was (luckily) written off by another driver backing in to it a couple months ago. In the meantime if any of you other JAFA's see a white boy wearing a bright orange jacket whizzing around on a 50cc moped please try not to run me off the road!

In other news we had our first trip back to the UK since we left 3 years ago. While it was nice to see family and the weather was great while we were there the England experience wasn't great. We both came away thinking we really don't miss the place and NZ is a hands down winner for us. It was a reassuring feeling as we wondered before the trip if we would be left with a massive desire to up sticks from NZ and move back.

It's been a very busy couple months so im very much looking forward to Nicola's arrival and the chance to relax a bit.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now JAFA

good luck, is Nicola going to be working?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

She will, although she's not started looking yet. We have basically accepted a 50% reduction in income until she finds work here. From our experience of trying to find work in Wellington recruitment agencies weren't interested until we were actually in the city and I'm guessing it will be the same again. That said we were looking for work with only a WHV before where as we now have the residency.

It was a tough call to move as we were both on the same money in our respective roles, and both had career options, but my company got in there first with the offer of a new position.

We always knew my work would mean a move to AKL if i wanted to progress further given the difference in size of the airports but we didn't expect to be moving so soon. Unfortunately her company don't have an office here so a transfer is not possible. I owe her big time for being so supportive!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That all sounds a bit daunting and a whole lot of exciting.

It will be interesting to read how you go on settling into your new Auckland lives.

Sort of a bit envious in a way. New beginnings can be such fun.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

2 weeks on a blow up bed in AKL is nearly at an end. Removers came today to our place in Wellington to pack everything up. I wasnt there to see it but the other half reports they did a good job. The send up by rail. Delivery booked in for Saturday.

Enjoying looking out the window at the deck in the new place, the famously good AKL weather has so far not materialized. Also eyeing up a ridiculously large and expensive BBQ in a local shop http://www.bbqsandmore.co.nz/ which I think will fit just right.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Barbie with a nice price too.

It'll be great to have your own stuff around you again & a decent bed!
Gorgeous weather today.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madao
2 weeks on a blow up bed in AKL is nearly at an end.
Oh I feel for you! The blow up bed idea seemed a good one until we ended up on it for a month! I was so happy when the (un)packers finally delivered my kingsize!