Queensland: how long after criminal checks?

Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice
Default Queensland: how long after criminal checks?

Hi Everyone,
I got told by Queensland Health that they have started to check to see if I have any criminal history - that was on the 23rd Nov. Does anyone know approximately how long after that can I expect to be told which hospitals wish to offer me a job and does this reply normally come as email or through the post.

Thanks,

Mark
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:17 am
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice
Default Re: Queensland: how long after criminal checks?

Originally Posted by cheshiremark
Hi Everyone,
I got told by Queensland Health that they have started to check to see if I have any criminal history - that was on the 23rd Nov. Does anyone know approximately how long after that can I expect to be told which hospitals wish to offer me a job and does this reply normally come as email or through the post.

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark,

My experience was following interview in June clearance came through via email in October. I had spent a few nights staying up late to phone and sent off a few emails as I did not want to start my application with QNC until a firm offer had come through. I was told the delay was due to the recruitment team being in the UK and then posting all the applications back prior to returning to Oz. Mine may have been one of many that had such a long delay, I think a couple of weeks would be the norm, however taking into account the Christmas break, things may be a bit slower. Its always worth a quick phone call if you have any worries about the time scale, I have always found the staff very helpful and give reassuring. Good luck with it.
Paul
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough

I was starting to wonder/worry! I got offered a job in November, but my manager was a real pain by forgetting to send my reference, which she eventually did just before Christmas!
I'd have hoped to have found out pretty soon, but still nothing
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

nurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by PJMA
Hi Mark,

My experience was following interview in June clearance came through via email in October. I had spent a few nights staying up late to phone and sent off a few emails as I did not want to start my application with QNC until a firm offer had come through. I was told the delay was due to the recruitment team being in the UK and then posting all the applications back prior to returning to Oz. Mine may have been one of many that had such a long delay, I think a couple of weeks would be the norm, however taking into account the Christmas break, things may be a bit slower. Its always worth a quick phone call if you have any worries about the time scale, I have always found the staff very helpful and give reassuring. Good luck with it.
Paul

Hi Mark

I agree with Paul.... give them a ring and pester them. I was also offered a job in June and it seemed like i had to wait ages for a response so i rang them which seemed to get things moving (the staff are very friendly). i have only just applied for the visa (4 weeks ago).

good luck m8

Mark
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:25 pm
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice

Originally Posted by nurse32
Hi Mark

I agree with Paul.... give them a ring and pester them. I was also offered a job in June and it seemed like i had to wait ages for a response so i rang them which seemed to get things moving (the staff are very friendly). i have only just applied for the visa (4 weeks ago).

good luck m8

Mark
Hi Mark,

What visa have you gone for?

I had hoped we would be setting off in March, but due to delays with firm job offer, I waited to apply for registration, I am now waiting for my past employers to get their fingers out and send me confirmation. It's a bit of a joke, having to remind people you have not been in contact with for 5 years, who you are then asking them if they would give you a reference for "evidence of recency of practice, and fitness and competence to practice."

Having been employed as a nurse within my field of practice and my registration has been maintained for longer than this period of time, I can not understand why we have to go through such rigorous checks. I would not be on the register if I was not competent and I would not have been able to remain at work had their been any issues with my practice. Why do you need your supervisor to sign it and not HR

Have either you or Mark (or any one else) had any trouble with meeting/getting this info?

Paul
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Originally Posted by PJMA
Hi Mark,

Paul
Hi Paul,
I think I'll email them at first, just to ask them how far through the process my application is. It's a shame that there is so much of a time difference isn't it, it would be nice to phone. I may stay up late one night, or phone them very early. Do you have any idea what time they start work? Is it 9 to 5 Queensland time?

Mark
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by katamina
I was starting to wonder/worry! I got offered a job in November, but my manager was a real pain by forgetting to send my reference, which she eventually did just before Christmas!
I'd have hoped to have found out pretty soon, but still nothing
Hi Katamina,
My job offer was on the 22 Oct. I manage to get my first referee to send of her's within about 10 days of that date but my other referee was on holiday and so had to wait till she got back from that. We tried to speed things up by faxing the reference but the day after I emailed them asking if they had now received both of my references and they emailed me back saying that the fax was unreadable. I had to wait till the following week before I was on with my supervisor again and rather than waste time trying to use the hospital's old fax machines, and risk it being unreadable again, she gave me the reference to post. It was about a week later, on the 22nd Nov, I got an email from Queensland Health saying that they had received all the required documents and were now proceeding to do the criminal history checks and I haven't heard anything since then

Mark
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Mark

good luck m8

Mark
Hi Mark,
I think you might have told me this on previous threads but which visa have you applied for?

Mark
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

nurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nicenurse32 is just really nice

Hi Mark,
I think you might have told me this on previous threads but which visa have you applied for?

Mark
hi Mark

i have actually applied for a 457 and a 175.... applied for 457 because it is supposed to be quicker to process and applied ofr the 175 now as it would be easier for me to apply from this country (getting correct documents and needing meds for 457 anyway so used them for both visa applications). Also if i left it much longer, i would have lost points for my age... good luck with everything

Mark
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi Mark

i have actually applied for a 457 and a 175.... applied for 457 because it is supposed to be quicker to process and applied ofr the 175 now as it would be easier for me to apply from this country (getting correct documents and needing meds for 457 anyway so used them for both visa applications). Also if i left it much longer, i would have lost points for my age... good luck with everything

Mark
Hi Mark,
At this moment in time your're doing exactly what I'm planning to do. Up to a month ago I only had 105 points so was just doing the 457 but I have since got the extra points for doing the IELTS so I now have 115 points. I can get the extra points to make it up to 120 through having a job offer. I have contacted Queensland Health saying that I would like to do a PR visa instead of a 457 but they said that a Pr visa can take up to 18 months and there is no way that they will hold a job open for me that long. I'm not sure where they get 18 months from because when I look at other nurses on this site who have taken the 175 route its been approve in as quick as 4 or 5 months. As a result I've decide that, all being well, when I get an offer from a hospital I will apply for both visas.

You probably know this already but according to the visa rules a 175 cannot be granted while you are on Australian soil. If you are there working on a 457 when they are about to make the decision about whether to grant it or not they will write to you to tell you and you have to leave the country while they do it. I might be going to Australia on my own at first, still have a house to sell and a 457 is a bit restrictive for those of us with families. If my family is still in the UK when I get the letter I will come back to the UK to pickup my family and we will all come to back to Australia when, hopefully, it gets granted. If however we have sold the house before the 175 has been approved my family will come across while I'm in Australia and we will all then go to NZ for a holiday while they make the decision.

Mark
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mark,
At this moment in time your're doing exactly what I'm planning to do. Up to a month ago I only had 105 points so was just doing the 457 but I have since got the extra points for doing the IELTS so I now have 115 points. I can get the extra points to make it up to 120 through having a job offer. I have contacted Queensland Health saying that I would like to do a PR visa instead of a 457 but they said that a Pr visa can take up to 18 months and there is no way that they will hold a job open for me that long. I'm not sure where they get 18 months from because when I look at other nurses on this site who have taken the 175 route its been approve in as quick as 4 or 5 months. As a result I've decide that, all being well, when I get an offer from a hospital I will apply for both visas.

You probably know this already but according to the visa rules a 175 cannot be granted while you are on Australian soil. If you are there working on a 457 when they are about to make the decision about whether to grant it or not they will write to you to tell you and you have to leave the country while they do it. I might be going to Australia on my own at first, still have a house to sell and a 457 is a bit restrictive for those of us with families. If my family is still in the UK when I get the letter I will come back to the UK to pickup my family and we will all come to back to Australia when, hopefully, it gets granted. If however we have sold the house before the 175 has been approved my family will come across while I'm in Australia and we will all then go to NZ for a holiday while they make the decision.

Mark
Hi Mark

I was aware of that rule so like you, will go to NZ... I am going on my own so its only myself i have to worry about.....

good luck with it all m8 !!!!