Worried and terrified!!

Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:11 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Edgewater, Perth
Posts: 107
clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough
Default Worried and terrified!!

Hi all

Have been a nurse for past 15 years, but am absolutely scared to death about going over to work in Oz.

I have worked in a few different areas-surgery, paeds, and my last 3 years i was school nursing. I was then unfortunately unwell, so ended up having the next couple of years off.

I have been back at work now for the past 2 months, and loving being back at work, but i am working on an endoscopy unit-which is very specialised-and very new to me!

The worry i have is that if we do get to go over to oz and i end up back on the wards i will be worried i will be out of my depth!-the last time i worked on a proper ward with iv's etc was 5 years ago, cause obviously endoscopy is only day case, and if pt's are in patients they literally come to us, have the procedure and are then shipped back to the ward!!-hence my worries!

Ramsay healthcare rang me last week for an initial chat, but haven't heard anything since-he said he would now pass my cv onto certain hospitals and managers, and that i need to wait to hear from them-whenever that will be?

I have also emailed melbourne childrens and cabrini health but not heard anything yet-whether i will or not god only knows!!

Anyway, sorry for all my ramblings-so many things going round my head at the moment-as well as selling our house and moving out tomorrow-and in with the in laws!!!

Anyway, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated for this desperate and very worried nurse!!

Claire x
clairey b is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:44 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Keighley West Yorkshire
Posts: 60
ourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really niceourjane211284 is just really nice
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

Hi,

Try and not be too worried. I had a telephone interview the other night and they was really nice and its all gone very quick. They told me that there is a package provided for over seas new starts, and they seemed very nice and helpful.
ourjane211284 is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:46 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Kathryn V's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Huddersfield-Perth-Huddersfield-Perth
Posts: 124
Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

Originally Posted by clairey b View Post
Hi all

Have been a nurse for past 15 years, but am absolutely scared to death about going over to work in Oz.

I have worked in a few different areas-surgery, paeds, and my last 3 years i was school nursing. I was then unfortunately unwell, so ended up having the next couple of years off.

I have been back at work now for the past 2 months, and loving being back at work, but i am working on an endoscopy unit-which is very specialised-and very new to me!

The worry i have is that if we do get to go over to oz and i end up back on the wards i will be worried i will be out of my depth!-the last time i worked on a proper ward with iv's etc was 5 years ago, cause obviously endoscopy is only day case, and if pt's are in patients they literally come to us, have the procedure and are then shipped back to the ward!!-hence my worries!

Ramsay healthcare rang me last week for an initial chat, but haven't heard anything since-he said he would now pass my cv onto certain hospitals and managers, and that i need to wait to hear from them-whenever that will be?

I have also emailed melbourne childrens and cabrini health but not heard anything yet-whether i will or not god only knows!!

Anyway, sorry for all my ramblings-so many things going round my head at the moment-as well as selling our house and moving out tomorrow-and in with the in laws!!!

Anyway, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated for this desperate and very worried nurse!!

Claire x
Hi Claire

Don't be too concerned about the lack of recent surgical experience etc. I was offered a job in WA with almost 13 years post registration experience. However, I had been working in family planning for seven and a half years prior to that.

I worked on a high dependency ward in WA with arterial lines, central venous lines, central venous pressure monitoring, administration of noradrenaline etc and cardiac monitoring. I did not have a clue and was on a steep learning curve for the first few weeks. I even had to re-learn things like using the IV pumps. It does come back to you very quickly though and the staff in my unit were very good.

The manager knew that I did not have any recent ward experience never mind surgical experience, but was happen to take me on. After a year I was promoted to a level 2 and even acted up for my manager on several occasions. So I am sure that you will be fine.

Kathryn
Kathryn V is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:05 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
cheshiremark's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 403
cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

Originally Posted by clairey b View Post
Hi all

Have been a nurse for past 15 years, but am absolutely scared to death about going over to work in Oz.

I have worked in a few different areas-surgery, paeds, and my last 3 years i was school nursing. I was then unfortunately unwell, so ended up having the next couple of years off.

I have been back at work now for the past 2 months, and loving being back at work, but i am working on an endoscopy unit-which is very specialised-and very new to me!

The worry i have is that if we do get to go over to oz and i end up back on the wards i will be worried i will be out of my depth!-the last time i worked on a proper ward with iv's etc was 5 years ago, cause obviously endoscopy is only day case, and if pt's are in patients they literally come to us, have the procedure and are then shipped back to the ward!!-hence my worries!

Ramsay healthcare rang me last week for an initial chat, but haven't heard anything since-he said he would now pass my cv onto certain hospitals and managers, and that i need to wait to hear from them-whenever that will be?

I have also emailed melbourne childrens and cabrini health but not heard anything yet-whether i will or not god only knows!!

Anyway, sorry for all my ramblings-so many things going round my head at the moment-as well as selling our house and moving out tomorrow-and in with the in laws!!!

Anyway, any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated for this desperate and very worried nurse!!

Claire x
Hi Claire,
If you work in an endoscopy unit you must work with patients who have had some sedation. This would mean that you will have developed skills in closely monitoring patient's post procedure and be able to recognize if a patient's condition is deteriorating.

Iv's, yes if you are not used to Iv's then you will need to have some training but that might just mean having to read a small amount of theory and getting another nurse talk you through it a few times. Anyway I've found that generally when making up Iv's you have to get a second nurse to check it with you. If your on a ward that will probably get you through - if your on a more critical area there are other things to be careful of e.g. never give anything via a arterial line, but if they put you to work in one of them areas they will give you training and s period of being supernumerary.

I was nervous coming out here but thats because I only qualified two years ago and worked for a small, quiet CCU in the UK and coming here I wasn't sure if they wanted someone more experienced but I'm glad to say that I found that they are very supportive and I have received plenty of opportunities to enhance my knowledge and skills.

I'm sure it will work out well for you.

Take care,

Mark
cheshiremark is offline  
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:15 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 167
sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

As long as you are honest about things you are not sure of, and make sure you get a proper induction and maybe even if can shadow someone for sometime- it will all come back to you.
I have been working in the comminuty for the last 3 years, but when I move to vancouver, I will be inpatient nursing- scary, but I will make sure I get induction and be supernumerary for a week at least
sioux is offline  
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:41 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
cathy_rainbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hagley Tasmania - Love this place...
Posts: 163
cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

Originally Posted by Kathryn V View Post
Hi Claire

Don't be too concerned about the lack of recent surgical experience etc. I was offered a job in WA with almost 13 years post registration experience. However, I had been working in family planning for seven and a half years prior to that.

I worked on a high dependency ward in WA with arterial lines, central venous lines, central venous pressure monitoring, administration of noradrenaline etc and cardiac monitoring. I did not have a clue and was on a steep learning curve for the first few weeks. I even had to re-learn things like using the IV pumps. It does come back to you very quickly though and the staff in my unit were very good.

The manager knew that I did not have any recent ward experience never mind surgical experience, but was happen to take me on. After a year I was promoted to a level 2 and even acted up for my manager on several occasions. So I am sure that you will be fine.

Kathryn
Hi,

I qualified in 1985 and have been in orthopaedics since then.

I am working in Tassie in ICU/CCU and hit the hardest leaning curve ever! They looked after me and I always say if I am not happy about something.

Ozzie nurses seem to have an inbuilt confidence that was, I think , not instilled in us as we were never allowed to do anything without training ad nauseum and protocols etc etc etc hence the very idea of me altering doses of Noradrenalin/insulin etc was very scarey. 4 months in I am getting used to it and you will too..

Good luck!
Cathy
cathy_rainbow is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:45 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Edgewater, Perth
Posts: 107
clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

Thank you so much everyone for your kind replies-it is a real help. Sorry it has taken some time for me to post this reply-we moved in with the in laws and have had no internet access-nightmare!!

Anyway, thank you all again for taking the time to reply to my ramblings!!

Take care, Claire x
clairey b is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2008, 10:07 am
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,374
Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

claire get some interview lined up and be honest about your worries there.

When i arrived in melbourne and started work, i was basically shell-shocked, i had worked in scotland as a nurse for 20 odd years, but here i began to lose confidence and got really depressed about working , got to a stage i would hardly go to work, causing financial strain on us.

I went for an interview at a lge public hosp here (Austin in Heidelberg, melbourne), and was honest and open about my feelings at the interview, and also telling them that i think i was finding the job diffiuclt here as i was trying to cope with a whole new life as well as my job, anyway they were fab, and have babied me through the last 9 months and am beginning to get my confidence back and feel like my old self, in the last couple of weeks i have even caught myself laughing and joking around at work.

I have upped my hrs here now and am looking at doing a wee course in the hosp, the managers have been great and i got lots and lots of support from the clinical teacher here, she would just turn up in the operating theatre, and take me away for a coffee and a chat.

Also going out to lunch with a few girls from work in the hosp, ok it has taken 9 months for anything like this to happen, but the dept is so big it takes ages getting to know folks.

Last edited by Margaret3; Aug 21st 2008 at 10:11 am.
Margaret3 is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:49 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
cathy_rainbow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hagley Tasmania - Love this place...
Posts: 163
cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

Originally Posted by Margaret3 View Post
claire get some interview lined up and be honest about your worries there.

When i arrived in melbourne and started work, i was basically shell-shocked, i had worked in scotland as a nurse for 20 odd years, but here i began to lose confidence and got really depressed about working , got to a stage i would hardly go to work, causing financial strain on us.

I went for an interview at a lge public hosp here (Austin in Heidelberg, melbourne), and was honest and open about my feelings at the interview, and also telling them that i think i was finding the job diffiuclt here as i was trying to cope with a whole new life as well as my job, anyway they were fab, and have babied me through the last 9 months and am beginning to get my confidence back and feel like my old self, in the last couple of weeks i have even caught myself laughing and joking around at work.

I have upped my hrs here now and am looking at doing a wee course in the hosp, the managers have been great and i got lots and lots of support from the clinical teacher here, she would just turn up in the operating theatre, and take me away for a coffee and a chat.

Also going out to lunch with a few girls from work in the hosp, ok it has taken 9 months for anything like this to happen, but the dept is so big it takes ages getting to know folks.
Good going Margaret3!

Us old-timers CAN make it!

I have yet to met u with anyone out of work so far but am going to see Noiseworks with a couple of nice girls at end Oct so its a start...
Cathy
cathy_rainbow is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:44 am
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: East midlands
Posts: 11
GeeW will become famous soon enoughGeeW will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

Originally Posted by cheshiremark View Post
Hi Claire,
If you work in an endoscopy unit you must work with patients who have had some sedation. This would mean that you will have developed skills in closely monitoring patient's post procedure and be able to recognize if a patient's condition is deteriorating.

Iv's, yes if you are not used to Iv's then you will need to have some training but that might just mean having to read a small amount of theory and getting another nurse talk you through it a few times. Anyway I've found that generally when making up Iv's you have to get a second nurse to check it with you. If your on a ward that will probably get you through - if your on a more critical area there are other things to be careful of e.g. never give anything via a arterial line, but if they put you to work in one of them areas they will give you training and s period of being supernumerary.

I was nervous coming out here but thats because I only qualified two years ago and worked for a small, quiet CCU in the UK and coming here I wasn't sure if they wanted someone more experienced but I'm glad to say that I found that they are very supportive and I have received plenty of opportunities to enhance my knowledge and skills.

I'm sure it will work out well for you.

Take care,

Mark
Hi mark, just read that you worked on a ccu over here. I too work on an 8 bedded ccu, very nice and friendly. How different is the oz way in terms of ALS training etc. And is there a big difference in the names of meds? I'm hoping to move to sydney in the new yr and will look for a ccu job with luck.
Hope you don't mind me askin!
Georgina
GeeW is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:19 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
cheshiremark's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 403
cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice
Default Re: Worried and terrified!!

Originally Posted by GeeW View Post
Hi mark, just read that you worked on a ccu over here. I too work on an 8 bedded ccu, very nice and friendly. How different is the oz way in terms of ALS training etc. And is there a big difference in the names of meds? I'm hoping to move to sydney in the new yr and will look for a ccu job with luck.
Hope you don't mind me askin!
Georgina
Hi Georgina,
I've just sent you a PM.
cheshiremark is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.