Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

6 weeks in and wondering !!!

6 weeks in and wondering !!!

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

mart19630 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 weeks in and wondering !!!

Hi all, reading all the recent threads we felt it was time to add our experience to date. Like some of you we have had good and bad luck on our adventure with mixed feelings on did we do the right thing
We arrived on August the 16th with our house sale falling through 3 days before we left, which has still not been sold to date.
My partner is a nurse and was given a week off before she started which was great and we managed to sort most of the usual bank, tax,car, phones etc and do a bit of sight seeing, unfortunately we then had to move three times in as many weeks due to a mix up on accommodation we were offered with my partners job.
When she started work no one knew she was starting or that we had arrived and it was very difficult for her for the first few weeks, but as everyone states the people are so friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. We have now settled in a nice furnished apartment mainly because we are having to leave all our money behind to pay the mortgage etc on our house there. Just hope it sells soon before we run out.
I have found it hard to get a job mainly due to my type of work (not a lot of call for it where we are at present) but we agreed to go where ever who got a job offer first and I lost,
We have both been ill since being here to, my partner more than me being a nurse she tends to pick up every thing the patience have which has been a struggle for her. I am still recovering from a knee injury.
We try to get away at weekends but with money tight due to the UK house it is on a restricted budget saying that we have managed to due some quite exciting things. We like to spend as much time in Nelson at the free weekends as we really like the buzz and area and have met some really nice people there although the first time we went I had to take my partner to A & E within half hour of being there, another bug,
As with a lot of other peoples comments we too are in our late 40's and felt we may have been too old to do this but hey it is an adventure and you only live once and we have no regrets to date just a bit of bad luck but no where near as some people have had.
Over all we know we did the right thing for the right reasons but do struggle with our situation at present. Things can only get better.
We would like to thank every one for their personal threads as they have been very helpful and supportive and helped make some of our decisions easier.
Good luck to everyone in a similar situation it all works out in the end.

Regards

Martin & Mel
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 1:49 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 weeks in and wondering !!!

Excellent. Glad you've been able to start settling into your accommodation. What a way for her to start her employment I sometimes wonder how those in the medical profession don't get ill more often. My own doctor, back in Britain says she puts her good immune system down to working in the pathology lab years ago, she said, 'all those bones.' Oh gee, thanks for telling me that !

I sympathise regarding your house sale falling through. There are others on this site that have gone through that.

My life may not be one big bowl of cherries but that's one thing we didn't have to worry about, fortunately.

The six weeks being technically homeless prior to coming to NZ is a whole other story. As is the first 8 months in NZ as from Feb 2011. I'm so glad that's two years ago ! (Even if it doesn't feel like it)

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 3rd 2013 at 2:17 am. Reason: Thought of something else
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 2:06 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 weeks in and wondering !!!

Our house fell through also before we moved over, had made all the moving arrangements and on the day of exchange/complete, waiting for the phone call to say signed we instead got Buyer says they can longer afford it. I had been making noises along these line with the estate agent and them refusing to put the house back on the market I was not impressed. Worked out for us in the end as we accepted a better offer 2 weeks after going back on the market, so fingers crossed for you guys it won't be much longer. We actually stopped paying the mortgage and had discussed the possibility of a mortgage break so may be something you could look in to.
We also have found we have been more ill since being here, on the Australian forum another lady was saying the same and people mentioned about differing strains of bugs that our bodies need to get used to. Which sort of makes sense.
Hopefully Mel is settled in work now and that you find something you may enjoy.