Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Need Advice on International Schools near Nusajaya

Need Advice on International Schools near Nusajaya

Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Advice on International Schools near Nusajaya

Hi Clo,

Since your child is two years old, Sri Ara would be out of the question since they take children from 4 years+. The day care centre in the US that your child attends now sounds lovely, but I haven't heard of any day care or nursery schools that take care of children on a full-day basis in the Nusajaya or Johor Bahru area. And even if there were any, they might not meet your expectations... I am assuming you are American. Maybe you would like to google the "Johor International Ladies Group." There are a few American mums in that group with kids your age, and they all live in Nusajaya. You could join that group and ask the ladies there for advice. Good luck!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

lene619 is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice is not to enrol in tenby international school.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lene619
My advice is not to enrol in tenby international school.
Oh dear. Doesn't sound decent then. Wonder if you can express your dislike?

We were looking forward to visiting the school.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Oh dear. Doesn't sound decent then. Wonder if you can express your dislike?
We were looking forward to visiting the school.

Hi Harlow, are you looking for a school too?

Yea, we had a bad experience there. In fact, in was since that experience that we decided to really look more into the other international schools' details like teachers, curriculum etc.

We don't like the way Tenby handed the enrolment process.
To us, they "failed" as a schol and deprived students from actual learning.

I can't write the full details of our experience now but I'll let you know more later today if you are interested to know.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lene619
Hi Harlow, are you looking for a school too?

Yea, we had a bad experience there. In fact, in was since that experience that we decided to really look more into the other international schools' details like teachers, curriculum etc.

We don't like the way Tenby handed the enrolment process.
To us, they "failed" as a schol and deprived students from actual learning.

I can't write the full details of our experience now but I'll let you know more later today if you are interested to know.
Hi Lene619,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience encounter. I've read about others review as well. They seem to be more concentrate in running it as a business than a school. Yes please do share more about your experience. Anyone else have any experience are more than welcome to chip in.

Yes we are in the jungle looking school as well. Sadly we couldn't get a place in the Singapore public school.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Hi Lene619,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience encounter. I've read about others review as well. They seem to be more concentrate in running it as a business than a school. Yes please do share more about your experience. Anyone else have any experience are more than welcome to chip in.

Yes we are in the jungle looking school as well. Sadly we couldn't get a place in the Singapore public school.
Ahh... we didn't try SG schools but opt to find an international school instead.

Yes exactly! Their daily meal cost RM15!
They phoned us last month asking us if our gal would like to try out on their "discovery day". It'll cost RM300 to register plus we hafta submit all our particulars so they can proceed to enroll our gal should she passed her assessment on the "discovery day". We agreed to it and so we were scheduled to go on a Wednesday.

On that day, we did all the paper works and stuffs while our gal went on to have her (year 1)assessment test with the administrator.
When she came out 30mins later, the administrator told us that our gal will be joining the currently ongoing year 1 class for the day so that she'll roughly know hows the class will be like when she joins. We were ok with everything so we walked together to the class before leaving. The administrator kept assuring us that everything's ok and that we can leave now and to come back again at 2:30pm to fetch our gal. As a mum, of cause I'll be worried so we tagged along until the the administrator knocked on the class door and the teacher opened the door to let our gal in.
I wanted to see my gal settled in before we leave but the administrator kept telling us to leave. I saw that the teacher didn't introduced herself nor my gal to the class. My gal was looking for a place to put her bag and water bottle and the teacher just continued on with her class ignoring my gal. The administrator then walked us to the gate and then we said goodbye as she went back to the office.

At 2:30pm, when we went back to the class, we were told to go straight to the office to fetch our gal. At the office, the administrator told us to wait 2 days for the administrations process.
2 days later, we did received a call from tenby. The administrator told us that we'll need to reschedule another "discovery day" with them on the next wed as our gal didn't do the class work that the teacher required her to do as my gal was sitting at a corner doing her own stuffs. We were told that our gal had passed the assessment test so no test will be given again.

The following wed, we went again. This time, I linger longer and the same thing happened again. Nothing was said and my gal just stood there while the teacher ignored her not telling my gal what she need to do. The administrator told us to come back again at 2:30pm and walked us to the gate. This time, we drove outta the school and came back 15mins later. There were kids running around the class doing their own things and i saw my gal doing some school work so we left.

At 2:30pm, i went to the office and was told to go to the class room to fetch my gal. The administrator told me that it's very unfortunate that she can't accept my gal. Feeling curious, I asked what was the reason. She said I'm not so sure but you'll have to speak with the teacher about it. So I did! The teacher said that these 2 discovery days, she was the only teacher and that my gal was too busy walking around the class, not sitting down and not doing the class work she gave her. At first I was told my gal sat at a corner and now you are telling me my gal is walking around and refused to sit down? The teacher just shook her head and said she's the only teacher for the class. The administrator then add on trying to say that they want students who sits quietly and are well behaved and not those that run around doing her own things. She's hinting that my gal is not disciplined enough for the school. The last thing that she said is still in my head. She said if i want, I can apply again in 6 months time and that even if I applied, she still won't accept this kind of behavior.

At first I was told my gal only sat at a corner and now i was told she won't sit down. How could the class only have 1 teacher for the whole day? Even in the school my gal is attending for 3 years has different teachers for different lessons and subjects. What kind of behavior does the school really wants? Is tenby that prestigious that they only accept disciplined students?
My gal is only 6 years old. She don't know the students nor the teacher. Even the teacher herself didn't introduced herself to my gal. Why expect so much from a little kid?

Sigh... At first we only wanted to just find an international school nearby to enroll our gal. After this incident, we really looked into every details. We went to Austin Heights, Fairview and Sri Ara. Different schools uses different curriculum, IPC or IB. W've decided to enroll our gal into Fairview after talking to the teachers and that it is adopting an IB standard. We like their way of teaching. There will be a private and international fair on 27th Oct. We'll be going there to register on that day cause the administrator told us that they'll be giving ipad mini to students who enroll on that day.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 12:36 am
Just Joined

mfwarren is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Clo,

Cherie Hearts & Hilltop should be able to take your son in.

My husband & I liked both these pre-schools but here are some of the pros & cons.

Cherie Hearts
Pros
- location in Bukit Indah, so within Nusajaya area
- set-up like a proper pre-school / learning environment
- Principle - Samantha seems very nice and is a teacher herself (with a teaching background). This is not necessarily a pre-requiste in some pre-schools.
- They will accommodate transport arrangments if you live in HH/Bukit Indah
( this is done by the teachers themselves as they don't have a school bus service)
- Its a childcare so you have option of half day or full day.

Negatives
- Fully indoor. It is within a shop-house

Fees: I think its RM600 a month (Half Day)

Hill-top
Pros
- well established pre-school in Johor
- well set-up educational environment and believes in learning through play
- good outdoor play area
- teaching staff have been there for years, Jennifer Ho, the principle has been there since 1973 and still very involved
- It is a non-profit school

Negatives
- It is a very old school, does not have new facilities, computers are old, etc
- It is in JB Town (at least 20 minutes drive from Nusajaya)
- It has no school bus arrangements
- It a kindy so school ends at 12:45pm
Fees: I think its RM490 a month (8:45am - 12:45pm)

I'm not sure if some of the International schools take kids in at that age.

Hope this helps.

We plan to send our 3 year old to Hilltop but still terying to figure out the transport arrangements.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Hi Lene619,

Could you share a little bit more about Fairview International. I am a fan of IB programme cirriculum. I love the fact that it encourages creative thinking and self-expression but am apprehensive if it can be well taught in Johor. I feel it requires open-minded, knoweldgable and patient teachers to be able teach the syllabus well.

I could not find much information about the school on the web but I read one review and it wasn't very positive.

1) How would you rate the calibre of the teachers? Can they communicate well & fluently?
2) I imagine the teachers are all local but is it a good mix amongst the locals?
3) What is the class sizes like?
4) Do they have kids of various nationalities?
5) Do they have school bus arrangements?

I noticed you are also at Ledang Heights. We will be moving in December 2013and would be great to meet a neighbour!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mfwarren
Hi Lene619,

Could you share a little bit more about Fairview International. I am a fan of IB programme cirriculum. I love the fact that it encourages creative thinking and self-expression but am apprehensive if it can be well taught in Johor. I feel it requires open-minded, knoweldgable and patient teachers to be able teach the syllabus well.

I could not find much information about the school on the web but I read one review and it wasn't very positive.

1) How would you rate the calibre of the teachers? Can they communicate well & fluently?
2) I imagine the teachers are all local but is it a good mix amongst the locals?
3) What is the class sizes like?
4) Do they have kids of various nationalities?
5) Do they have school bus arrangements?

I noticed you are also at Ledang Heights. We will be moving in December 2013and would be great to meet a neighbour!
Hi mfwarren,

I like IB programme too! Yea, No much could be found on their webbie as some of the links doesn't work as well.

We only managed to talk to 3 of the PYP teachers that day. one is a local, one is an Indian and the other from Philippines. 3 of them are very fluent in english especially the Indian teacher. There are Caucasians teachers as well.

The Indian lady teacher is in charge of the current grade 1 class which consist of 25 students. We were told that 25 students is the max in a class. Currently, they only have 1 grade 1 class and it's max so they suggested us to join their 2nd intake which will commence in January 2014.

The school starts at 7:30am to 1.20pm. This is the only school that ends school so early compared to the other international schools. Others usually ends around 2:30-3pm. It's not a big school as they are using Johorland's facilities including the swimming pool etc. The administrator told us that they had already purchased a land nearby their current location and will move over once it's completed.

Yes, their current grade 1 class has other nationalities as well as other grades.

The grade 1 form teacher showed us what they were teaching in class and some of the projects the students did as well. On the class room door, there are pictures of students on the door. Under each picture, there are descriptions like open-minded, inquirer, balanced, thinkers etc. Which I think is quite good actually as their class just commenced last month and the teachers already know the characteristics of them. She said they did that so as to group them together to do activities so they can help one another etc.

There's school bus arrangements but we didn't ask caused we'll be driving her to school. It'll take about 20mins drive to reach the school from our house.

We were told that they will have a primary checkpoint exam at grade 6. They'll have to do a project and an exhibition in the end. Same goes for middle years program in grade 11. Then there's pre university or IB diploma program to choose from there. We'll prefer her to take IB program but there's still a very long way to go.

Their maths is Singapore mathematics. There's Chinese and Malay 3 lessons per week around 1hr per lesson i think. keke We asked alot of questions that day so I've forgotten some stuffs.

We quite like IB program more compared to IPC. Academics is important in IPC but IB program helps to build the child's attitude and understanding of what they study instead of just focusing mainly on academics alone.
Just our point of view.

What review did you read about the school that's not good? Can you share with us please?

You'll be moving in to which part of Ledang Heights? Maybe we can meet up and chat sometime. I understand that you've been living in SG for a long time.

My gal has been studying at 3Q MRC at Gelang Patah for 3 years and her sis will be attending 3Q next year. Fairview has program as early as 3 years old but their fees are quite high that's why we're sticking to 3Q MRC. >.<
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Clo
I am moving soon to Nusajaya for work and I need to find a good place where to leave my 2 yeard old son. Here in Houston, where we currently live, he goes to an amazing pre-school, full of activities indoor an outdoor.

Can a 2 yeard old attend any of the pre-schools mentioned above? Sri Ara, Austin Heights, Cherie Hearts, Hilltop? Doas anybody know the minimum age required to attend? What are more or less the tuition fees?
Hi Clo,

Most International schools minimum required age is 3 years old and must be potty trained. Their fees ranging from 1k+ per month.

Pegasus, Austin Heights, Tenby, Fairview and R.E.A.L offers pre-schools.

Some private pre-schools does have half or full day.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Hi Lene619,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on Fairview. I am very encouraged by your feedback and will make an appointment to visit the school next week. I will make it a point to attend the International Schools Fair as well.

To be honest, the review I saw was quite old, I think from 2010. So perhaps a lot has changed.

Our house is right near the entrance, a short walk from the guard house. I will definitely love to meet up when we land in LH.

Will give you an update after a visit to the school.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mfwarren
Hi Lene619,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on Fairview. I am very encouraged by your feedback and will make an appointment to visit the school next week. I will make it a point to attend the International Schools Fair as well.

To be honest, the review I saw was quite old, I think from 2010. So perhaps a lot has changed.

Our house is right near the entrance, a short walk from the guard house. I will definitely love to meet up when we land in LH.

Will give you an update after a visit to the school.

You are most welcome mfwarren! ^_^

Ahh... ok, keep me posted on the outcome of your visit!

Our first choice was Austin Heights at first but the traffic to and fro is very bad.
We tried leaving the school around 3:30pm and the traffic was very slow.
Austin Heights's facilities wise are better than Fairview but they are not IB school.

Ahh... our house is near the guard house too!
Hope to meet you when you move into LH!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi Lene619 thank you for sharing your experience with us. I think we still try to see whats it like. The rest of the others are way too far. Transportation is an issue for both parents working.

We went to Marlborough College open day yesterday. Extremely impressive facility and teaching system. I would of expect its like the normal UK school system but it went beyond and above the norm. Well you really do get what you pay for. We very very impress.

Now lets see how we going to get funding is the challenge LOL!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Hi Lene619 thank you for sharing your experience with us. I think we still try to see whats it like. The rest of the others are way too far. Transportation is an issue for both parents working.

We went to Marlborough College open day yesterday. Extremely impressive facility and teaching system. I would of expect its like the normal UK school system but it went beyond and above the norm. Well you really do get what you pay for. We very very impress.

Now lets see how we going to get funding is the challenge LOL!

You are welcome Harlow! Ahh... for transportation wise, all international schools have school bus arrangements.

Ahh... we like Marlborough as well as Raffles American too!
Both of them are IB curriculum schools. That's why we went looking for more affordable IB school. =p lol Yea, their fees are really expensive!

Most of the international schools in JB are IB schools.
Austin Heights and Tenby international wise are IPC curriculum schools.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:51 pm
Clo
Just Joined

Clo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tjames
Hi, I'm looking for a pre school for my 3 year old son too. Is there a Hilltop branch in Nusajaya or is it just in Johor itself? Going to check out Cherie Hearts tomorrow. Thanks
Tjames, what was your impression of Cherie Hearts? Do they teach Mandarin? do they accetp both 2 years old and 4 years old? Any bus arrangement? I will be leaving East Ledang, but I have no idea how close that is from the Cherie Hearts School.

Did you ever check on HillTop, what was your impression ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.