Tell me there's a (nursing) heaven

Old Oct 14th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tell me there's a (nursing) heaven

Originally Posted by eddie007
Oh Great... perhaps we need to go on HIS trade (he is a panal beater)

Yes I had had the worst sort of day... but inspite of all you say, all the Australian nurses I have worked with have been great fun.. really nice, never met a nasty one yet....
Doesn't matter whose trade you go on. You do not have to work in the trade you apply under for Skilled Independent.

Also, Australians are people and you can't generalise about people based on their nationality. I would hate people to assume they know my personality/character based on other English people they had met. We are all different the world over.

You must be up late/up early or doing night shift to be posting from the UK at this hour.

Rachel
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Jacs will become famous soon enoughJacs will become famous soon enough

all the nurses I have met are very nice, as said before same rubbish differant place, less pay, but plenty of sunshine (not for this weekend though)

Rachael are you enjoying the sunshine coast where abouts are you, went to maloolabah the other week lovely place

Jackie
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:01 am
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RReed
Nursing varies to some degree from state to state, city to rural. You would need to find out about the actual area you are planning on settling to get the specifics.

But, nursing here is the same as the UK in that the work is hard; the money is shit; the politics are about cash not people; the back-covering paperwork is a joke; there are not enough staff to provide an adequate service; the staff whinge about work and fantasise about alternative careers; there are too many managers/pen pushers and not enough lackys.... and I could go on.

However, for me the lifestyle outside of work is worth the shit inside. I only work part-time (new for me). I don't think I could cope with full time. I also do plan to escape into research/lecturing within 2 years.

So, basically don't move here to improve your working conditions. Move to improve your lifestyle.

Rachel
I do try to take of the rose tinted specs occasionally seriously though, one of the reason for wanting to move to Australia is the lifestyle, if I could change my career I probably would but I really don't know what else I could do for similar pay without having to re-train.

Mandi
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mandi248
I do try to take of the rose tinted specs occasionally seriously though, one of the reason for wanting to move to Australia is the lifestyle, if I could change my career I probably would but I really don't know what else I could do for similar pay without having to re-train.

Mandi
My thoughts exactly.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jacs
all the nurses I have met are very nice, as said before same rubbish differant place, less pay, but plenty of sunshine (not for this weekend though)

Rachael are you enjoying the sunshine coast where abouts are you, went to maloolabah the other week lovely place

Jackie
The staff are the same as the UK. Most very nice, but pissed off with the work conditions.

We are renting in Mooloolaba at the moment and building in Buderim/Mountain Creek. We certainly are enjoying the Sunshine Coast and feel very lucky to be here.

Rachel
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

if I could change my career I probably would but I really don't know what else I could do for similar pay without having to re-train.

Mandi
I love midwifery, just hate the politics (you are probably the same re. nursing). One thing I have come to realise during this whole 'uproot your life' experience is that life is too short to put up with crap and live for your retirement. Money is not as important as happiness. I would definately take a pay cut or retrain to work in a more fulfilling job/career. I plan to do just that.

Rachel
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:39 am
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

I love midwifery, just hate the politics (you are probably the same re. nursing). One thing I have come to realise during this whole 'uproot your life' experience is that life is too short to put up with crap and live for your retirement. Money is not as important as happiness. I would definately take a pay cut or retrain to work in a more fulfilling job/career. I plan to do just that.

Rachel
Maybe once we've made the move I'll look into changing my career, but initially I will have to work and in an area I know, if I'm lucky my husband will get a job and earn or have the potential to earn more than me so then I could drop my hours (will have to work full time) and look into retraining. Quite fancy holistic therapies??
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Maybe once we've made the move I'll look into changing my career, but initially I will have to work and in an area I know, if I'm lucky my husband will get a job and earn or have the potential to earn more than me so then I could drop my hours (will have to work full time) and look into retraining. Quite fancy holistic therapies??
My husband has never earned more than me. I should have married a rich one . I am working partime for the first time since having small children. I do 24hrs a week (2X 12hrs) and I love it. My line manager asked me if I would like to increase my hours. She was a bit taken back by my response . My husband also only works 4 days a week. There is too much to do round here to waste time at work.

Holistic therapies are very popular here and even funded on some private health insurance packages. I think it is a good idea to start somewhere you know until you suss out your options.

Rachel
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:49 am
nursey

My husband has never earned more than me. I should have married a rich one . I am working partime for the first time since having small children. I do 24hrs a week (2X 12hrs) and I love it. My line manager asked me if I would like to increase my hours. She was a bit taken back by my response . My husband also only works 4 days a week. There is too much to do round here to waste time at work.

Holistic therapies are very popular here and even funded on some private health insurance packages. I think it is a good idea to start somewhere you know until you suss out your options.

Rachel
I work part time at the moment 3 days (27 hours+ on call hours) and my husband works full time, think he's looking forward to the role reversal, but it would be great if we could both work part time and have the quality time together as a family.
We will never know until we get there. Just hope we get these visas soon, seems like we've been waiting forever.

Mandi
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

I've always worked full time since leaving school, and will in Oz.
The wife has always worked part time, usually mornings as she is a groom, worked at local stables. She hasnt worked for 6 months and has no plans to work in Oz. Whos the mug here??

Says she might consider work when both kids are at school full time.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We already made lifestyle choices before looking into Oz, HE is a panal beater by trade but hasn't worked since I qualified as a nurse so that our children have one full time parent. HE is fantastic cook, good at housework, keeps tabs on bills etc... I jlove my job and couldn't bear to be at home fulltime... It was interesting to hear that I wouldn't HAVE to work on a skilled independent visa... (had obviously ASSumed that I would).. Thats really good to know, perhaps we could both work part time... now that would be nice...

We want to move for the lifestyle, more time with the children, less 'social' pressure to move onwards and upwards all the time

We want to bring our children up some where you work to live not live to work... We want them to have space and opportunity that they could never have here...
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Hubby and I would both like to work part time if funds allow, whats the point in going over there if we are working all of the time!
I could just about tolerate working if occasionally the sun shines
jacqui
Old Oct 14th 2005, 3:28 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

here here this is what we intend to do .

I MAY work a couple of days a week in oz (2) certainly no more!!, not working at all would drive me crackers (with three young children at home! ) however i am very down with midwifery at the moment, so may change careers!!

who knows really what life will have is store! fate takes you many places!

mand
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jacs will become famous soon enoughJacs will become famous soon enough

i would love to change my career too but havnt a clue which area ive even considered working in the cafe at my local leisure centre!!!! (some of the australian swim team train there and the lads fit bods or what!!!)
ive worked part time since having kids but i have to lok at full time at the moment until we see what the money situation is and to see if we can cope both doing part time but to be honest i cant see that happening, maybe in a year or 2

Jackie
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eddie007
We already made lifestyle choices before looking into Oz, HE is a panal beater by trade but hasn't worked since I qualified as a nurse so that our children have one full time parent. HE is fantastic cook, good at housework, keeps tabs on bills etc... I jlove my job and couldn't bear to be at home fulltime... It was interesting to hear that I wouldn't HAVE to work on a skilled independent visa... (had obviously ASSumed that I would).. Thats really good to know, perhaps we could both work part time... now that would be nice...

We want to move for the lifestyle, more time with the children, less 'social' pressure to move onwards and upwards all the time

We want to bring our children up some where you work to live not live to work... We want them to have space and opportunity that they could never have here...
We did the same. He stayed at home with the kids (working part-time on and off). He's is a much better housekeeper and mother than me . I do the bills and money stuff though cos I'm more organised than him. We moved for the same reasons. Now our kids are older, 14 and 11 we have a bit more freedom. Our lifestyle has totally changed and the kids are happier, healthier and have so much more opportunity.

Rachel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.