Training to be a nurse in Queensland ... anyone done it?

Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Training to be a nurse in Queensland ... anyone done it?

Nursing is something that I have always wanted to do but due to family commitment I have never got round to it

Now we have permanent residency and are able to go for citizenship, I feel that it is within my reach.

Could anyone offer me some guidance please.

How did you manage financially? I must admit I am a bit worried about this part of it because it may mean giving up a full time job.

Any advice gratefully received
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Training to be a nurse in Queensland ... anyone done it?

Not trained in Oz, but a lot of the students that I work with have to work as an AIN at the same time or they wouldn't manage financially, but then, I didn't manage on what they gave me back in the UK, so had to work too!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
You dont need to pack in your job. Nursing can be done distance learning here.

Did you know that University of South Australia and Charles Darwin University do Bachelor of Nursing distance learning.
Both 3 year courses and can be done full time or part time mode.

You do all the work at home/online.
However you will need to do placements in a local hospital near you.
These are approx 3 weeks first year, 4 weeks second year and 10weeks final year for Charles Darwin Uni.
You will also need to go to Darwin in first year for 5 day oncampus workshop (learning stuff before hospital placement).
2nd and 3rd year they usually do the 5day workshop in your own state.

For SA its no placement in 1st year, 4weeks in second year and about 12weeks final year.
However has 2day workshops twice per year in Adelaide.

Check your local Uni in case they also do distance learning. But these are the two that are well known.

* Also Ive heard in your 2nd year of course that some student get a job as a AIN.

Good Luck

Gems
PS, applications open on August 10th via SATAC for the courses above.

Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

PS,
you want the pre-registration courses. This means without nursing experience.

Also the last placement which are longer are not all at once.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:45 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gems
Hi,
You dont need to pack in your job. Nursing can be done distance learning here.

Did you know that University of South Australia and Charles Darwin University do Bachelor of Nursing distance learning.
Both 3 year courses and can be done full time or part time mode.

You do all the work at home/online.
However you will need to do placements in a local hospital near you.
These are approx 3 weeks first year, 4 weeks second year and 10weeks final year for Charles Darwin Uni.
You will also need to go to Darwin in first year for 5 day oncampus workshop (learning stuff before hospital placement).
2nd and 3rd year they usually do the 5day workshop in your own state.

For SA its no placement in 1st year, 4weeks in second year and about 12weeks final year.
However has 2day workshops twice per year in Adelaide.

Check your local Uni in case they also do distance learning. But these are the two that are well known.

* Also Ive heard in your 2nd year of course that some student get a job as a AIN.

Good Luck

Gems
PS, applications open on August 10th via SATAC for the courses above.

Hi, this is very different to the training in UK which includes more practical training. Training in the UK is split into 50% practical (which includes 3 months consolidation practice towards the end fo the course) and 50% theory with a minimum of 4600 hours overall for nurse training. I suppose that the reduced amount of practical time is why they have the graduate nurse programmes to support the integration of theory into practice.
KJJ
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Thanks for the replies

I am just not sure whether to head down the nursing route or do counselling (which I did start back in the uk). Both careers really appeal to me so really confused about which one to do.

Can't really start either until our house is built though.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:37 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

I am just finishing my 2nd year on my nursing degree here. I am a pom with NZ passport, so I don't get HECs. This means I have to pay as I go, you still get the commonwealth supported place which means i pay between $2-$2.5K a semester. I have not worked yet whilst studying as i wanted to get a real grasp of it 1st and we have been building a house. Hubby earns a good (not spectacular) wage and we get by, I am looking for some AIN work now to supplement our income as house building is very costly!!!
The course here is a bit too academic for my liking, not that I struggle with it, its just I think a bit more prac would be better.
I study through QUT in Brisbane at their smaller campus in Caboolture which is great for me, less travel and small classes.

Sorry my reply was so late, lost my password and so busy with everything

Paula