Planning my year out to oz! Help please!

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Emilyannh15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Planning my year out to oz! Help please!

Hi, I am a community nurse here in the uk..visited oz for a three week holiday last year..(did Sydney to Brisbane up the coast) and fell in love with the place straight away! Now starting to plan my year out but struggling to know where to start! I am going alone which in itself is a big challenge for me, just wondered if anyone who has done a similar thing would share their experiences with me or offer any advice? Are there any programmes for support with accommodation/getting settled in that first week? I'm starting my AHPRA application, aware this can take a few months and be abit tricky, so any tips in relation to this would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou v much x
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning my year out to oz! Help please!

Originally Posted by Emilyannh15
Hi, I am a community nurse here in the uk..visited oz for a three week holiday last year..(did Sydney to Brisbane up the coast) and fell in love with the place straight away! Now starting to plan my year out but struggling to know where to start! I am going alone which in itself is a big challenge for me, just wondered if anyone who has done a similar thing would share their experiences with me or offer any advice? Are there any programmes for support with accommodation/getting settled in that first week? I'm starting my AHPRA application, aware this can take a few months and be abit tricky, so any tips in relation to this would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou v much x
Is your nursing qualification at degree level?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Yes it is, I have been qualified for 5 years now both ward and community experience
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emilyannh15
Yes it is, I have been qualified for 5 years now both ward and community experience
Then you have cleared the first hurdle.

Good luck
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

kt4gerrard is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same situation (looking to go over with my Husband) - is getting the AHPRA application the first step? Have you sat your IELTS?
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi! No I haven't I don't think that's required if you can prove you were taught & assessed in English for the 5 years at school.. That's how I read it... Not sure if anyone else is able to confirm this! Where are you looking to go to?
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Also yes it is.. Seems like the most time consuming.. In the mean time I have contacted the NMC for an application pack (for them to send my info to the AHPRA) then I will send them both at the same time.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

kt4gerrard is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah that's brilliant news. We had originally looked at NZ, who said the IELTS is required regardless (as do the NMC for nurses wanting to come here) - I've looked and you're right, that's a hassle gone now!
We're thinking of Brisbane. Travelled Sydney for a short time after working in NZ as a student nurse on my elective and wasn't too keen on it, but Brisbane looks nice (never actually been!)
I'm going to get onto my AHPRA application now!
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Good stuff! Thought that was the case! Good luck with your application!