Are there lots of nursing jobs in QLD??

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

monandgaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are there lots of nursing jobs in QLD??

Originally Posted by glittababe
It can be so difficult if you are career orientated. I've had to really sit back and think what I really want out of life here. Unless your a bit of a high flyer or you can blag your way to the top of the nursing career ladder, then just take a step back, organise your home life and find something that suits your circumstances. Nursing is not as well respected as it is in the UK, its seen more of a vocation than a profession, care is based on the 1980's medical model, and your more of a handmaiden to the Dr. I suspect working in the hospital setting may give you more autonomy (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but certainly out in the community its very much Dr led. I find that very difficult to comprehend coming from a background where I was able to make decisions, prescribe treatment/drugs etc Its something I'm getting use too, I once overheard a nurse saying she didn't get paid to make decisions anyway so there's no burden on her shoulders - fair point. Let the Dr's take the flack if it all goes pear shaped.

You'll probably be really lucky and find yourself with a great job and colleagues. Practices are gradually changing here, nurses are expanding their roles, but like anything it takes time and patient's just aren't used to it and therefore don't have much faith or trust.
I trained in Germany 20 years ago and Australia sounds very similar to the way nurses work over there. Nurses in Germany are nothing special and the doctors are called " the Gods in white ". We don't have many Auxillaries as the nurses do everything.....but only within their boundaries of course
( eventhough we could do certain things that even UK nurses can't do without training...ie. catheterization, giving iv AB's....it was part of our training as a whole ))
I have to say that I couldn't believe my luck when I came to the UK and realized the status of nurses in this country....but I also found it very difficult at times....as I had to learn a lot from sratch...
I suppose for me it would be "going back where I came from...."
....hmmmm I could live with that I guess,.... but the " not enough work " bit worries me, especially as we will not be able to buy a house outright and my husband's job is not the best paid either.................
I think we will have to have a really hard think about it all.....

Mona
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:46 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are there lots of nursing jobs in QLD??

I stayed near city and no problem getting permanent employment and still lots of permanent jobs advertised but there's also lots of casual about if you want it also. Surprised you can't find work as teacher as they keep saying they need those also typical what ever you have people don't want.

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

I am a qualified primary school teacher registered to teachi n QLD but no work available, not even supply, unless I go outback. I would consider this if I didn't have a husband with a job he likes and a baby on the way. Due to this we may have to go back to the UK as I miss working and the money helps

I am therefore considering my options and thinking about going back to university to train as a nurse. I have been very interested in doing this since school and have several friends who are nurses. It was a bit of a hard decision when I went to uni over which one to do but I opted for teaching.

I think I will really enjoy the course and will have to pay to do it. However I am petrified that I will come out the otherside and will have the same problem with teaching - no jobs unless I go outback!!!!

So my question to all you lovely nurses is are there jobs in QLD and especially on the sunshine coast?? Or like teaching do you have to go and work in an outback hospital before you will get placed in a hospital in a more "desirable" location.

Thanks in advance to any help you can offer
Originally Posted by Loiner
I dont really have any expectation that Im going to get a job on Sunshine or Gold coast but Brisbane City would be ok. Is that ok for jobs?
Originally Posted by monandgaz
I've just read in another thread that working conditions are supposed
to be better then in the UK ???.....
I have to say....I wouldn't mind working on casual contracte ....if there is enough work.....as this is what I do now

Had a look at Bundaberg and Rockhampton and read some reviews.....really nice places... and if I didn't have to rely on reasonably close airports...due to firends from the UK visiting ....I don't think I'd have a problem with living rural at all...

Mona