Eight month update

Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eight month update

Eight months..wow. Actually it seems longer, feels like I've been here for years (in good and bad ways!)

I'm still in Rotorua but have semi-definite plans to move on before the end of the year. Had a good look at the Australia visa system but looks like I don't have enough points for an independent visa and, as I don't fancy being tied to an employer over there, I've decided to stay on in NZ and try my luck somewhere else.

So, after a lot of web surfing and talking to friends around the country I've decided that Auckland is for me. Should be able to get a job up there reasonably easily and, thanks to paying stupidly high rent here should be able to afford to rent a place there without too much strain on the finances.

As I'm on a work visa at the moment I've also decided to just bite the bullet and apply for PR. I would need to apply for a new work visa to move jobs anyway so might as well just go for it now. I'm making tentative plans to move around Sept/Oct time, possibly a bit mad to move at world cup time but I'm hoping long term rentals shouldn't be affected too much by the influx of fans.

Other than that what's been going on? Well my mum came for a 4 week visit in February. Was great to see her but living with your mother after not staying in the same house for over 20 years is a bit of a strain!She loved it though so I guess thats the main thing.
Socially things are ok, I have enough going on to not go stir crazy so I'm happy with that for now.
Work is still good, almost finished off all my overseas competencies to get my full registration so that'll help in my job search in Auckland.

Oh and best for last, I'm off to Sydney on Sunday to see my favourite author Terry Pratchett at the Opera House then a days sight seeing before heading home again on Tuesday. Cant believe I'm just 'hoping over' to Australia..still seems a wee bit mad

So, all in all, things are good. I love New Zealand and Rotorua is a nice town and I do love the unit I work in and the folks I work with but its just not for me, not now at least and I'm glad to have made a decision that'll hopefully make me even happier than I am now.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eight month update

Originally Posted by lisamct
Eight months..wow. Actually it seems longer, feels like I've been here for years (in good and bad ways!)

I'm still in Rotorua but have semi-definite plans to move on before the end of the year. Had a good look at the Australia visa system but looks like I don't have enough points for an independent visa and, as I don't fancy being tied to an employer over there, I've decided to stay on in NZ and try my luck somewhere else.

So, after a lot of web surfing and talking to friends around the country I've decided that Auckland is for me. Should be able to get a job up there reasonably easily and, thanks to paying stupidly high rent here should be able to afford to rent a place there without too much strain on the finances.

As I'm on a work visa at the moment I've also decided to just bite the bullet and apply for PR. I would need to apply for a new work visa to move jobs anyway so might as well just go for it now. I'm making tentative plans to move around Sept/Oct time, possibly a bit mad to move at world cup time but I'm hoping long term rentals shouldn't be affected too much by the influx of fans.

Other than that what's been going on? Well my mum came for a 4 week visit in February. Was great to see her but living with your mother after not staying in the same house for over 20 years is a bit of a strain!She loved it though so I guess thats the main thing.
Socially things are ok, I have enough going on to not go stir crazy so I'm happy with that for now.
Work is still good, almost finished off all my overseas competencies to get my full registration so that'll help in my job search in Auckland.

Oh and best for last, I'm off to Sydney on Sunday to see my favourite author Terry Pratchett at the Opera House then a days sight seeing before heading home again on Tuesday. Cant believe I'm just 'hoping over' to Australia..still seems a wee bit mad

So, all in all, things are good. I love New Zealand and Rotorua is a nice town and I do love the unit I work in and the folks I work with but its just not for me, not now at least and I'm glad to have made a decision that'll hopefully make me even happier than I am now.
All sounds positive,good on ya !
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Cheers for that update mate. Hope the planned move to Auckland goes well
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:22 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Great update, thank you. Always good to hear of someone being proactive if things aren't absolutely ticking all the boxes. Good for you and best of luck with your plans.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering where you are planning to work in Auckland Lisa? Good luck with your plans
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Just wondering where you are planning to work in Auckland Lisa?
Not sure yet, where ever will have me I guess!
I'm trying to avoid working in the big hospitals so I'm hoping for Papakura or Botany, or possibly Birthcare in Parnell. Have a trip up in May to visit a friend, who happens to be a midwife up there too, so going to have a couple of informal visits and look around for likely rental area options and take it from there.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure yet, where ever will have me I guess!
I'm trying to avoid working in the big hospitals so I'm hoping for Papakura or Botany, or possibly Birthcare in Parnell. Have a trip up in May to visit a friend, who happens to be a midwife up there too, so going to have a couple of informal visits and look around for likely rental area options and take it from there.
I used to work at Birthcare, a nice place to work but it's mainly PN stuff so it can get a bit boring. Definitely avoid Auckland City & North Shore hospitals. I have a friend who works at Middlemore & prefers it there to ACH. Have you been in touch with Louloumama? She's at Waitakere, which is a nice wee unit.

Best of luck
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I used to work at Birthcare, a nice place to work but it's mainly PN stuff so it can get a bit boring. Definitely avoid Auckland City & North Shore hospitals. I have a friend who works at Middlemore & prefers it there to ACH. Have you been in touch with Louloumama? She's at Waitakere, which is a nice wee unit.

Best of luck
Thanks for that, I have a friend who works in Birthcare, she says the same, nice place but only if your happy pretty much only providing PN care. Just contacted Louloumama today so hoping to get the lowdown on Waitakere from her.
I'm definitely avoiding the bigger units, 'been there, done that' in the Uk and getting away from that was one of the reasons I came over to NZ in the first place.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Good luck for the change Lisa.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

I'm definitely avoiding the bigger units, 'been there, done that' in the Uk and getting away from that was one of the reasons I came over to NZ in the first place.
Just sent you a pm hun...... Waitakere gets my vote Very different to "the bigger units" .

Lou x
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Thanks for that, I have a friend who works in Birthcare, she says the same, nice place but only if your happy pretty much only providing PN care. Just contacted Louloumama today so hoping to get the lowdown on Waitakere from her.
Oooooo I'm sooooooooooooo nosy, who do you know at Birthcare???????