sister pay

Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Jes48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking sister pay

Hi everyone. My wife and I are both nurses working in operating theatres. Velna works as a Sister/Team leader and is on band 6 earning about £27000. with 20 years as a nurse. She will be the main applicant for the visa.
I am an SEN with an anaesthetic NVQ Level 3 qualification though at the moment I do mainly scrub (Yes I am one of the few men that can multitask!). I have never bothered converting as have worked as Senior and even Princible ODP ! I am band 5 on about £22000 with nearly 30 years of theatre work (crikey didnt realise I was that old!)
Anyway we are quite confused as to what we could expect to earn even after going through this forum. We are looking at Queensland at the moment. Can anyone give us any idea what Velna would be able to earn and if operating theatre jobs are available?

Many thanks for any info,

Jes
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:49 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: sister pay

Hi Jes, here is a link to the Mater Adult Hospital, advertising for theatre RN's, this is just a guide and probably the minimum both of you would earn as you would probably be able to apply for senior positions, but I hope this helps.
http://www.mater.org.au/emp/viewjob.asp?id=1350
Good luck.
Clairex
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Re: sister pay

Hi,

If you go into the search facility there are a couple of threads with the payment scales for each of the states on them.

As for finding jobs

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/jobs/Re...&Search=Search

has a few and I would recommend using www.seek.com.au as well.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: sister pay

Thanks for the info. It looks like my wife, Velna could expect about $57000 pa which is a lot less than she is on now. Having worked out that we would need a mortgage with payments of about $800 - $1000 per month depending on property things dont look too rosy. I knew we would not earn as much and I know that tax is at something like 30% then health care payments etc it looks unlikely that our standard of living would be anything like we have here, except that wonderful weather!
Well I will do a bit more research before making any definite decision. What are peoples monthly outgoings? eg. heating, council tax, car tax, insurance etc?

Many thanks to those of you who have taken the time to reply, I know there is a lot of interest at the moment (things are dire in UK!) with many people asking same questions so here is a little joke as a thankyou!

My wife sent this as a text message:
Darling I have been invited to a dope party at the weekend, but its bring your own dope, are you free?

I could threaten you all with more jokes if I get more replies!.................but I won't!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife's income is not guaranteed at that level unless she actually gets a job at that level....it is not automatic.....it is not a straight transfer from the UK.

you also need to check how easy it would be to get a job as an SEN. They do not exist in the same way in Australia and may not be available in your field.

G
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

I think if you were to move to Queensland I have heard that its a little cheaper to live there with regards to buying property and living standard. Also, yes your wife may not find a job of a similar level to what she had back in the UK but then I would not be moving to Oz just for the weather it has to be a collection of things. I guess it depends on what you want out of life. I know of people who earn only $40k and have families who survive and have great lives in Australia. Just depends what your needs are.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:06 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I think if you were to move to Queensland I have heard that its a little cheaper to live there with regards to buying property and living standard. Also, yes your wife may not find a job of a similar level to what she had back in the UK but then I would not be moving to Oz just for the weather it has to be a collection of things. I guess it depends on what you want out of life. I know of people who earn only $40k and have families who survive and have great lives in Australia. Just depends what your needs are.
They are supposed to transfer you at equivalent pay level if you apply for job at that level but then doesn't always work in practice.

Queensland used to be cheaper but is now on a steady rise due to influx of people and increase in general popularity etc. so catching up with other states slowly but surely.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:10 am

If you are working in a comparable job you should be very comfortable at that level as it's more than a lot of Queenslanders make and you would get a reasonable house for that amount. I find my standard of living here is better in some aspects and worse in others it's all swings and roundabouts. You just can't get exactly the same wage automatically here it is transferred to Aus grade comparable. You also get salary sacrificing that gives you extra mortgage incentive.
Originally Posted by Jes48
Thanks for the info. It looks like my wife, Velna could expect about $57000 pa which is a lot less than she is on now. Having worked out that we would need a mortgage with payments of about $800 - $1000 per month depending on property things dont look too rosy. I knew we would not earn as much and I know that tax is at something like 30% then health care payments etc it looks unlikely that our standard of living would be anything like we have here, except that wonderful weather!
Well I will do a bit more research before making any definite decision. What are peoples monthly outgoings? eg. heating, council tax, car tax, insurance etc?

Many thanks to those of you who have taken the time to reply, I know there is a lot of interest at the moment (things are dire in UK!) with many people asking same questions so here is a little joke as a thankyou!

My wife sent this as a text message:
Darling I have been invited to a dope party at the weekend, but its bring your own dope, are you free?

I could threaten you all with more jokes if I get more replies!.................but I won't!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Ann (qldau) thanks for the comments. I love your avatar! I cannot drink a beer without smiling any more!
Yes I knew that sacrifices would have to be made as our income would be lower, but my wife was not attuned to this fact! I would imagine the work would be much the same with the same every day problems we get in UK: lack of staff, incompetent managers, lists never finishing on time etc. But for me the allure of Australia is that when you go home you can sit out with that bottle of beer (smiling again!) with your feet up, watching the kids drowning in the pool while listening to some great Yes music while the sun gently sets..........oh getting carried away there! But like you say its what you want out of life, whats more important, so as long as we are financially ok meaning we can pay all our bills I hope we will be over this year, just got to persuade the wife!

Ok you asked for it........another joke from my phone!
Farmer giles gets a phone call from his farm hand."I've run over a pig and its stuck under the tractor still alive what should I do?" "shoot it says the farmer and bury him in the field"
The farmer gets another phone call........."done that, what should I do with his speed camera?..............
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

when you go home you can sit out with that bottle of beer (smiling again!) with your feet up, watching the kids drowning in the pool while listening to some great Yes music while the sun gently sets
If I were you I would also check out things like what time it gets dark in Queensland....a lot earlier than you may think.

As for sunsets they don't really happen. It is light and then it is dark...not long evenings like the UK.....and then the mozzies come out!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:00 am

We've never regretted the move at all... having a life we wouldn't of had if we'd stayed in UK although we love UK still. We do have a very slight dusk but it is dark by about 7.30 in summer and earlier other times of the year.

Plenty of different nursing jobs on offer so lots of choice and ever expanding.

Liked the joke.

Ann (qldau) thanks for the comments. I love your avatar! I cannot drink a beer without smiling any more!
Yes I knew that sacrifices would have to be made as our income would be lower, but my wife was not attuned to this fact! I would imagine the work would be much the same with the same every day problems we get in UK: lack of staff, incompetent managers, lists never finishing on time etc. But for me the allure of Australia is that when you go home you can sit out with that bottle of beer (smiling again!) with your feet up, watching the kids drowning in the pool while listening to some great Yes music while the sun gently sets..........oh getting carried away there! But like you say its what you want out of life, whats more important, so as long as we are financially ok meaning we can pay all our bills I hope we will be over this year, just got to persuade the wife!

Ok you asked for it........another joke from my phone!
Farmer giles gets a phone call from his farm hand."I've run over a pig and its stuck under the tractor still alive what should I do?" "shoot it says the farmer and bury him in the field"
The farmer gets another phone call........."done that, what should I do with his speed camera?..............
Originally Posted by Grayling
If I were you I would also check out things like what time it gets dark in Queensland....a lot earlier than you may think.

As for sunsets they don't really happen. It is light and then it is dark...not long evenings like the UK.....and then the mozzies come out!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that info Grayling, may I first say how sorry I am for you if you really are a Blakey lookalike!! (I'm a Rowan Atkinson, so know how you feel, well I was while I still had hair, although I choose to shave it off now!)

Never thought about what time it gets dark! (is that the same for all Australia?) I was going to say I would bring my garden lights, but you also mentioned.................THE MOZZEY'S. Does cheap after shave work in deterring them (mine) or expensive perfume (velna's) we will have to put it to the test. But I must admit that I am suppressed at what time it gets dark, I was looking forward to sitting outside in the evening supervising the kids doing their chores...grass cutting, stone washing and painting, drive cleaning, car cleaning etc.
Well we are starting the process with the Queensland Nursing Council application package, I am off sick with the flu at the moment...green slime is everywhere so Velna will be doing all the paper work, am down to 5 hankies a day so think I am getting better!

OK its that time again....................

A Sale's man knocks on a door. A kid opens it wearing only a thong and bra, smoking a fag and holding a bottle of whiskey from which she took a swig. The sale's man says, " Is your mother in?" to which the kid replied "does it ****ing look like it!

(Hope that passes the administrator's strict controls!)

Any other thoughts of wisdom on our future move to the dark mozy infested country (getting to sound like MAD MAX movie) gratefully received.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:15 am
Bitter and twisted

The further south you go...the lighter the evenings are especially in the summer.

Mozzies can be a real pain but there are ways to deter them (partially) and they are worse near to water......don't underestimate them
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jes48;4367592]Hi everyone. My wife and I are both nurses working in operating theatres. Velna works as a Sister/Team leader and is on band 6 earning about £27000. with 20 years as a nurse. She will be the main applicant for the visa.
I am an SEN with an anaesthetic NVQ Level 3 qualification though at the moment I do mainly scrub (Yes I am one of the few men that can multitask!). I have never bothered converting as have worked as Senior and even Princible ODP ! I am band 5 on about £22000 with nearly 30 years of theatre work (crikey didnt realise I was that old!)
Anyway we are quite confused as to what we could expect to earn even after going through this forum. We are looking at Queensland at the moment. Can anyone give us any idea what Velna would be able to earn and if operating theatre jobs are available?

Hi Jes

I worked as a grade 6 community mental health nurse, I applied for a Clinical Nurse (level2) post in adelaide which is $59K a year. I am lucky that i am earning more than uk but have to work weekends, unsocial hours including nights and most of the public holidays if they fall on a friday.

Not sure if uk SEN recognised over here, although EN's are employed in hospitals here.

Best of luck to you

Ali x
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:35 am

I'm fairly sure that UK EN is recognized but will have no where near as much responsibility as in UK.

[QUOTE=Alison1967;4373996]
Hi everyone. My wife and I are both nurses working in operating theatres. Velna works as a Sister/Team leader and is on band 6 earning about £27000. with 20 years as a nurse. She will be the main applicant for the visa.

Hi Jes

I worked as a grade 6 community mental health nurse, I applied for a Clinical Nurse (level2) post in adelaide which is $59K a year. I am lucky that i am earning more than uk but have to work weekends, unsocial hours including nights and most of the public holidays if they fall on a friday.

Not sure if uk SEN recognised over here, although EN's are employed in hospitals here.

Best of luck to you

Ali x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.