Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

First camping holiday in NZ

First camping holiday in NZ

Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default First camping holiday in NZ

Here is a run down of my recent holiday to Central Otago. We have never camped together as a family and my last time in a tent was 20 years ago !

(I am not using names of people as I may offend some by doing so as they do not like the idea of being on the internet!!! I will use initials. )

Fri 8th Jan :- we left Dunedin in the pouring rain just as the thunder was starting. And it continued on our journey to Roxburgh. We went through several long showers of hail as well on the way. We stopped at Ettrick not far from Roxburgh to get some fruit ( delicious cherries, raspberries and apricots ) and had to wait in the shop until the hailstones stopped! We arrived at my friends cousins ( CR) place and it was decided by all that we should leave the tents in the trailer/van and live in the large basement room. When I say large it was big enough to have a pool table,5 double air mattresses and plenty of floor space for the 9 of us to move about. There was a wash room,a shower and toilet down there so we were well sorted. Plus we were able to use the kitchen facilities. Our first night was laid back……..men( my OH and MS ) went to pub, women( me and JS) and kids visited my friends aunt ( AW) and had a cuppa before going to CR’s takeaway chippy for fish and chips etc and headed back to her house to eat them. We all had a relaxed night on the covered deck sitting on a huge sofa watching the sun go down over the hills, then it was kids bedtime! I did not sleep too well…..my little one had an asthma attack due to the new kitten living at CR’s. Had his inhalers and antihistamine twice a day while we were there and he was ok.

Sat 9th Jan :- Showery day forecast. Most of the gang had a long lie. After brunch they all got on bikes (except me and CS as we did not have bikes) and cycled to Roxburgh Dam. We went in the car with supplies and fishing rods and met them there. Spent a few hours there fishing and sitting in the sun……yes it came out for a wee while. On return my friend and I went to the supermarket for some supplies and we had a DVD night for the kids. My OH and MS went on a drive in the hills to see if my OH could get some pics of the sunset but light was crap, apparently. So they played about crossing fords in the 4WD!!!!! Another crap night sleep for me. CR and her family were away overnight at a family gathering in Alexandra, camping. The weather was dreadful.

Sun 10th Jan :- Rain is pouring down! Decided to drive in to Alexandra and have a look about the place. Pissed down as we walked around the town. We headed to tourist info place and what a lovely surprise. They have an area that has an exhibition showing how it was to live and work in the area and about mining for gold. Also they had a huge map of the area on the wall, lots of info and a nice wee shop. We went to the Fat Badger for lunch, which was great. Had to buy the boys a pair of long trousers as hadn’t packed any but it was a bit cold and thought they may need them if the weather did not improve. My friend and her family headed back but we ( me,OH and 2 boys ) went for a drive to a lookout point above Alex and the sun came out. We could see the Clutha River…..what an amazing colour it is,so greeny-blue. Also part of the Otago rail trail and snow on the hills! We returned to the house and read while the kids played on their bikes. CR and her family arrived back from the chippy and we all had a DVD night and a few drinks as we were leaving in the morning.

Mon 11th Jan :- We got packed up ( which took a while! ) and headed for Cromwell. The weather had improved a bit….at least it was dry and a bit warmer. The scenery was amazing. We arrived at the campsite and set about getting the tents up. Now, we bought our tent in the UK to come to NZ so we only put it up once to check it over. Not to worry though as we managed to get it up and pegged down ok. It did take a good 1.5 hours though to get it up,empty the trailer and get organised. Needless to say the kids were sent off to play after a while. And met 5 other kids from their school! A quick trip to the supermarket for supplies and we were back and cooking dinner. The campsite facilities were fantastic and a relaxed night was had by all. Once again my OH disappeared to take some pics. The boys and I played a game of Spin and Shout.
Attached Thumbnails First camping holiday in NZ-dscf8002.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7821.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First camping holiday in NZ

Tue 12th Jan :- SUN SUN SUN when we woke so off to Wanaka we go! We drove up the length of Lake Dunstan and the water is an amazing colour. We get to Wanaka and the place was stunning but busy. After a walk about we walk along the shore of the lake and the kids go to the play park. After a while they decide they are hungry so we go for lunch………..note to self; take lunch with us next time so as not to pay $65 again. The boys get in to their wetsuits and head in to the water to play. I decide to go for a walk around the shops to try to cool down. The weather is lovely and very warm. When I get back my OH and the kids are in a pedallo type boat on the Lake. We leave there late afternoon and drive round to Lake Hawea, which is beautiful. We head back down the other side of Lake Dunstan and back to the tent for dinner. What a lovely night sitting outside in the sun with a glass of wine, the kids off on their bikes playing. A quick game of dominoes before they went to bed then sleep.
Attached Thumbnails First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7824.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7847.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7858.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7873.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Wed 13th Jan :- What a night!!! The wind howled and the rain poured. I got very little sleep, as I was petrified the tent would take off. However, we were up early and sorted to head off to Queenstown for the day. We stopped off at a few places along the way; the bridge and river used in Lord of the Rings as the Pillar of the Kings and the bungy at Kawarau gorge. My friend has done this bungy,but it is not for me I am afraid. I am a big coward. I hate heights and walking along paths with no railings etc,boats and gondolas. So off we go to Queenstown and the jet boat,the gondola and the top of a mountain!!!!! We had lunch sitting by Lake Wakatipu watching SS Earnslaw coming in to dock. My Oh and the boys went on the jet boat and loved it. I sat at the water having a coffee and people watched. Then we met up with our friends again and went up the gondola. The views from the top were stunning…….as long as I had my back against a wall. The kids went on the luge and loved it. I was sick just watching them going back up the mountain on the very flimsy looking ski lift. We then headed back down and had fish and chips beside the lake for tea. Our drive back was a bit of a detour as my OH wanted to explore a wee bit off the beaten track,but was thwarted by Private land signs and closed roads. We got home tired and ready for bed. The weather had been dry, reasonably warm but cloudy. A glass of wine and I was asleep.
Attached Thumbnails First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7877.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dsc00042.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7902.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7910.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7931.jpg  

Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thu 14th Jan :- Weather a bit mixed again. Took a trip in to Cromwell old town. This set of buildings had been moved and rebuilt to preserve a bit of local history when the area was flooded and the dam built. Had some nice wee boutique type shops. We then bought stuff for lunch then headed off to drive along the Nevis Road. Well, when I say road I mean a dirt track up a big hill. This leads to Duffer Saddle, which is a pass on the road. At this point it is the highest road in New Zealand. We continued down into the valley and sat by the River Nevis looking at Ben Nevis eating our lunch. Then my OH and eldest son did some gold panning in the river. We then headed back and the others had a fresh fruit ice cream; they add the fruit of your choice and mix it there and then with the ice cream or frozen yoghurt. I am not keen on ice cream so I just sat in the sun. We headed back to the campsite and the boys played on the huge inflated pillow…..about 30 ft long by 10 ft wide. They loved it. It was always busy and the kids all played well together….even when playing bullrush!! We decided that we would stay an extra couple of nights as the weather was picking up and I was not due back at work until 21st. We all had a game of spin and shout before the boys went to sleep. My friend and her family were leaving in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails First camping holiday in NZ-dsc_9364-1.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7940.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7937.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Fri 15th Jan :- After the others left we decided to explore an area called Bannockburn sluicings. This is where they mined for gold by using water to sluice away the soil and rocks. It was just like a desert, and it was also very warm, about 25 degrees. Off we went on the walk. The signs said it was around 2 hours to do. The climbs were a bit scary and some of the paths were right on the edge of cliffs with nothing to stop you from falling. I was scared at one point and had a panic attack………not my best moment but got over it. There were lots of caves to explore and plaques along the way telling you about the process and where you were. We came across an old house and an orchard full of pear and apricot trees full of fruit. There was also a wee burn (creek) and the boys did some gold panning and found some very small flakes of gold. It took us around 3 hours as we kept stopping to look at things and explore. We then went to a small place on Lake Dunstan called Cripplecreek and did some fishing for a few hours. Then home for dinner, a glass of wine and bed.

First camping holiday in NZ-dsc_9425.jpg
Attached Thumbnails First camping holiday in NZ-dsc_9418.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dsc_9430.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dsc_9427.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Sat 16th Jan :- Our last full day. We put the canoe on the car and headed back to Cripplecreek for the day. We had the place to ourselves. My OH and the boys spent the day either in the canoe on the lake, fishing or just playing in the water. I sat in my chair reading a book, in between providing food and fluids as well as re-applying sun cream. The weather was amazing and topped 30 degrees. We had a visit from the water agency man who gave us some stuff to clean the boat, paddles and rods etc with before we left as the lake has dydimo (a bacteria or algae I believe). We also had a visit from the Fish and Game man to check on our fishing license, which we have. My Oh took the canoe out with his fly rod in hand and disappeared for a bit on his own……….and came back with a big brown trout. Cool or what. Guess what was for dinner that night? We started to pack some stuff before having an early night.
Attached Thumbnails First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7953.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7956.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7963.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7977.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7985.jpg  

Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sun 17th Jan :- Well, we finally got everything packed up without too many arguments! We came back the long way, stopping in Omakau for lunch before heading to St Bathans to see the blue lake………which is no longer very blue! Apparently it was a few years back but due to the minerals depleting and whatever runs in off the land now it has changed. We came back via Ranfurly, Clarks Junction and Middlemarch (where we stopped off for ice cream). Needless to say we arrived back in Dunedin tired. It had been warm, sunny and 25 degrees in Cromwell and we arrived back to drizzle, clouds and 15 degrees. Still,the car needed unloading and bags emptied.

First camping holiday in NZ-dscf8004.jpg

Overall we enjoyed our holiday. Yes the weather could have been better at the start but you just get on with it, don’t you? After much scepticism on my part I will be going camping again. Next trip? Down to the Catlins I think.

Oops and some pics I should have put in 1st post at Roxburgh dam
Attached Thumbnails First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7792.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7817.jpg   First camping holiday in NZ-dscf7814.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:57 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

It all sounds and look lovely. So glad to hear you enjoyed it. We are off on our first Kiwi camping trip on Thursday ... any tips on essentials to take? Other than wine ...
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:34 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
It all sounds and look lovely. So glad to hear you enjoyed it. We are off on our first Kiwi camping trip on Thursday ... any tips on essentials to take? Other than wine ...
Yup we went camping too.... here's what was really usefull

- BIG citronella candles - kept all the bugs away
- head lamp - great for goign to the loo at night when you need both hands
- bug spray
- large bowl or bag to carry washing up to kitchen
- washing line or stand and pegs
- solar lights to mark where the guy ropes are (fatal in the dark after a glass or two)
- mobile phone charger (I got a wind up one which didn't work)
- EARPLUGS

Hope you have a great time.

Jan
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:39 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Looks like you all had a good holiday. Camping is not my thing though. 5* or nothing I'm afraid.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:08 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Where are you going camping ?
If its Rotorua take some mozi repellent the sand flies bite like mad.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:47 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds fabulous!

We're off on our first Kiwi camping trip at the weekend too- just for one night to start with!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:59 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by weejie
Here is a run down of my recent holiday to Central Otago. We have never camped together as a family and my last time in a tent was 20 years ago !

(I am not using names of people as I may offend some by doing so as they do not like the idea of being on the internet!!! I will use initials. )

Fri 8th Jan :- we left Dunedin in the pouring rain just as the thunder was starting. And it continued on our journey to Roxburgh. We went through several long showers of hail as well on the way. We stopped at Ettrick not far from Roxburgh to get some fruit ( delicious cherries, raspberries and apricots ) and had to wait in the shop until the hailstones stopped! We arrived at my friends cousins ( CR) place and it was decided by all that we should leave the tents in the trailer/van and live in the large basement room. When I say large it was big enough to have a pool table,5 double air mattresses and plenty of floor space for the 9 of us to move about. There was a wash room,a shower and toilet down there so we were well sorted. Plus we were able to use the kitchen facilities. Our first night was laid back……..men( my OH and MS ) went to pub, women( me and JS) and kids visited my friends aunt ( AW) and had a cuppa before going to CR’s takeaway chippy for fish and chips etc and headed back to her house to eat them. We all had a relaxed night on the covered deck sitting on a huge sofa watching the sun go down over the hills, then it was kids bedtime! I did not sleep too well…..my little one had an asthma attack due to the new kitten living at CR’s. Had his inhalers and antihistamine twice a day while we were there and he was ok.

Sat 9th Jan :- Showery day forecast. Most of the gang had a long lie. After brunch they all got on bikes (except me and CS as we did not have bikes) and cycled to Roxburgh Dam. We went in the car with supplies and fishing rods and met them there. Spent a few hours there fishing and sitting in the sun……yes it came out for a wee while. On return my friend and I went to the supermarket for some supplies and we had a DVD night for the kids. My OH and MS went on a drive in the hills to see if my OH could get some pics of the sunset but light was crap, apparently. So they played about crossing fords in the 4WD!!!!! Another crap night sleep for me. CR and her family were away overnight at a family gathering in Alexandra, camping. The weather was dreadful.

Sun 10th Jan :- Rain is pouring down! Decided to drive in to Alexandra and have a look about the place. Pissed down as we walked around the town. We headed to tourist info place and what a lovely surprise. They have an area that has an exhibition showing how it was to live and work in the area and about mining for gold. Also they had a huge map of the area on the wall, lots of info and a nice wee shop. We went to the Fat Badger for lunch, which was great. Had to buy the boys a pair of long trousers as hadn’t packed any but it was a bit cold and thought they may need them if the weather did not improve. My friend and her family headed back but we ( me,OH and 2 boys ) went for a drive to a lookout point above Alex and the sun came out. We could see the Clutha River…..what an amazing colour it is,so greeny-blue. Also part of the Otago rail trail and snow on the hills! We returned to the house and read while the kids played on their bikes. CR and her family arrived back from the chippy and we all had a DVD night and a few drinks as we were leaving in the morning.

Mon 11th Jan :- We got packed up ( which took a while! ) and headed for Cromwell. The weather had improved a bit….at least it was dry and a bit warmer. The scenery was amazing. We arrived at the campsite and set about getting the tents up. Now, we bought our tent in the UK to come to NZ so we only put it up once to check it over. Not to worry though as we managed to get it up and pegged down ok. It did take a good 1.5 hours though to get it up,empty the trailer and get organised. Needless to say the kids were sent off to play after a while. And met 5 other kids from their school! A quick trip to the supermarket for supplies and we were back and cooking dinner. The campsite facilities were fantastic and a relaxed night was had by all. Once again my OH disappeared to take some pics. The boys and I played a game of Spin and Shout.
Your photos bring back some good memories stayed on the Cromwell camp site 6 years ago
and know that area well.
I still keep in touch with friends from Cromwell.
A lovely place to camp and a great place to visit.With some good gold mining history
You have made me want to go back there before i have to go back to the UK
I learned how to pan for gold in the Arrow River and used to swim in lake Hayes
Great photos thanks for bringing back some good memories
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Yup we went camping too.... here's what was really usefull

- BIG citronella candles - kept all the bugs away
- head lamp - great for goign to the loo at night when you need both hands
- bug spray
- large bowl or bag to carry washing up to kitchen
- washing line or stand and pegs
- solar lights to mark where the guy ropes are (fatal in the dark after a glass or two)
- mobile phone charger (I got a wind up one which didn't work)
- EARPLUGS

Hope you have a great time.

Jan
At least you have the essentials As Jan says all of the above and:-

-We took an electric chilly bin to keep essential dairy items in as we had a powered site.
-Also,pillows!!! We forgot and had to use rolled up blankets stuffed in the sleeping bag holder.
-Dishtowels and some kitchen roll
-We used the battery powered bug spray thing from the house on the inside of the tent. Just turned it on around 7pm and put it off as we went to bed. Seemed to work a treat as no bugs in the tent and no bites.
-Books or some games for kids;we took dominoes,pictureka,scrabble and spin & shout. Not just used if wet,our 2 wanted a game before bed.

Where are you off to? Hope you have a great time.

Phyl x
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:53 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
At least you have the essentials As Jan says all of the above and:-

-We took an electric chilly bin to keep essential dairy items in as we had a powered site.
-Also,pillows!!! We forgot and had to use rolled up blankets stuffed in the sleeping bag holder.
-Dishtowels and some kitchen roll
-We used the battery powered bug spray thing from the house on the inside of the tent. Just turned it on around 7pm and put it off as we went to bed. Seemed to work a treat as no bugs in the tent and no bites.
-Books or some games for kids;we took dominoes,pictureka,scrabble and spin & shout. Not just used if wet,our 2 wanted a game before bed.

Where are you off to? Hope you have a great time.

Phyl x
Ah yes pillows - my DOH said we had to have them...I complained about lack of car space BUT (as always) she was right - the kids used them to sleep on the car drive and it was much better than a folded towel!

We used a Raid Automatic - brill

Our site had a walk in fridge which was $1 a day and superb at 30c in the shade - everyone was volunteering to get the food just to stand in the fridge to cool down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.