Student nurse starting out !

Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:00 pm
helsbels1975

helsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant future
Red face Student nurse starting out !

Hi everyone, i'm a 2nd year student nurse hoping to head to Perth once qualified.
Any info or advice will be greatly recieved.

Ta
Helen xx
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all
Default Re: Student nurse starting out !

You can go out on a 457 (temp) visa after qualifying but this contains restrictions ie if you dont like your employer and leave you may have to return home, medical costs, buying property are restricted etc etc but this visa does work for lots of people (and doesn't for lots too).

You can go to WA (not Perth) on a Regional Sponsoship Migration Visa (no experience)

Can go on a state sponsored 134 (6months work experience, post qualification)

Finally....and prob the best. A 136 Permenent residence visa. Same rights as aussies pretty much, but requires 12months experience post qualification.

After doing training here, dont you want to work inthe UK first? Most opinion on this site recommends some experience here first, but plenty of real good advice available.

good luck

Ade S
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helsbels1975
Hi everyone, i'm a 2nd year student nurse hoping to head to Perth once qualified.

Ta
Helen xx
Another option for WA 137 visa (6 months experience). Over here they run new graduate programmes for 18 months for newly qualified nurses. They seem to be good programmes allowing the new nurses to rotate around different areas. There have been a few newly qualified nurses on here that have been sponsored for the grad programme but remember you are restricted to staying with your employer if you go down the sponsorship route. Have a look at booklet 6 on the DIMIA website, this explains all the visa options available to you. Good luck it's worth all the effort when you get here .
Tracie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

oznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud of

Ta
Helen xx
Hi, just like you helen I am a 2nd year nursing student hoping to go to Perth when I qualify next year. I would also be very interested in any info or advice people who have already made the leap have got. We should (hopefully) have our permanent residency by then as we are applying on my husband's trade as a fitter, but it's things like whether or not there are enough jobs for nurses when we get over there. Do they prefer nurses who have loads of experience? I know that the media says there is a shortage of nurses but is it true in reality etc, etc. I'll shut up now cos I could probably go on forever with different questions....
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oznoodle
Hi, just like you helen I am a 2nd year nursing student hoping to go to Perth when I qualify next year. I would also be very interested in any info or advice people who have already made the leap have got. We should (hopefully) have our permanent residency by then as we are applying on my husband's trade as a fitter, but it's things like whether or not there are enough jobs for nurses when we get over there. Do they prefer nurses who have loads of experience? I know that the media says there is a shortage of nurses but is it true in reality etc, etc. I'll shut up now cos I could probably go on forever with different questions....
Definitely lots of nursing jobs here in Perth. They run nurse graduate programmes especially for newly qualified so dont worry about lack of experience.
Tracie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

oznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Definitely lots of nursing jobs here in Perth. They run nurse graduate programmes especially for newly qualified so dont worry about lack of experience.
Tracie
Thanks Tracie, that's really helpful. Although i'm loving every minute of my training, can't wait to be qualified and out there in Perth.
Nic
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by oznoodle
Thanks Tracie, that's really helpful. Although i'm loving every minute of my training, can't wait to be qualified and out there in Perth.
Nic
No probs, If I can help at all just PM me
Tracie
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Another option for WA 137 visa (6 months experience).
I think you mean the Skill Matching (subclass 134) visa sponsored by WA.
http://www.migration.wa.gov.au
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think you mean the Skill Matching (subclass 134) visa sponsored by WA.
http://www.migration.wa.gov.au
My mistake. I did mean the 137 (STNI) but see it's 12 months experience not 6.
Tracie
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

There are a couple of routes you can go down like the others have said.

You have get your qualification and work a year (if you find a job that is!) and come to Australia. You can come over and try and get a job with no experience (they will take you!) or you can come over and go on the fabulous New Grad Program that they also have (to which you get paid but get to gain a little bit more experience in say theatres, A& E, ICU etc).

It really depends on what you want to do when you get here. Are you planning on travelling or do you want to settle down? Personally if you can, go for a PR visa but if not then sponsorship is good. We were sponsored initially and it worked for us but sometimes it doesnt. I would find out the area you wish to go to and then contact the health authority to see what they stand is.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:11 pm
helsbels1975

helsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Student nurse starting out !

Hi we want to settle, we've got 2 kids so as much as we'd like to travel its not really an option for us at the mo. Not really sure where thou, all we do know is that we want to be in/around Perth. Out of all my placements gynae has been my fav although i cant wait to get in to A & E, so the programme you mentioned to gain extra experience will be fan bloody tastic !!!
Any info you can give me will be greatly recieved. We're going to a australian expo in march up london so it will be good to have a few questions to ask the relevant people up there.

Take care and thanks again
Helen xxxx
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hi we want to settle, we've got 2 kids so as much as we'd like to travel its not really an option for us at the mo. Not really sure where thou, all we do know is that we want to be in/around Perth. Out of all my placements gynae has been my fav although i cant wait to get in to A & E, so the programme you mentioned to gain extra experience will be fan bloody tastic !!!
Any info you can give me will be greatly recieved. We're going to a australian expo in march up london so it will be good to have a few questions to ask the relevant people up there.

Take care and thanks again
Helen xxxx

If I were you then, I would be searching for Hospitals in Perth and then getting in touch with their HR and asking about the New Grad Program. You get paid the standard RN1 wage which I think is around $730 mark (I'm in NSW so its different here) but at least you will be working and still learning a lot. I've dealt with nurses on this course and its got such good potential as normally you would not get this sort of chance to go into ICU/ED without good experience first. They will have you working and you are not supernumery but part of the team which is great. You're often assigned to a mentor/preceptor and given a workbook to complete by the end of your time in that particular department and a lot of nurses go back to one of those departments to gain full time employment.

So phone round now and see which hospitals are willing to give you information now. You haven't long left on your course and it would be good to get things rolling now.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:22 pm
helsbels1975

YOU ARE A STAR !!!!
will do , will try to get phone numbers for the hospital in Perth and see what their policy is, thanks for the advice , keep it coming !!!!!
Helen xx
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

heggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really nice

Hi there Helen,

Welcome to BE. I am due to qualify in March 04 and I've got a grad nurse position at Fremantle - mainly thanks to the info and help I got from the luvverly people on this site! I start officially in Aug this year but they've told me I can start as soon as I arrive if I want - currently doing the whole meds/visa stuff.

As hedgehog-girl said, e-mail and ring round the hospitals, that's what I did - sent out an e-mail to all the hospitals (public and private) where I wanted to work & have since been offered 3 grad nurse positions!!! (but stuck with Fremantle as they have been so fantastic & on the ball with everything).

Any info you'd like send me a pm and i'll help if i can - I tend to log on every couple of days when shifts/kids/life allows!! Good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Ta
Helen xx
I find it very hard stomach that someone could use the NHS and UK taxes to obtain a life in Aus! I'd have thought you'd have hung around to pay back your debt to society, at least a few years working in UK hospitals! Just my opinion though, hope the horlicks works for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.