points for nurses

Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

mlbowden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default points for nurses

Hello! My name is Michelle, I am a registered nurse in the UK. I will be 35 in July, so will lose points for my age. I have since heard that nurses get an extra 10 points purely for their profession, is this on top of the 60 points already given??? Any help would be appreciated, regards Michelle
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: points for nurses

Originally posted by mlbowden
Hello! My name is Michelle, I am a registered nurse in the UK. I will be 35 in July, so will lose points for my age. I have since heard that nurses get an extra 10 points purely for their profession, is this on top of the 60 points already given??? Any help would be appreciated, regards Michelle
Michelle
There have been hundreds of posts about Nursing on this site.Try the search facility.
If you have experience you should have no problems getting accepted and probably a lot sooner than you think.
Try these threads;
www.immi.gov.au
www.anci.org.au

One tip: register in a state before apllying to the ANC to have your skills assessed.You then only have to do a modified assessment for your skills.
Look on the website for the state you are interested in.

Try this as an example:

www.nursesreg.health.nsw.gov.au

This is for NSW.
Good luck

G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grayling
Michelle
There have been hundreds of posts about Nursing on this site.Try the search facility.
If you have experience you should have no problems getting accepted and probably a lot sooner than you think.
Try these threads;
www.immi.gov.au
www.anci.org.au

One tip: register in a state before apllying to the ANC to have your skills assessed.You then only have to do a modified assessment for your skills.

Try this as an example:

This is for NSW.

g

wish i had read up on this earlier had my skills assessed by anc now have to pay an extra 20 dollars to get registered in sa

although had a lovely e-mail from anc to confirm they have sent my skills assessment to sa and that it was done free of charge they actually stated they i bet i was happy that i didnt have to pay extra to get it done
Good luck

arlene
Old Apr 8th 2004, 3:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by arlene
Originally posted by Grayling
Michelle
Try these threads;
www.immi.gov.au
www.anci.org.au

Try this as an example:

This is for NSW.

g

wish i had read up on this earlier had my skills assessed by anc now have to pay an extra 20 dollars to get registered in sa

although had a lovely e-mail from anc to confirm they have sent my skills assessment to sa and that it was done free of charge they actually stated they i bet i was happy that i didnt have to pay extra to get it done
Good luck

arlene
Arlene
I suspect this is kept deliberately vague as the ANC must make a fair amount of money doing skills assessments.
It is far cheaper to register with a state first.
In fact,If you do not need points for migration you do not need to go through the ANC at all!
I registered in NSW a couple of years ago and as I don't need points I have never contacted the ANC.
Still It's done now.
Best wishes

G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by mlbowden
Links already given above in the replies, but, extra 10 points as nursing is an occupation in demand, 15 if you have a job offer. And theres points for specific work experience....

Good luck,

HB x
Old Apr 11th 2004, 6:50 pm
Jaj

Look at the skilled points test on the DIMIA website, with specific
reference to the MODL (Migration Occupations in Demand List).

Or have a look in the Skilled Migration Booklet - it's all there.

Jeremy

mlbowden wrote:

> Hello! My name is Michelle, I am a registered nurse in the UK. I will
    > be 35 in July, so will lose points for my age. I have since heard that
    > nurses get an extra 10 points purely for their profession, is this on
    > top of the 60 points already given??? Any help would be appreciated,
    > regards Michelle
    >
    >

--
This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Apr 13th 2004, 9:26 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi michelle,
cant really add much more than what everyone else has said, only that nurses get processed much quicker than others on skilled independant visas!
the other way round the point system is if you want to go to somewhere like south australia or tasmania (think the other state is victoria???) you can apply for state nomination from them, and as a nurse will have no probs getting in as its not points tested. the application is all the same, you just send your skills assessment to the state with their stni application form and they write back with yes or no - quick way of doing it!!

good luck!!

sue
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Another option would be to get sponsored on a 4 year temp visa (no points test). Then when you are in Aus, apply for a perm visa. I believe you can get additional points for actual work experience in Australia. It's a way of getting to Aus quicker if you want to get out here ASAP
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 1:39 pm
The Ormes

louise orme is on a distinguished road

Hi, Michelle, im 36 and were planning to go to Oz. Yes you do get an extra 10 points on top of the 60, for occupation in demand, if you have a job offer as well they give you an extra 5 pts. As someone said the quickest way is through a nursing agency for work sponsored job, the only drawbacks are, you have to work fulltime, and you have to remain with the employer or the visa is invalid and they say they only pay level1 which is equivelent to D/E grade. We looked into but decided to go for PR visa, go to OZ and find job when there. I've made some contacts who have said once you arrive give us a call and they will set up interview.
What area of nursing are you and what part of Oz are you going to?
Cheers Louise x
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

A couple of points of clarification:

If you are sponsored by and employer (or an agency) you don't have to work full time;

Salaries and benefits are generally based around state agreements. In Victoria, for example, an experienced nurse would expect to start at level 3 without any supervisory experience. For a charge nurse you would be looking at level 5.

If you decide to move on, you can transfer your sponsorship - and in nursing alot of the public hospitals/Regional health authorities, as well as a number of private ones, already have employer sponsorship status, so that wouldn't be a major issue.

If you want more specific info, drop me a PM.

Cheers

Kev
Old May 5th 2004, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kevmitch
A couple of points of clarification:

If you are sponsored by and employer (or an agency) you don't have to work full time;

Salaries and benefits are generally based around state agreements. In Victoria, for example, an experienced nurse would expect to start at level 3 without any supervisory experience. For a charge nurse you would be looking at level 5.

If you decide to move on, you can transfer your sponsorship - and in nursing alot of the public hospitals/Regional health authorities, as well as a number of private ones, already have employer sponsorship status, so that wouldn't be a major issue.

If you want more specific info, drop me a PM.

Cheers

Kev

Hi Kev
Actually looked into going over on a Temp visa to begin with, but changed to PR because Geneva Health told me on the telephone, that if I worked for them under sponsorship, I would have to work a 38 hour week. As I have worked part time for the last 12 years, I felt that I just couldnt do this and so took the option of applying for PR where I will have the freedom to work (or not) as I please.
The other thing with Temp visa in NSW was that I would have had to pay fees for state schools whereas with PR this is not the case. Think NSW may be the only state where this rule applies to Temp visa holders.
Old May 8th 2004, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

I'm surprised the agency is putting the 38 hour condition on you, I know its not general practice. Certainly the employers (if not the agencies) will offer sponsorship and part time working. In some cases they will also pay additional amounts to cover accomodation, flights, etc (mainly the non suburban hospitals/Area Health providers).

In addition, if you were looking to come over for a max of 4 years, there are certain tax breaks available under the living away from home scheme (generally only available to employer sponsored temp visa holders with no intention of applying for a perm visa).

You're right about NSW charging for public education for temp visa holders. We're paying $5500 per annum for my son (he's in year 11). The Bob Carr state government is anti immigration, as it believes Sydney is 'full up'

Good luck with the perm visa application. Keep in contact, as I may be able to help with finding you a role - let me know when, where and what you're ideally looking for and I'll see what I can do.

best wishes

Kev
Old May 8th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kevmitch
I'm surprised the agency is putting the 38 hour condition on you, I know its not general practice. Certainly the employers (if not the agencies) will offer sponsorship and part time working. In some cases they will also pay additional amounts to cover accomodation, flights, etc (mainly the non suburban hospitals/Area Health providers).

In addition, if you were looking to come over for a max of 4 years, there are certain tax breaks available under the living away from home scheme (generally only available to employer sponsored temp visa holders with no intention of applying for a perm visa).

You're right about NSW charging for public education for temp visa holders. We're paying $5500 per annum for my son (he's in year 11). The Bob Carr state government is anti immigration, as it believes Sydney is 'full up'

Good luck with the perm visa application. Keep in contact, as I may be able to help with finding you a role - let me know when, where and what you're ideally looking for and I'll see what I can do.

best wishes

Kev
Hi Kev

Thanks for that. I actually have PR visa - got it granted three weeks after I applied. I have registered with Drake Medox who are a nursing agency in Sydney who I believe have quite a lot of nurses/clients.

I work in neonatal cardiology and would definately love to stay in paeds. I am RSCN (and RGN) although I dont think I could go back to adult nursing. I work 20 hours and hope to continue working part time (finances allowing!!)

We are hoping to be in Sydney mid June but we want to settle for a few weeks before I go out to work, you know, just get the kids in school etc.

But any advice re Drake or anything else in my field would be hugely apppreciated.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2004, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Heather

Sounds like you're well sorted. I knew that nurses were being fast tracked, but 3 weeks must be some sort of record.

Where exactly are you heading for in Sydney? As you mention Drake are very active here, but you might also think about a couple of direct applications. for example have you thought about the Children's Hospital at Westmead - I know they are looking for registered Nurses (have you sorted out your NSW registration as yet?). The Director of HR there is Frank Horn, or you might want to contact Carrie Hopwood, or if you're heading towards the South East, there's Sydney Children's Hospital who I know have part time and/or casual/bank positions available.

Cheers

Kev
Old May 23rd 2004, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Grayling
Arlene
I suspect this is kept deliberately vague as the ANC must make a fair amount of money doing skills assessments.
It is far cheaper to register with a state first.
In fact,If you do not need points for migration you do not need to go through the ANC at all!
I registered in NSW a couple of years ago and as I don't need points I have never contacted the ANC.
Still It's done now.
Best wishes

G
Grayling,
Just to clarify are you saying that quickest way in to Australia for a nurse is to apply to the state direct for an assessment and then when that has been done submit your Visa App.?

My wife is a nurse and we are busy getting transcripts of courses etc to send off to the ANC. This it appears would be unnecessary. We are at the moment planning on SA to live.
Appreciate your thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.