Will i be too old?

Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

lynnie32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will i be too old?

Hi, I'm new here and it's been great reading all your posts but i just wondered......I'm training to be a childrens nurse and i don't qualify until april 09 when i'll be 47, (i know it sounds really old but only just getting the chance to realise my dreams. ) Have i left it too late to get any nursing work in Oz at all?? I wouldn't mind whether it was permanent or perhaps a four year contract. Does anyone know anyone else who might have done this later in life?

Many thanks for any help.

Lynnie
Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

butterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nice
Default Re: Will i be too old?

hi, i can't help with your question but i just wanted to wish you luck. i am 38yrs and hopefully going to apply for a nursing course ( if i get accepted) and i like you will be pushing 44yrs by the time i am finished.
I think, but don't quote me, that you can go on a sponsored visa, but others on here are freindly so someone will answer you xxxxxxxDonna
Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

jack89 will become famous soon enough

Hi my mate is newly qualified along with me I'm 34 and he's 52 and we have both been offered jobs. So u have no problem.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:22 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jack89
Hi my mate is newly qualified along with me I'm 34 and he's 52 and we have both been offered jobs. So u have no problem.
One of my friends is 46 been qualified about a year and has been sponsored for RSMS PR visa in Qld.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:54 am
Just Joined

butterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nice

Originally Posted by jack89
hi, so there is no problem getting a job if you hit 45yrs then! i thought it was more difficult to get pr after that age, but i am new to all this. Would my hubby still be able to come on my visa if he is also over 45yrs x
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

To get a permanent visa over the age of 45 you would need to be sponsored by an employer.

Make sure it is for a PR visa though and not a 457 temporary visa.

The older you get the more difficult it will get so time spent on a 457 visa is counterproductive.

G
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

lynnie32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanks everyone for all the replies. It's great to know i haven't completely lost out, i tried to get over for my elective placement and even had a place organised on the sunshine coast but my uni has stopped everyone going abroad so havin to wait until i'm qualified now.

Is a PR visa for permenant residency? and do i contact hospitals direct for a sponsered visa? as opposed to going through queensland health for example.

It's all just soooo exciting.

Donna, good luck with your application,.... nurse training is great.

Lynnie
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

cheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant futurecheekymoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grayling
To get a permanent visa over the age of 45 you would need to be sponsored by an employer.

Make sure it is for a PR visa though and not a 457 temporary visa.

The older you get the more difficult it will get so time spent on a 457 visa is counterproductive.

G
Hi G,
Thats not strictly true, I know lots of nurses from the UK who have come to Australia on a 457 sponsorship over the age of 45 years and all were able to continue that employer support to achieve PR.
Time on the 457 visa also helps towards the time needed for citizenship and its definately the quickest way to come to aus and work in this wonderful country.
CM
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheekymoo
Hi G,
Thats not strictly true, I know lots of nurses from the UK who have come to Australia on a 457 sponsorship over the age of 45 years and all were able to continue that employer support to achieve PR.
Time on the 457 visa also helps towards the time needed for citizenship and its definately the quickest way to come to aus and work in this wonderful country.
CM
PR gets harder once you turn 45, and even harder once you turn 50.

For someone newly qualified age 47, I would recommend the RSMS visa (no work experience needed):
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...rsms/index.htm