Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

Two Years of UK Nursing Degree completed...what to do now I'm in Oz??

Two Years of UK Nursing Degree completed...what to do now I'm in Oz??

Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:05 am
Just Joined

mrsswooty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two Years of UK Nursing Degree completed...what to do now I'm in Oz??

Hi, I could really do with some advice. I have recently moved to Brisbane with my family. Before we left I was studying for my Adult Nursing Degree at UWE in Bristol. I had just completed my second year which gave me the qualification of Foundation Degree. To finish my degree out here I would be classed as an International Student and the fees would be huge. So I was hoping to work for a few years and gain some more experience (the nursing degree was a major career change) and finish it once we have permanent residency/citizenship.
I was wondering if anyone could advise on what my options are and what my foundation degree is equivalent to here in Australia?? Would it be just a HCA/nursing assistant or could it be an Enrolled Nurse (the EN course is only 18 months and I have studied for 2 years). With little experience prior to the degree and my placements, would it be difficult to get a job as either??
Any help or information on this would be gratefully received.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 9:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Years of UK Nursing Degree completed...what to do now I'm in Oz??

Originally Posted by mrsswooty
Hi, I could really do with some advice. I have recently moved to Brisbane with my family. Before we left I was studying for my Adult Nursing Degree at UWE in Bristol. I had just completed my second year which gave me the qualification of Foundation Degree. To finish my degree out here I would be classed as an International Student and the fees would be huge. So I was hoping to work for a few years and gain some more experience (the nursing degree was a major career change) and finish it once we have permanent residency/citizenship.
I was wondering if anyone could advise on what my options are and what my foundation degree is equivalent to here in Australia?? Would it be just a HCA/nursing assistant or could it be an Enrolled Nurse (the EN course is only 18 months and I have studied for 2 years). With little experience prior to the degree and my placements, would it be difficult to get a job as either??
Any help or information on this would be gratefully received.
What visa are you currently on?
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

mrsswooty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Two Years of UK Nursing Degree completed...what to do now I'm in Oz??

We are on a Temporary Business Entry, subclass 457 visa (through my husbands job).
Old Jan 29th 2015, 8:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsswooty
We are on a Temporary Business Entry, subclass 457 visa (through my husbands job).
As you are only on a temporary visa which could end at any time, I would probably just look for some sort of job for now, and hope to resume your studies when you return to the UK. As you say, international fees can be very high.

If you think that you would want to stay in Australia permanently, maybe have a look at if your OH could pass the skills assessment for his occupation, and the points test for a PR visa