Slightly confused...

Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Popsicals will become famous soon enoughPopsicals will become famous soon enough
Default Slightly confused...

Hi all

We are moving to Perth from the UK (UK citrizen) at the end of April on a permanent visa in my hubby's name. I qualified as a midwife in September 2009 and am currently employed 4 days a week as a midwife.

I rang the ANMC and spoke with a lady there who was really quite rude and really upset me. I rang to ask if I needed to complete the registration that I had found online in order to get a pin/registration as we already have a visa and I thought the app may have been for those who didnt and were applying for a skilled visa in their own right. As we already have the visa I just wanted to know if there was an alternative form or if I had to complete that one, including the IELTS. The lady was quite abrupt and said I need to fill the same app as everyone else. To be fair she sounded like she was having a bad day! I asked how the processing was going with these forms and expected lenngth of time before registration official. She said without my app in front of her she couldn't say, but possibly 1 to 3 years!!! Yes years. I questioned this and she said again that without my app she couldn't say!!! She went on to inform me that if I don't score 7 in all areas of the IELTS I can't practice as a midwife (which from their website is true, but really talk about being positive) and finished with the line that the 1-3 years could include me having to do the 'bridging' study thing! I was so confused and she wouldn't answer any questions, just kept saying "read the website" - well I had and just needed some clarification .

Now, I don't know if everything she has said is true or whether she was just having a bad day and giving me the worst case scenario because she can??? Needless to say I hit a brick wall the following day at the thought of having gained a BSc Mid and not ever being able to practice as a midwife - prob being a bit of a drama queen, but it is scary when you don't fully understand the process - and I whinged like a baby .

I have booked my IELTS. I have to pass. I have my transcripts. I can't get a reference from work until I hand in my notice. I have my degree classification and my NMC registration. BUT can anyone please shed some light on whether she was pessimistic (lol) or realistic (aaah) !!!

I thank you in advance and apologise for the long mail.

Thank you Pops xxx
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Slightly confused...

Originally Posted by Popsicals
Hi all

We are moving to Perth from the UK (UK citrizen) at the end of April on a permanent visa in my hubby's name. I qualified as a midwife in September 2009 and am currently employed 4 days a week as a midwife.

I rang the ANMC and spoke with a lady there who was really quite rude and really upset me. I rang to ask if I needed to complete the registration that I had found online in order to get a pin/registration as we already have a visa and I thought the app may have been for those who didnt and were applying for a skilled visa in their own right. As we already have the visa I just wanted to know if there was an alternative form or if I had to complete that one, including the IELTS. The lady was quite abrupt and said I need to fill the same app as everyone else. To be fair she sounded like she was having a bad day! I asked how the processing was going with these forms and expected lenngth of time before registration official. She said without my app in front of her she couldn't say, but possibly 1 to 3 years!!! Yes years. I questioned this and she said again that without my app she couldn't say!!! She went on to inform me that if I don't score 7 in all areas of the IELTS I can't practice as a midwife (which from their website is true, but really talk about being positive) and finished with the line that the 1-3 years could include me having to do the 'bridging' study thing! I was so confused and she wouldn't answer any questions, just kept saying "read the website" - well I had and just needed some clarification .

Now, I don't know if everything she has said is true or whether she was just having a bad day and giving me the worst case scenario because she can??? Needless to say I hit a brick wall the following day at the thought of having gained a BSc Mid and not ever being able to practice as a midwife - prob being a bit of a drama queen, but it is scary when you don't fully understand the process - and I whinged like a baby .

I have booked my IELTS. I have to pass. I have my transcripts. I can't get a reference from work until I hand in my notice. I have my degree classification and my NMC registration. BUT can anyone please shed some light on whether she was pessimistic (lol) or realistic (aaah) !!!

I thank you in advance and apologise for the long mail.

Thank you Pops xxx
Hi, I think she was MOST definately having a bad day

You do not need to have your skills assessed by ANMC as you already have your visa. However in order to be able to register as a midwife in Oz you will need to take IELTS and obtain at least 7 in all parts. Once you have your score you can then apply for registration with WA

You do not need to have left your current employment to obtain a work reference. Just explain to your Manager (if they are nice!) that you need a reference that covers the following points (print off the reference requirements for the WA Nurse registration) as you are starting your registration process in Australia
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:31 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Hi all

BUT can anyone please shed some light on whether she was pessimistic (lol) or realistic (aaah) !!!
Sounds like it was more than a bad day, she sounds damn right incompetent. Never mind maybe she's a new start and you've got us lovely lot to make sure you get the right info.

You already have residency so you do not need to have your skills assessed. ANMC only assess skills and therefore you don't need them. Yippee.

You do however need to pass IELTS academic level, it's no walk in the park and I really advise studying. I used the Peter May book off amazon and got a band 9. http://www.amazon.co.uk/IELTS-Practi...6572125&sr=8-1

Once you've passed IELTS then you apply to NBWA (western australias NMC). Here's the web page. http://www.nmbwa.org.au/3/2109/50/re...y_qualified.pm
Don't worry about all the bridging stuff UK trained nurses are exempt from that.

But DO START GETTING ALL THE DOCUMENTS TOGETHER AND CERTIFIED NOW - it took me 3 months to get everything I needed. (But by the look of things you've got most things organised) I live in Scotland so I was able to take all my documents to our local community court where a Justice of the peace certified them and signed my statuary declaration on the nurse registration form all free of charge.
It may be worth checking out if this is available in your area.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited by Lyx; Feb 19th 2010 at 8:37 am. Reason: Adding link
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Popsicals will become famous soon enoughPopsicals will become famous soon enough

Thank you so so much Wilson01 and Lyx for explaining this to me. It really just didn't ring true, but you never know.

I have booked my IELTS for 10th April, results on 23rd April, fly out 25th April!!! I have to pass. I have bought the official IELTS Practice Materials book, which I am going to do on one of my days off when hubby is here as the door bell and phone interruptions can be dealt with by hubby whilst I do the tests. After your mail I have also ordered Peter May book - there were 3 and I just ordered the practice papers. If you think the others would help too then please let me know as I need to give myself the best chance as you said. Lyx - well done on the score of 9 and Wilson01 on your score of 8.5 - can I borrow your brains for the day - isn't 9 the highest you can get - you both did amazing?

Do you know how long the NBWA usually take to issue registration following receipt of application and all relevant documentation?

I have also applied for a job at KEMH (King Edward Memorial Hospital) - it was an advert that is open until 29th March, so I am assuming they will look at all applications after this point? I am a little worried about whether I will gain employment, but I do believe that this is a pretty normal worry to have. Does anyone know any agencies for health professionals and more importantly would you advise using them or not?

Thank you again to both of you - I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond and help me

Bye for now Pops xxx

Last edited by Popsicals; Feb 21st 2010 at 8:08 am.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:53 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Sorry can't help with the NBWA because I registered with QNC (they are only taking 2-4 weeks for overseas applications presently - which is a huge improvement on last year.)
Lol - thanks about being brainy but I honestly owe my 9 to peter may. I only used the practise tests, but I thought I was going to cry after my first attempt at studying, I had no idea it would be as difficult, but I soon got into the IELTS way of thinking.
The best piece of advice I was given was that these tests are designed for non native english speakers - so start thinking that way and don't get bogged down looking too deeply for answers.
As for agencies I made contact with Health Staff Recruitment, but we've put everything on hold until after our validation trip at the end of the year. They do have a website with some jobs on it though.

http://www.healthstaffrecruitment.co...47SEO=N&247SEM
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:25 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you so so much Wilson01 and Lyx for explaining this to me. It really just didn't ring true, but you never know.

I have booked my IELTS for 10th April, results on 23rd April, fly out 25th April!!! I have to pass. I have bought the official IELTS Practice Materials book, which I am going to do on one of my days off when hubby is here as the door bell and phone interruptions can be dealt with by hubby whilst I do the tests. After your mail I have also ordered Peter May book - there were 3 and I just ordered the practice papers. If you think the others would help too then please let me know as I need to give myself the best chance as you said. Lyx - well done on the score of 9 and Wilson01 on your score of 8.5 - can I borrow your brains for the day - isn't 9 the highest you can get - you both did amazing?

Do you know how long the NBWA usually take to issue registration following receipt of application and all relevant documentation?

I have also applied for a job at KEMH (King Edward Memorial Hospital) - it was an advert that is open until 29th March, so I am assuming they will look at all applications after this point? I am a little worried about whether I will gain employment, but I do believe that this is a pretty normal worry to have. Does anyone know any agencies for health professionals and more importantly would you advise using them or not?

Thank you again to both of you - I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond and help me

Bye for now Pops xxx
Hi Pops,
Good luck with your impending studies - I remember clearly feeling very indignant that I was having to do IELTS as a brit native, THEN tried a few practice tests online and when got the feedback............realised I had some homework to do (that'll teach me!!!!) I found the listening particularly hard, cos I felt like the narratives led you up the wrong pathway (sheer trickery) but after a few practises got my scores up where they needed to be - It was not too bad........Honest Good Luck for April and for the rest of your journey........
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wilson01
Hi, I think she was MOST definately having a bad day

You do not need to have your skills assessed by ANMC as you already have your visa. However in order to be able to register as a midwife in Oz you will need to take IELTS and obtain at least 7 in all parts. Once you have your score you can then apply for registration with WA

You do not need to have left your current employment to obtain a work reference. Just explain to your Manager (if they are nice!) that you need a reference that covers the following points (print off the reference requirements for the WA Nurse registration) as you are starting your registration process in Australia
Hi Amanda

I just wanted to ask if you knew where the details requirements for the reference from work are on the website? I have found a list where it lists the required documentation including the requirement for a statement of service from your recent employer. However, I cannot find a list of what should be in that statement of service? I assume it is just my start date, maybe my resignation date, number of hours I work, ? maybe department in which I work? If there is a formal list would you be able to help me find it please

Thanks Pops
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

I'v found it now - phew!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 11:36 am
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I have am emigrating to Perth in June. I qualified in January 09 as a nurse. You have just answering a pressing question that I had after reading info on registering in OZ. Here goes, as you only qualified in 09 it it correct that because you a perm visa on OH occupation that I don't need the 12 months experience to work as a midwife in OZ? I was reading the info and can't get my head around it. I was beginging to think I would have to do the bridging program. Good luck for IELTS test. Get my results on Saturday, but I did really badly so I will probably resit in Perth.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:33 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Hi. I have am emigrating to Perth in June. I qualified in January 09 as a nurse. You have just answering a pressing question that I had after reading info on registering in OZ. Here goes, as you only qualified in 09 it it correct that because you a perm visa on OH occupation that I don't need the 12 months experience to work as a midwife in OZ? I was reading the info and can't get my head around it. I was beginging to think I would have to do the bridging program. Good luck for IELTS test. Get my results on Saturday, but I did really badly so I will probably resit in Perth.
Wait til Saturday, it's easy to think the worst. Btw my results never arrived, they were delayed in the post and came on the TUESDAY . I was horrendous all weekend, stalking the postman etc.
Good luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that I passed my IELTS!! in absolute shock I got listening 9 , reading 8, writing 7 and speaking 9. overall 8.5. Pretty good for a nurse that my strongest points are speaking and listening I thought. Now I have a question. A copy has gone to the nursing board, but I haven't actually applied yet as I was awaiting these results. Will they open up a file assuming that my application will follow or should I email them.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that I passed my IELTS!! in absolute shock I got listening 9 , reading 8, writing 7 and speaking 9. overall 8.5. Pretty good for a nurse that my strongest points are speaking and listening I thought. Now I have a question. A copy has gone to the nursing board, but I haven't actually applied yet as I was awaiting these results. Will they open up a file assuming that my application will follow or should I email them.
First of all, congratulations on your IELTS score, pretty fantastic eh And yes you are right, the nursing board will open a file with your name on it and wait for your further documents to arrive. They like to receive the IELTS score first
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wilson01
First of all, congratulations on your IELTS score, pretty fantastic eh And yes you are right, the nursing board will open a file with your name on it and wait for your further documents to arrive. They like to receive the IELTS score first
Phew thanks. I had images of them getting my IELTS result and thinking who the hell is this, and then binning it! Just emailed th NMC to ask for a verification pack, they charge £34 pounds to send the relevent stuff to the Australian nursing board, its turning out to be a dear do to register, god knows how much the solicitor will charge to sign my docs.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Well done . Really pleased for you, one stress down

Pops xxx
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:39 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Kayelem;8398862]Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that I passed my IELTS!! in absolute shock I got listening 9 , reading 8, writing 7 and speaking 9. overall 8.5.
QUOTE]

Fab!!! Well done you.
I got all my documents certified by the Justice of the Peace at my local community court, he also signed and stamped my statuary declaration on my nursing registration. It was all free.
Just a thought that it may be available in your area and save you some cash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.