Which Visa?

Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of
Default Which Visa?

I qualify in Aug 07 and like many others face the prospect of no available jobs.

We want to go to Aus for a couple of years whilst we wait for our green card. Me hubby and 2 kids.

Is there a visa i can apply for that will allow the kids to receive free schooling and let my husband work.

One of the hospitals said i should look at a 4 year business visa? also any idea of timescales involved?

any advice would be appreciated

many thanks
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which Visa?

Originally Posted by nick333
I qualify in Aug 07 and like many others face the prospect of no available jobs.

We want to go to Aus for a couple of years whilst we wait for our green card. Me hubby and 2 kids.

Is there a visa i can apply for that will allow the kids to receive free schooling and let my husband work.

One of the hospitals said i should look at a 4 year business visa? also any idea of timescales involved?

many thanks
A dozen people will be alomg in a minute telling you that considering a temporary visa rather than one that gives you PR will comit you to a life of slavery but I will leave that argument to them

My OH has had a job offer at Cairns, newly qualified so we have been looking at these issues

Re free schooling this I believe will depend on wich state you want to go to. We will be going to Qeensland on a 457 visa, there this does entitle us to free schooling for the kids but I believe this may not be the case in NSW, others I am not sure of.

Yes I am also entitled to work as well on this visa

The possible drawbacks are the reciprocal healthcare arrangement with the NHS is I believe limited. but since we are planning to stay we will be taking out private healthcare, and you are not entitled to any social security payments or child benefit.

these are not big issues to us as, since we are staying the hospital has agreed to sponser us for an RSMS visa after my wifes probationary period (6 months) so then we will have PR status and these issues will disappear (And then we will also be eligeable for the $7000 first homebuyers grant)
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick333

many thanks
Do you mean a US green card? On what basis do you expect to obtain one?

If you want to settle in Australia then a permanent visa is strongly recommended.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Depends what you want out of a job. If you are looking to go into private hospitals then you may find it easier and quicker to get a temporary visa, but then you will be bound to that employer (and if its private you will be worked very very very hard). If, however, you want a bit more freedom to say, work a bit in the private sector and public then I would definitely go for a PR visa. For nurses the route is easy and often quite quick.

I came on a temp visa which was good but because we decided to stay here we went for a PR visa after the first year which has given us lots of options when it comes to employment and general life stuff.

A lot of employers are happy to take you without experience, or there are New Graduate Positions within a lot of states which pay the same as an RN level 1 anyway and may be a great start to your nursing career. Its more supportive than just being let loose and especially in Aussie hospitals were you will find you will have no HCA's and will have to do a bit more than in the UK. It allows you to go to about 4 different types of wards,have a mentor but still undertake an RN role but with support and good pay. If you go to the search facility and look up New Graduate Position a couple of threads should come up. A lot of health organisations are helping nurses from the UK to undertake the New Grad program.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:17 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

we are coming on a temporary sponsored visa and everyone is telling me to go for the permanent route. I can apply for a permanent visa 6 months after i ahve started anyway so what difference does this make?
I am very confused the temp visa will be $220 the permanent one $1900. The temp visa 3-6 months the permanent visa 6-9 months...
I would like to be in oz sooner rather than later and hope to be able to apply whilst i am there for a PR.
I have spent £600 already on a permanent visa application through a migration consultant and after 9 months the ANMC skill assessment is still not complete...I cant see the PR visa getting processed and approved before the end of 2007 myself so have decided to accept a work sponsored visa instead...
Advice please??
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. Think i will look into the New Grad option.