Where should us Nurses live in Brisbane if we make it

Old Dec 24th 2004, 9:25 am
ad4ozz

Talking Where should us Nurses live in Brisbane if we make it

Dig these house prices...rest of Oz may be 10yrs behind Brits but thank god the house prices are as well.... .

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=

Also see this thread going on else where... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273459

Old Dec 24th 2004, 10:29 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where should us Nurses live in Brisbane if we make it

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
Dig these house prices...rest of Oz may be 10yrs behind Brits but thank god the house prices are as well.... .

Also see this thread going on else where... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273459
Where do you fancy living Ann? I love the country and quite fancy buying a couple of acres of land in a place called Dayboro. Its a country village with big plots of land that you can build on. I want a 4 bedroom house with large swimming pool. Here are some links to Dayboro itself - I don't know if anybody could tell me any more about Dayboro and what weather is like etc.

http://www.dayborovalley.asn.au/what_to_do.htm
http://www.prd.com.au/dayboro/index.aspx

I love horseriding and there are riding clubs here. I am not quite sure how long it would take to drive from Dayboro to Brisbane CBD?

On the map Dayboro is West of Brisbane. I have heard good things about it off Marcs Aunt but would need to check it out when we get to australia again.

Will be renting 1st anyway in a more built up busy area until we settle into jobs.

Lynn
Old Dec 24th 2004, 7:10 pm
ad4ozz

We are still trying to keep an open mind as area will depend on jobs I supose in the long run as will need to be able to get there... .

Def 2nd that re swimming pool and will need 4 bedrooms as some people will def visit where as some say so but you know they won't.

Not so sure about the horses I've tended to stick to dogs...may go for the two wheeled motor driven horse instead... . Both as dangerous as each other.

Keep sending me nice places to live though liked the sound of that one and if you have family over there you are ahead of us as the only distant relations are in Sydney and not keen on living there. May change my mind once there but at mo trying to stay close to Barrier Reef.

Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:20 pm
ad4ozz

So does anyone know how long it would take to drive from Dayboro to Brisbane City?

And any other advice re areas to live or avoid?

Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:41 pm

According to that dayboro website - 45 mins to brissie CBD if I remember right what I read the other day. Did you all have a nice Christmas?

I had a lovely time but I have got such bad indigestion today from all the overeating and I feel like I am having a heart attack

Lynn
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:00 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant help you with Dayboro or that area, but the house on the real estate link is in Tingalpa which isnt too far away from us in Birkdale. As Mrs D says on the thread, Tingalpa isnt the most desirable place to live, but theres a lot worse, its convenient for the city ( and the biggish hospitals are based around the outskirts of the city) and its about 20 minutes from the sea.
I would recomend our area or any of the south eastern suburbs(Birkdale/Wellington point/ Ormiston/Cleveland/Manly/Wynnum) to anyone, but the houses here are more expensive, a 4 bed is around $400-450,000 with a pool.
Workwise, hospitals and community teams are plentiful, the big ones like the Princess Alexandra, the Mater and Greenslopes are closer to the city, but all within half an hours drive from here, then there are smaller closer ones such as the Redlands and Wynnum.
Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about our area, we've only been here 10 months so I'm by no means an expert but happy to help if we can,
Michaela
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Cant help you with Dayboro or that area, but the house on the real estate link is in Tingalpa which isnt too far away from us in Birkdale. As Mrs D says on the thread, Tingalpa isnt the most desirable place to live, but theres a lot worse, its convenient for the city ( and the biggish hospitals are based around the outskirts of the city) and its about 20 minutes from the sea.
I would recomend our area or any of the south eastern suburbs(Birkdale/Wellington point/ Ormiston/Cleveland/Manly/Wynnum) to anyone, but the houses here are more expensive, a 4 bed is around $400-450,000 with a pool.
Workwise, hospitals and community teams are plentiful, the big ones like the Princess Alexandra, the Mater and Greenslopes are closer to the city, but all within half an hours drive from here, then there are smaller closer ones such as the Redlands and Wynnum.
Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about our area, we've only been here 10 months so I'm by no means an expert but happy to help if we can,
Michaela
Thanks for the info Michaela, I think I will try renting in one of the areas you mentioned 1st - particularly Bayside - but long term would like to live in a less 'suburban' area - I love the idea of building on 2 acres, and not being overlooked by neighbours, still wouldn't want to be in the middle of nowhere though. For renting thought want to be in a busier area to make friends etc, and to be handy for work.

thanks again, karma sent Can we all get some too?

Lynn
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:10 am
Account Closed

Lynne,
Have you looked at the Mount Cotton area at all? I never see it mentioned really on the site, but its about 15 minutes inland from here and seems to be full of beautiful homes built on 2/3 acres at reasonable prices. Seems to me to be the best of all worlds, space, close to sea (well15/20 mins) and half an hour from city.
Karma on its way......
Michaela
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:16 am

Lynne,
Have you looked at the Mount Cotton area at all? I never see it mentioned really on the site, but its about 15 minutes inland from here and seems to be full of beautiful homes built on 2/3 acres at reasonable prices. Seems to me to be the best of all worlds, space, close to sea (well15/20 mins) and half an hour from city.
Karma on its way......
Michaela
Will check that out! Cheers Michaela - off to look at real estate.com.au just now

Lynn
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:32 am

Check these out in mount cotton:

1. To Buy, 4 bedroom/AC/pool:

2.To rent, 10 acres!!! Pets ok, AC:

Pretty impressive for the money!

Lynn
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:07 am
Account Closed

I cant understand why the area doesnt get more mentions, its really lovely round there but unlike some of the more western suburbs where acreage is affordable the temperature isnt a lot higher than the coastal suburbs and you still get the breezes from the coast.
Personally I'm not brave enough to face the wildlife on a big plot and am very happy with my 1000m2, but were I a little braver I'd be looking there too,
Good luck,
Michaela
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

charlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant futurecharlie63 has a brilliant future

I cant understand why the area doesnt get more mentions, its really lovely round there but unlike some of the more western suburbs where acreage is affordable the temperature isnt a lot higher than the coastal suburbs and you still get the breezes from the coast.
Personally I'm not brave enough to face the wildlife on a big plot and am very happy with my 1000m2, but were I a little braver I'd be looking there too,
Good luck,
Michaela
Hi Guys
Hope you had many Christams jollies!! It was strange to think this hopefully our last christmas in ole Blighty!

We had a really god roam around Lynn when we were there and it really is the only way to do it! We are hopefully heading to be near Michaela, as we fell fro the area, but will root around some more on arrival. I think thats the joy of renting you can check out as many places before putting down the pennies on your pad!

Charlie
Old Dec 29th 2004, 1:04 pm
ad4ozz

Lynn don't tell me pets ok when i'm giving them all away... .

Will need to give spinnones away to sell house anyway as nobody wants to buy house with muddy foot prints all over front door.

Like the sound of those houses though... .

Still no yellow letters requesting medicals or anything.

Seen two 80 odd yr old pt's today who told me to go for it...one said she has always regretted not emigrating when she had the chance 60 yrs ago.

Well must get back to the grind i'm having to work 3 days on the trot.

Old Dec 29th 2004, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
Lynn don't tell me pets ok when i'm giving them all away... .

Will need to give spinnones away to sell house anyway as nobody wants to buy house with muddy foot prints all over front door.

Like the sound of those houses though... .

Still no yellow letters requesting medicals or anything.

Seen two 80 odd yr old pt's today who told me to go for it...one said she has always regretted not emigrating when she had the chance 60 yrs ago.

Well must get back to the grind i'm having to work 3 days on the trot.
I still don't understand how you can give your dogs away!!? I love Poppy like she is family! I would be devastated if I had to give her away. To me dogs are for life and there is no reason they can't have a good life down under. Sorry Ann, just my personal feelings on it, but understand everyone is different

I still haven't told sister I work beside about my plans for next year
Just can't quite work out how to bring it up in conversation!

Lynn x lol
ps think yourself lucky! I am on for 8 days on the trot, not off till Thursday next week (on full time plus 4 evenings!!!)
Old Dec 30th 2004, 7:20 am
ad4ozz

Talking Re: Where should us Nurses live in Brisbane if we make it

When you have a child people tend to insist you give the dogs up and not the child...although in my experience I have found the dogs to be less expensive and often less hassle... .

From what I've read the big dogs will cost around £3,000 each to ship so that's £6,000 starting up money gone in one go. If I knew I already had the dream house and land wouldn't be so bad but they are just to big for rental place and would trash it.

Also, after doing all this we want the freedom to be able to go away for weekend or out all day with out worrying about who will feed them. We are leaving our relief dog feeder and cleaner upper in England as he is over 45 so doesn't make the points needed to keep our life style uninterupted... .