British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   trying something new? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/trying-something-new-521841/)

madeofkent Mar 15th 2008 1:06 am

trying something new?

has any body trained to be a doctor in the US? I am a 37 yr old nurse who loves being a nurse but wants something else, actully truth be told I wanted to be a doc at 16 but thought I was too stupid found out at 31 I was severly dsyslexic high IQ but unable to translate, having said that I got to jrn sister level and got a diploma, so now I know may be I should take a punt, don't critiacise me for this, but I am frustrated, my mate dave who is now a consultant said he had never worked with a nurse as demanding as me and all though my career Consultants have either loved my knowledge or hated me with a vengance,I know some nurses will feel I should fight from the inside but I've being doing that for 18 yrs, also I worked for a doctor who had started out as a HCA became a enrolled nurse then doctor and he was lovely but Pants, not that he didn't know his stuff but as an oncologist he could never bring himself to tell people they where dying! so I know its not perfect I just want to know if its possible (PS I know its expensive):)

debbieuk Mar 15th 2008 8:26 am

Re: trying something new?

hi

i really can't answer that but wanted to wish u good luck:thumbup:

debbie

Yoong Mar 15th 2008 7:02 pm

In my department,there were 2 nurses who became doctors.
They were Canadian nurses and did their doc. training at UBC.
They were early 30's and mid 40's when they became doctors.
I don't see any difference in the US apart from the hassle
of converting UK qualifications to American ones and perhaps
some upgradings.
I would say go for it,if it is your dream and passion.:thumbup:
Yoong

madmidwife Mar 16th 2008 12:36 am

Originally Posted by madeofkent (Post 6065106)
has any body trained to be a doctor in the US? I am a 37 yr old nurse who loves being a nurse but wants something else, actully truth be told I wanted to be a doc at 16 but thought I was too stupid found out at 31 I was severly dsyslexic high IQ but unable to translate, having said that I got to jrn sister level and got a diploma, so now I know may be I should take a punt, don't critiacise me for this, but I am frustrated, my mate dave who is now a consultant said he had never worked with a nurse as demanding as me and all though my career Consultants have either loved my knowledge or hated me with a vengance,I know some nurses will feel I should fight from the inside but I've being doing that for 18 yrs, also I worked for a doctor who had started out as a HCA became a enrolled nurse then doctor and he was lovely but Pants, not that he didn't know his stuff but as an oncologist he could never bring himself to tell people they where dying! so I know its not perfect I just want to know if its possible (PS I know its expensive):)

Follow your dream - good luck.