Should i renew my registration with NMC?

Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice
Default Should i renew my registration with NMC?

My 3 years expires Dec 07. Not sure wether to pay their extortinate fees for another 3 years or not?? Just sent off skills assess (5 weeks ago) and all being well may submit visa in April. Hopefully with house sale we could be gone as soon as visa granted. Just wondering if its likely to be before December or am i cutting it fine?

Just had to reapply for my own job today!! Lots of wards here closed, too many nurses so no-one in a 'safe' post anymore. Anyway if another 3 or 4 staff nurses fancy my job we all get interviewed & the best one wins!! The NHS is going CRAZY!! Can't wait to get out......
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Re: Should i renew my registration with NMC?

Hi,

I've asked this question a couple of times here and after being in Oz for over 2 years now I have only just decided not to renew my NMC registration.

I think if you have not been here before its actually worth keeping it up in case you decide to return to the UK within 2 and it will save you a lot of hassle of form filling. I listened to different people and their reasons for keeping but I decided that I need to return to the UK it would take me probably about 6 months to do so (i.e. to sell house find a job etc) and during that time I would be arranging to be re-registered.

I am working full time here as a Nurse so getting validation of practice hours would be no problem and that way I am saving around $100 per year in registration fees being sent back to the UK.

So I guess if you feel you are here for life, then don't bother but if you are unsure then I would keep it up.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mo33
My 3 years expires Dec 07. Not sure wether to pay their extortinate fees for another 3 years or not?? Just sent off skills assess (5 weeks ago) and all being well may submit visa in April. Hopefully with house sale we could be gone as soon as visa granted. Just wondering if its likely to be before December or am i cutting it fine?

Just had to reapply for my own job today!! Lots of wards here closed, too many nurses so no-one in a 'safe' post anymore. Anyway if another 3 or 4 staff nurses fancy my job we all get interviewed & the best one wins!! The NHS is going CRAZY!! Can't wait to get out......
Hi Guys!

I didn't bother to renew mine...simply because it seems too expensive!
Hopefully I never will have to set foot in a UK hospital again (but if I do, I'll apply to re-register) A friend of mine just did this, and apparently it's a quite straight forward process.
Tanya
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I am working full time here as a Nurse so getting validation of practice hours would be no problem and that way I am saving around $100 per year in registration fees being sent back to the UK.
Nurses must be the only professionals to even contemplate something like this.

I have never heard of a UK qualified lawyer, accountant or engineer allowing their British qualification to drop away, even if they live in Australia and have become Australian qualified too.

If you let your UK registration drop away, you will at best face hassle getting it back later on. At worst you may have to re-qualify if rules have changed (as if you are not currently registered you would not benefit from any "grandfathering" provisions).

It might also be a problem should you ever go to a third country which recognises UK qualifications but not Australian.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice

Thanks for your replies. Think i'll have to renew just in case things go belly up!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

when I renewed mine last year noticed now done annually I have no plans once I reach the USA to renew mine. I should be able to prove hours easy enough if I do return and already having a PIN will make things easier as all I am going to do is make mine inactive and addressed to the USA
Old Mar 6th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Nurses must be the only professionals to even contemplate something like this.

I have never heard of a UK qualified lawyer, accountant or engineer allowing their British qualification to drop away, even if they live in Australia and have become Australian qualified too.

If you let your UK registration drop away, you will at best face hassle getting it back later on. At worst you may have to re-qualify if rules have changed (as if you are not currently registered you would not benefit from any "grandfathering" provisions).

It might also be a problem should you ever go to a third country which recognises UK qualifications but not Australian.
Actually, I know of quite a few professionals (non-medical) who haven't bothered to re-register. Whats the point of funding another Country when you don't intend to leave the one you are in?? Its acutally quite easy to re-register with the NMC as long as you have been practising in the Country you intent to stay in. If you don't intend to practise then you should consider keeping your NMC registration. If, however, like most people here, you intend to stay in Australia for 3 years plus then its worth not spending the extra money on funding the NMC's pockets. It takes a couple of forms to re-register. Since the NMC has been set up all UK qualified RN's have always been able to re-register as long as they have been practising, and if not,then they have to do a "return to practice" course which is fairly straightforward and such that any good nurse should be able to do.

The UK has and I am guessing always will be one of the 15 countries with high regard for its RN course and as such most people with good practice will be able to work anywhere in the world (not counting the US with different requirements).

If RN's can afford to stay registered with the NMC then stay but the for the majority its something we cannot afford as we don't get paid enough to be able to afford to send money back to stay registered.