Started UK Nursing degree and want to finish in OZ

Old Oct 28th 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Swooty will become famous soon enough
Default Started UK Nursing degree and want to finish in OZ

Hello BE, im back for more questions.

I have been offered a return to Australia on a 457 visa (been there for 3 years before), however my wife has just started the first year of her nursing degree here in the UK. Our plans would be to move over once she has completed her first year (so July 2013). We would be going back to live in North Brisbane.

Our intentions would be for her to complete her nursing degree in Australia, either through QUT or TAFE, but I am looking for advice on if she can carry any of here first year studies here in the UK over to Australia or would she have to start again from the beginning in Oz, which would mean here first year here is wasted.

We have been told by QUT that they would have to get her work assessed to see what she would gain in Oz.

Also as I am on a 457 she will be considered as an International Student, so we are subject to large fees, which I cannot do to much about, but does anyone know of any specific finance available or even scholarships ??

If anyone has gone through similar or can give any advice it would be greatfully received

Thanks
Swooty
Old Oct 28th 2012, 9:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Started UK Nursing degree and want to finish in OZ

Originally Posted by Swooty
Hello BE, im back for more questions.

I have been offered a return to Australia on a 457 visa (been there for 3 years before), however my wife has just started the first year of her nursing degree here in the UK. Our plans would be to move over once she has completed her first year (so July 2013). We would be going back to live in North Brisbane.

Our intentions would be for her to complete her nursing degree in Australia, either through QUT or TAFE, but I am looking for advice on if she can carry any of here first year studies here in the UK over to Australia or would she have to start again from the beginning in Oz, which would mean here first year here is wasted.

We have been told by QUT that they would have to get her work assessed to see what she would gain in Oz.

Also as I am on a 457 she will be considered as an International Student, so we are subject to large fees, which I cannot do to much about, but does anyone know of any specific finance available or even scholarships ??

If anyone has gone through similar or can give any advice it would be greatfully received

Thanks
Swooty
Yes, she will have to apply for recognition of prior learning for any work she has done overseas. It may or may not count, depending on whether what she has done is relevant to the Australian curriculum. When I applied for my RPL only about 1/2 of what I'd done in Canada counted, as it was not part of the curriculum here. In the end I didn't bother to take the 2 subjects' worth of RPL and just did all of year 1 over.

As for fees, yes, she will be on international student rates. No finance options are available as far as I know, but it would be worth taking to the university about that. She will definately not be eligible for HECS/HELP as that's for citizens only. As for scholarships, again she needs to talk to her university.