Four

Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:09 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Four

Four years ago to this day we left our old lives behind to start anew in NZ. We rented out our bungalow in Kenilworth and opted to move to Christchurch where wifey (main applicant) had been offered a job. Yes saying goodbye is never going to be easy but it will always be a thing that will stay that way.
We rented a house in Burnside, lucky to cut through the endless queue’s of other hopeful’s of them day shortages of available properties and settled into life of Warehouse cheapies to get through to container arrival. Every plastic meat tray or cardboard box can become a much sought after furniture item in days of need. After 1 year we managed to sell up in the UK and raise a deposit to buy our own house about 100 mtrs away from our then rental in Burnside. I have spent a very enjoyable 2 years ripping the bathroom and toilet out and kitchen and hands on fitting our own units, decorating the house top to bottom, having HRV fitted (best thing we ever did) getting an electrician to upgrade the consumer unit to MCB,s from old fuse board, ripping out the old fireplace and rebuilding my own (we still had a chimney) and getting a firm to fit an inset log burner complete with council permits. Removing old lino and sanding back lovely Rimu floors in kitchen, bathroom and toilet.
We have both had bouts of what people call homesickness what I prefer to think of as unfamiliarity but they have receded with time. I did make the mistake of driving Jo my wife out to one of our big beaches in a period of ‘down’.....there wasn’t a soul to be seen in either direction for miles, she completely collapsed into tears! Yes we have been back since for a journey that involved daughter and two granddaughters, more goodbye’s but both of us re affirming that NZ is now home and our UK lives a point in time that has gone never to return.
We both have friend’s of all nationalities and they are all the same, I can’t tell from where they were born nor do I care so long as they are good enough to be called friends. Christchurch is a beautiful city (still) and boasts the best climate in NZ our big blue skies and lack of rain means the washing goes out on the line every week, irrigating the garden is our biggest problem. Yes things can be expensive due to our small market but hey that’s why we came out here ! People say the rivers are polluted with farm run off but the salmon and trout I catch say a different story.
We spent a long time deciding on our move, we travelled the UK top to bottom all through Western Europe to see if there was anywhere we could call home, Scotland came closest but for the weather, a trip to NZ settled all further discussion. We are happy here, miss offspring but they have their own lives to lead and facebook is a distance gobbler.
For all those looking to come out, walk out into the emptiest field or meadow you can find and sit down, if after an hour you are still happy then NZ could be for you, if not rethink!

aroha tatou nz
Old Mar 18th 2016, 10:26 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four

Lovely report. I'm a fan of my HRV too. I'm envious of your rimu floor. Lovely.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 10:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Quality update Stormer. Long may you continue to enjoy your lives in NZ.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 11:03 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Quality update Stormer. Long may you continue to enjoy your lives in NZ.
Thank you 5 years of investigation, one NZ trip and 3 years of site help from this forum paved the way for a smooth transition
Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:53 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update, Stormer. The man's a poet.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Fab update. We're currently going through similar renos, just about to get the rimu polished up.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by janiejones
Fab update. We're currently going through similar renos, just about to get the rimu polished up.
I did mine with a Black and Decker belt sander and satin floor varnish. If you save the sandings off the belt sander you can mix them with a epoxy resin to fill the gaps...or leave them to look like a floor. Wear a face mask as Rimu is a hard wood
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice update!

It is good to hear someone sound so content while still objective about what they have and haven't got.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 6:56 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Storms, not bad this part of the world ay!

Your final sentence I think rings very true. We've been out hiking all weekend (it's been fabulous!) Today we just sat down on a huge rock on top of Mt Cass and listened to nothing but cicada's, birds, the ocean and breeze and I couldn't think of any where else I would rather be

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Mar 20th 2016 at 7:00 am.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez Storms - I thought we were gonna keep Canty a secret!! Now every bugger will want to move here!!
You forgot to mention that not only do we have the best climate in NZ we also have the best Super Rugby and NPC rugby teams!!
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Jeez Storms - I thought we were gonna keep Canty a secret!! Now every bugger will want to move here!!
You forgot to mention that not only do we have the best climate in NZ we also have the best Super Rugby and NPC rugby teams!!
Not forgetting the best Waimak fresh run Chinook salmon.....
and maybe now boasting the biggest traffic roundabout on Mainland NZ...

When I get on my bus from City to home I always feel desperately sorry for a lot of my fellow passengers....it's No 29 bus and goes to the International Airport...

Last edited by Stormer999; Mar 21st 2016 at 1:19 am.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Nice one Storms, not bad this part of the world ay!

Your final sentence I think rings very true. We've been out hiking all weekend (it's been fabulous!) Today we just sat down on a huge rock on top of Mt Cass and listened to nothing but cicada's, birds, the ocean and breeze and I couldn't think of any where else I would rather be
Thanks for the Mt Cass lead, we haven't done that one, usually go out Oxford way to the walks there.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:25 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Thanks for the Mt Cass lead, we haven't done that one, usually go out Oxford way to the walks there.
Try these two on a clear sunny day, both fantastic!

http://transwastecanterbury.co.nz/me...rochure(1).pdf

http://visithurunui.co.nz/images/Hik...1_brochure.pdf

Also if you bike (or just wanna get pissed):

Waipara Valley Vineyard Trail Map : Hurunui Trails - North Canterbury, NZ
Old Mar 21st 2016, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Magic sandfly country ? they like me
Old Mar 21st 2016, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely positive update, thank you x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.