Working in ICU in QLD.

Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Sockeye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in ICU in QLD.

Hi there,

I am an RN currently working in ICU in Canada. Planning to relocate to Brisbane by the end of the year.

At this point I am already registered with QNC and exploring job opportunities. The idea is continue working in Critical Care.

Now, most of the jobs posted on Queensland Health website for Crit. Care offering Clinical Nurse Nurse Grade 6 (NO2) positions. I am not sure if every nurse working in ICU is a Grade 6 RN or there are simply no Grade 5 positions available at this time. Any chance you can clarify this?

Assuming there are some Grade 5 positions, how likely that I could be accepted into one of the Grade 6 positions being fresh off the boat RN, but with several years of ICU experience and nearly 10 years in nursing?

What kind of rotation do ICU nurses work in Brisbane hospitals? 12 hour shifts? 2 days-2 nights-5 off?

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice
Default Re: Working in ICU in QLD.

Originally Posted by Sockeye
Hi there,

I am an RN currently working in ICU in Canada. Planning to relocate to Brisbane by the end of the year.

At this point I am already registered with QNC and exploring job opportunities. The idea is continue working in Critical Care.

Now, most of the jobs posted on Queensland Health website for Crit. Care offering Clinical Nurse Nurse Grade 6 (NO2) positions. I am not sure if every nurse working in ICU is a Grade 6 RN or there are simply no Grade 5 positions available at this time. Any chance you can clarify this?

Assuming there are some Grade 5 positions, how likely that I could be accepted into one of the Grade 6 positions being fresh off the boat RN, but with several years of ICU experience and nearly 10 years in nursing?

What kind of rotation do ICU nurses work in Brisbane hospitals? 12 hour shifts? 2 days-2 nights-5 off?

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Hi,
There are grade 5 (No1) nurses working on the ICU where I work. They do 12 hours shifts. However they do 76 hours per fortnight on a 4 week rota - (minimum of 5 nights). This generally means that in one fortnight they do 6 twelve hour shifts and then in the next fortnight they do 6 twelve hour shifts and an additional 8 hour shift to make their hours up.

Mark

Last edited by cheshiremark; Jan 31st 2009 at 5:19 am.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Mark. Very helpful.

What is the ratio between grade 5 and 6 nurses?

Would it mean that grade 6 nurses be the ones with most seniority in ICU who do charge duty and certified for everything (PA cath, CRRT, etc) or there is another special consideration for Grade 6 promotion?

Do RNs start art lines? Periferal IVs? PICCs?

Do RNs fully manage ventilators? Meaning that you would get an order to wean off ventilation/extubate and based on that you would carry on.

What is the patient ratio in ICU?

Do you have all multitraumas/head injuries concentrated in one centre or they are spread across several facilities?

Is a current ACLS part of the requirement? Do you think the Canadian Nursing Association Critical Care Certification would be recognized and valued?

Who runs codes in the hospital? ICU/CCU nurses or there is a dedicated code team?

What brand IV pumps do you use (Baxter,ect)?

Do they let RNs wedge Swans?

How many ICUs are in Brisbane hospitals? Do they need nurses?

How is cafeteria in the hospital where you work?

Sorry for all this questions, but getting a reliable specific information from across the half of the Earth is somewhat a challenge.

Kind Regards,
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Would it mean that grade 6 nurses be the ones with most seniority in ICU who do charge duty and certified for everything (PA cath, CRRT, etc) or there is another special consideration for Grade 6 promotion?

Do RNs fully manage ventilators? Meaning that you would get an order to wean off ventilation/extubate and based on that you would carry on.

Do you have all multitraumas/head injuries concentrated in one centre or they are spread across several facilities?

Is a current ACLS part of the requirement? Do you think the Canadian Nursing Association Critical Care Certification would be recognized and valued?

Who runs codes in the hospital? ICU/CCU nurses or there is a dedicated code team?

Sorry for all this questions, but getting a reliable specific information from across the half of the Earth is somewhat a challenge.

Kind Regards,

Hi,
I'm actually a CCU nurse so can't answer your technical questions or questions about how ICU's are run out here. What I can say though is the cafeteria where I work is supposed to be quite good. There are a few hospitals around Brisbane with ICU's and as with most of Australia ICU nurses are in demand.

Sorry I can't be any more help. When are you hoping to be out here for?

Mark
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the effort. I understand that CCU and ICU could be two quite different animals.

As I already said, I now have a full QNC RN license and unless something goes really bad I should be in Oz in 6-10 months depending when the Australia Immigration Office is finally going to recover from their stupor, assign me a case officer and process my file.

What hospital are you in? Any parking issues for the staff?

Wander if there other ICU guys on this forum who could clarify the situation for me.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the effort. I understand that CCU and ICU could be two quite different animals.

As I already said, I now have a full QNC RN license and unless something goes really bad I should be in Oz in 6-10 months depending when the Australia Immigration Office is finally going to recover from their stupor, assign me a case officer and process my file.

Wander if there other ICU guys on this forum who could clarify the situation for me.
I work at the Mater. Its a really nice place to work. It is not a Queensland Health Hospital but has strong links with them and it has a public and a private (not for profit) hospital on site close to the heart of the city.

I've heard that, for example, parking at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane is a nightmare but I've had no problems with parking at the Mater. They charge just $33.50 per fortnight so it's really good value. If it helps I know that they use alaris pumps in ICU at the Mater but I don't know what they use in the Queensland Health Hospitals.

Last edited by cheshiremark; Jan 31st 2009 at 6:13 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Huggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really nice

Hi Sockeye,

I will be working in ICU in Brisbane from the end of April so once settled will try to update you on how they work.

Hope this helps.

Kat xx
Old May 11th 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Kind Regards,
Hi Sockeye.
I am at present working in ICU in one of the northern suburbs hospital. I was an Outreach sister in the UK and have had to claw my way to the top to get anywhere. Nurses have very little respect from medical staff where I work and you have to grab it with both hands. I have had to do many competencies even though I have been in nursing for 28 years and ICU/HDU since 1993.I have found that it is a very much 'Not what you know, its who you know' society and try to imagine the NHS 15 years ago because thats approximately where Queensland Health is today.

Weaning patients; Only under direction and quite often the drs will fiddle with the vents and not inform you. As for extubation, depends on the Dr.

Patient ratio: 1:1

Outreach laughable. They have just implemented a medical Emergency team (MET) this year. Frankly Im not impressed as I have been left out of the total loop even though I have 2-3 years experience in Outreach again as a 'Its who you know attitude'.

We have newly qualified RN's doing ICU courses where they are given critical patients within 4 weeks of starting on the unit and its a sink or swim attitude. These nurses struggle so much and I have voiced my concerns several times and have been ignored.We are very short staffed and have lost a lot of senior nurses within the last year so our junior staff complement is very high.
I have not spoken to one British nurse who is happy with their position in Queensland Health. I have always been a safe practitioner, professional and ethical but find the constant day to day struggle of trying to get things done properly is wearing me down. Even to the point of returning to the Uk. I was warned when I first came her by a nurse returning but thought that she just didnt like it here. She was so right.

Im sorry to be so negative and I hope wherever you go you find that it is different and that you find a niche where you can be happy. Good luck.
If you need any further info. please e-mail me.

Louise ps parking is free where I work.......hurray!

Last edited by Louise M; May 11th 2009 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:22 am
Just Joined

CornishPastyMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sockeye

Loads of UK nurses in my unit several employed in CN Band 6 (Sister/Charge Nurse role), As a UK nurse appointed into a Nurse Unit Manager position at Mater can say never had a problem. I agree it is different to the NHS and it can take time to settle in., but also where I work the nurse to patient ratios on wards are far superior to NHS and therefore outreach not really so much of an issue because of this.

I am Chesiremark's boss and can say both the ICU and CCU at Mater are great places to work with the ICU just the right size in terms of beds, but suppose I would say that!!

Like everywhere in the world occassionaly some people find it hard to adjust, having emigrated with wife and 9 kids none of us would change anything!!!!

We have state of the art facilities with the new unit only being 2 years old. Check out Mater website for employment opportunities maybe drop me an e-mail direct from there for further info

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cheshiremark
Hi,
There are grade 5 (No1) nurses working on the ICU where I work. They do 12 hours shifts. However they do 76 hours per fortnight on a 4 week rota - (minimum of 5 nights). This generally means that in one fortnight they do 6 twelve hour shifts and then in the next fortnight they do 6 twelve hour shifts and an additional 8 hour shift to make their hours up.

Mark
which hospital do you work in?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CornishPastyMan
Hi Sockeye

Loads of UK nurses in my unit several employed in CN Band 6 (Sister/Charge Nurse role), As a UK nurse appointed into a Nurse Unit Manager position at Mater can say never had a problem. I agree it is different to the NHS and it can take time to settle in., but also where I work the nurse to patient ratios on wards are far superior to NHS and therefore outreach not really so much of an issue because of this.

I am Chesiremark's boss and can say both the ICU and CCU at Mater are great places to work with the ICU just the right size in terms of beds, but suppose I would say that!!

Like everywhere in the world occassionaly some people find it hard to adjust, having emigrated with wife and 9 kids none of us would change anything!!!!

We have state of the art facilities with the new unit only being 2 years old. Check out Mater website for employment opportunities maybe drop me an e-mail direct from there for further info

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Many Thanks

Sarah hartopp

Hey

just read your piece, am looking at coming over to Brisbane Jan time 2010 thought it would be sooner but visa is taking longer than i thought. i will be on a PR visa (175), by the time i get myself out to OZ i will have had just shy of 2 years General Critical Care experience in a trauma hospital in the midlands, i went there newly qualified so have only ever worked there apart from placements on wards as a student, so anyway would very much like a name/email address of a contact for your hospital and department if possible so i can get a repour going with somebody before i get out there and start arranging interviews.