telephone interview!! so excited!!

Old Oct 10th 2004, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: telephone interview!! so excited!!

Hi, congratulations on the interview. I too had a telephone interview for my first post in NZ. It was 9.30 at night and I was "relaxing" in my nightie.

Having been promoted at work since I arrived here, I have now conducted several telephone interviews. Although these are for post in NZ, the format is pretty similar to Oz from what I have gathered from others on here.

Panel of 3, including representative from Maori Health services.

Ice breaker, usually to do with the weather or the time.
Quick introduction of panel members.
Description of unit, job being interviewed for.
Time for candidate to tell us about themselves, work experience, why they are looking to work in NZ etc
Questions specific about area, e.g. MDT working.
What qualities would you bring to the unit.
Question about conflict, how would you resolve a situation.
A couple of clinical questions, such as how would you cope with e.g. sudden on set chest pain/ diabetic hypo.
Maori health ask about "Cultural Safety", specific to NZ.

Check about start dates, registration, visas, terms and conditions. etc

As our HR dept does such as great job, by the time the interview takes place we already have a good picture of the candidate.

It is difficult interviewing over the phone, as there is none of the visual/non-verbal clues as to how your answer is being received. However we always give the candidate feed back as they answer, so they know they are on the right lines {or not as the case may be}.

Good luck, relax and just be yourself !!

Gill
Old Oct 10th 2004, 11:13 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jimtrish,
One thing that has struck me since I had my interview and got my job in Melbourne is that , suddenly the whole thing is REAL. Up till now, since first applying for my sponsored job/visa, it has all been paperwork sent backwards and forwards with nothing really tangible, even getting my registration was just a means to an end.
Anyway, getting the got the job means that I can move on now - I've handed in my notice - leave work on the 7th November officially, but with A/L and time-owing will leave on the 2nd so that I can have a couple of months before going to Aus mid Jan.
Wish you all the best in your interview, just make sure you have 2 or 3 proplus, a coffee and Jims' cigs handy - oh, and a box of tissues for when they say "that was a very positive interview, you will be sent a letter offering you a job tomorrow" (mine came by email within 24 hours)
Good luck, be yourself - you cannot go wrong
Cas
Old Oct 10th 2004, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Hi, congratulations on the interview. I too had a telephone interview for my first post in NZ. It was 9.30 at night and I was "relaxing" in my nightie.

Having been promoted at work since I arrived here, I have now conducted several telephone interviews. Although these are for post in NZ, the format is pretty similar to Oz from what I have gathered from others on here.

Time for candidate to tell us about themselves, work experience, why they are looking to work in NZ etc
A couple of clinical questions, such as how would you cope with e.g. sudden on set chest pain/ diabetic hypo.

As our HR dept does such as great job, by the time the interview takes place we already have a good picture of the candidate.

It is difficult interviewing over the phone, as there is none of the visual/non-verbal clues as to how your answer is being received. However we always give the candidate feed back as they answer, so they know they are on the right lines {or not as the case may be}.

Gill
hi gill,

thanks for that, as far as ive been told, its just one lady interviewing.
In the email from the unit manager, who informed me of who would interview me as she was away, actually said in the email she looked forward to seeing me next year and it will be great when im living locally! oh and she told me not to worry the interview will be fine!
so hope it is.
I had to fill in a load of interview criteria ( scenarios) and they ask specific questions relating to this, luckily I did do a copy of the criteria so I should be a little more 'armed'.
will let you know how i get on.

thanks again,

Trish :scared:
Old Oct 10th 2004, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Gill
by the way, when do i ask about visa and relocation packages? is it appropriate to ask if they have just offered the job?

cheers
Old Oct 10th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Hi jimtrish,
One thing that has struck me since I had my interview and got my job in Melbourne is that , suddenly the whole thing is REAL. Up till now, since first applying for my sponsored job/visa, it has all been paperwork sent backwards and forwards with nothing really tangible, even getting my registration was just a means to an end.
Anyway, getting the got the job means that I can move on now - I've handed in my notice - leave work on the 7th November officially, but with A/L and time-owing will leave on the 2nd so that I can have a couple of months before going to Aus mid Jan.
Wish you all the best in your interview, just make sure you have 2 or 3 proplus, a coffee and Jims' cigs handy - oh, and a box of tissues for when they say "that was a very positive interview, you will be sent a letter offering you a job tomorrow" (mine came by email within 24 hours)
Good luck, be yourself - you cannot go wrong
Cas

Thanks cas,

yep will have fags, pro plus and loads of tea to hand, jims getting the kids up at 6.30 and taking them for a drive whilst im on the phone! poor kids! ha ha
you are so lucky, ive got to finish the course yet, but if all goes well, i'll have an even better reason to see it through.

keep in touch

Trish
Old Oct 11th 2004, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
by the way, when do i ask about visa and relocation packages? is it appropriate to ask if they have just offered the job?

cheers
Normally if the candidate is from an agency, they will be aware of the relocations deal, if not we inform them as the interview progresses of what we offer. For NZ they need a written job offer in their hand so they can get their visas, so we get back to them as soon as possible, either way, and send a letter of offer out as soon as we have made a decision.

I did'nt like to say it before, but there are such nursing shortages in NZ and OZ, that by the time comes for an interview, a job offer is a formality. Sometimes we feel we have to sell ourselves to the candidate MORE THAN the other way round. We have been really fortunate lately that we have had some excellent new nurses arrive from overseas.

Good luck once again

Gill
Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Jacs will become famous soon enoughJacs will become famous soon enough

thought I would ask a silly question, it appears that everyone is having or have had telephone interviews am I being a bit slow in not doing this? Is this because people are doing sponsered visas?
Should I be contacting Gp surgerise now or wait till we get there?

Jackie
Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Normally if the candidate is from an agency, they will be aware of the relocations deal, if not we inform them as the interview progresses of what we offer. For NZ they need a written job offer in their hand so they can get their visas, so we get back to them as soon as possible, either way, and send a letter of offer out as soon as we have made a decision.

I did'nt like to say it before, but there are such nursing shortages in NZ and OZ, that by the time comes for an interview, a job offer is a formality. Sometimes we feel we have to sell ourselves to the candidate MORE THAN the other way round. We have been really fortunate lately that we have had some excellent new nurses arrive from overseas.

Good luck once again

Gill

hi gill,

thankyou for that lets hope im what they need right now.
do you know if i can, if successful, start the process of the rsms before finishing the course and then get on with the rest of the visa application once finished? its just that the rsms doesnt actually stipulate being rgn and i wondered if i could get hold of my transcript for the conversion, via nmc, if i could speed things up?
any advice would be ace.

thanks gill

Trish
Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

hi gill,

do you know if i can, if successful, start the process of the rsms before finishing the course and then get on with the rest of the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=visa&v=55">visa</a> application once finished? its just that the rsms doesnt actually stipulate being rgn and i wondered if i could get hold of my transcript for the conversion, via nmc, if i could speed things up?
any advice would be ace.

thanks gill

Trish
hi jackie,

yeah, don't worry, many people i believe have interviews because they are being sponsored by the state. if you are going the skilled migrant route you don't have to have a job lined up.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:07 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

So how did it go? It's 5pm here so at least 8am with you tell me tell me
Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hi gill,

do you know if i can, if successful, start the process of the rsms before finishing the course and then get on with the rest of the visa application once finished? its just that the rsms doesnt actually stipulate being rgn and i wondered if i could get hold of my transcript for the conversion, via nmc, if i could speed things up?
any advice would be ace.

thanks gill

Trish

Sorry I don't know, about OZ as I'm in NZ

How did the interview go?

Gill
Old Oct 13th 2004, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry I don't know, about OZ as I'm in NZ

How did the interview go?

Gill
what a nightmare! rushed home from work to take call at 7am, waited til 7.45 and nothing, emailed them and they said they thought they were supposed to be contacting me at 5pm their time, and that they were about to ring.
waited til 8.30 and then got an email saying they had wrong number and couldnt get through so will have to reschedule!
I rang straight away and spoke to a nurse on nicu who said they had all gone home and i had just missed them!
so am thoroughly miffed!!
will prob email them around midnight and see if it can be arranged soon as poss. dont know why they had wrong number, i did myself a copy of all my paper work which i emailed to them and it was definately correct number on there. Very strange, as they even showed me the number they had been trying and had got told it was disconnected....it wasnt my num.
hey di ho....another day etc etc
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

what a nightmare! rushed home from work to take call at 7am, waited til 7.45 and nothing, emailed them and they said they thought they were supposed to be contacting me at 5pm their time, and that they were about to ring.
waited til 8.30 and then got an email saying they had wrong number and couldnt get through so will have to reschedule!
I rang straight away and spoke to a nurse on nicu who said they had all gone home and i had just missed them!
so am thoroughly miffed!!
will prob email them around midnight and see if it can be arranged soon as poss. dont know why they had wrong number, i did myself a copy of all my paper work which i emailed to them and it was definately correct number on there. Very strange, as they even showed me the number they had been trying and had got told it was disconnected....it wasnt my num.
hey di ho....another day etc etc
Oh, what a cock-up of a day for you - sorry to hear about it.
Hope you get it sorted out tonight - let us know.
Cas x
Old Oct 13th 2004, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Oh, what a cock-up of a day for you - sorry to hear about it.
Hope you get it sorted out tonight - let us know.
Cas x
cheers cas,

will definately let you know
x
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hi all,

had interview at 6am today, brilliant interview by 2 very nice ladies.
got told how keen they were to have me there and that id be one of the senior nurses when i start there. They wanted to know if id be keen to do teaching as i enjoy that and they dont have adequate teaching set up.
got told they would be able to make shifts flexible to suit the kids schooling etc.
I asked when id find out if successful etc and they said when i finish my course in march!!! i nearly fell over! they said they didnt have any jobs for EN's and couldnt offer a job whist being one. I asked if i could have a job offer on proviso of passing my course and they are now looking into this, as i dont want it all left to the last minute and as you all know there is stacks to sort out.
so they have said they thought the interview was excellent and references, and will be in touch in next few days..very latest is wednesday apparantly.
I got told last week by the unit manager who is on hols for 6wks, that if successful, i would be offered the job and it would be kept for me on successful completion of my course. Thats all i want really. how hard is it to do that?
so confused now and feel really down in the dumps, i know it was a good interview and yet ive nothing to show for it and ive actually made no progress.

Trish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.