Perth

Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth

Originally Posted by eddie007
Not my opinion.... and I'm in Perth...
WA has a hell of a long way to go before RN vacancies are reduced...
re-read my post and you will see that i wrote RN/EN's that i had spoken to, therefore excludes you
People were discussing this at work over the last few days, have yet to meet anyone who does not think that trained posts will be lost.
Agree 'hell of a long way to go before RN vacancies are reduced'.
Dom
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

prissy is an unknown quantity at this point

While am in this perth thread, I might as well ask how ICU nursing is. Do nurses look after 1:1 patients as it is in UK? This is where I would like to end up someday
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by don544
re-read my post and you will see that i wrote RN/EN's that i had spoken to, therefore excludes you
People were discussing this at work over the last few days, have yet to meet anyone who does not think that trained posts will be lost.
Agree 'hell of a long way to go before RN vacancies are reduced'.
Dom
Are you suggesting that I am not an RN? or merely that you haven't spoken to me?

We have AINs starting at the hospital I'm working at, and have heard some of the comments from "qualified" staff... I understand that these AINs are going to be in for a bumpy ride from some of their new colleagues and this really saddens me..

In the uk AINs were the backbone of the ward as far as the real handson work of nursing went and they were either your best friend or worst enemy... They could make or break your shift... Good AINs are worth their weight in gold....

I was really lucky becasue I was once one of them and recognised their contribution and was always grateful and accepting of the part they played in the team... From a Qualified perspective the success or otherwise of AINs was largely down to attitudes amongst the RN/ENs...

There may be more problems with acceptence here in WA as ENs are not educated for the same period of time or qualified at the same level as uk ENs were and My gut feeling is that they will feel more threatened than the RNs... as far as role and responsibility goes...

At the end of the day... we are all here to do our best for the pts and to do that we need more hands on staff... AINs are just that... more hands on staff who will support and supplement.... not take over...
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Are you suggesting that I am not an RN? or merely that you haven't spoken to me?

We have AINs starting at the hospital I'm working at, and have heard some of the comments from "qualified" staff... I understand that these AINs are going to be in for a bumpy ride from some of their new colleagues and this really saddens me..

In the uk AINs were the backbone of the ward as far as the real handson work of nursing went and they were either your best friend or worst enemy... They could make or break your shift... Good AINs are worth their weight in gold....

I was really lucky becasue I was once one of them and recognised their contribution and was always grateful and accepting of the part they played in the team... From a Qualified perspective the success or otherwise of AINs was largely down to attitudes amongst the RN/ENs...

There may be more problems with acceptence here in WA as ENs are not educated for the same period of time or qualified at the same level as uk ENs were and My gut feeling is that they will feel more threatened than the RNs... as far as role and responsibility goes...

At the end of the day... we are all here to do our best for the pts and to do that we need more hands on staff... AINs are just that... more hands on staff who will support and supplement.... not take over...
You really seem to be trying to pick a fight!
I have not mentioned your qualifications, or any thing for or against hca's. OP asked for advice, I gave MY opinion, or is my opinion not allowed if it differs to you??????

Last edited by don544; Jun 12th 2008 at 7:08 am. Reason: calmed down
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by don544
You really seem to be trying to pick a fight!
I have not mentioned your qualifications, or any thing for or against hca's. OP asked for advice, I gave MY opinion, or is my opinion not allowed if it differs to you??????
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Sharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the rough

I've been thinking that the benefits of the introduction of Nursing Assistants/HCA's could be maximised if qualified staff had some sense of input towards their training/preparation for the Wards.
I dont know anything about the HCA's current curriculum or the supervised clinical experience they receive prior to taking up their posts ..............
The NA's in Scotland were very well prepared in the college then they had plenty of supervision and guidance from the ward staff.
Have West Australian nurses been asked which skills would be useful to ease their workload and benefit patient care ?. How were you canvased...........?
Naturally the skills needed would be "area specific" (what would help me in Psychiatry could be quite different from a Medical or Surgical setting) but I do think that things will turn out better for everyone if their training is "needs led". If qualified staff can get involved in the NA/HCA training then concerns about overlapping/erosion of roles may no-longer be an issue.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Qualified staff have been involved in their training and will be involved in their supervision and mentorship... In some areas (can't speak for the WA public sector) A lot of the classroom based education has been provided by (sutiably qualified) RNs.. as well as being supported in practical placements by RNs

As for roles and responsibilities on the floor, and whether the WA public AINs work well or flop...... well that is as much down to the kind of qualified staff they encounter on the wards as the AINs themselves...

Seems to me that RNs/ENs can either embrace AINs as members of the team who can make a valuable contribution and are appreciated for that contribution.... or they can stay "up themselves" and carry on doing ALL the shoewers/washes/basic obs/feeds etc themselves..... because of course it takes a degree to be able to do these tasks adequately doesn't it

I for one am going out of my way to make sure that these new colleagues are supported, appreciated, supervised and treated according to my Professional Standards and my code of conduct.... which being from the uk includes sharing knowledge and supporting junior staff and co operating in an open and coperative manner....

bring em on
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

I am a Midwife in a very busy UK hospital and quite frankly could not function without our beloved HCA's!!
When training students, one of the first things I instill in them is to be respectful and helpful to the HCA's - they quite often have a sound knowledge base and lots of empathy! They also work extremely hard. I am certain our lives would be a lot more difficult without them.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Morko is on a distinguished road

Could anyone tell me about the present situation at Perth's surgeries? I'm a german RN with an additional education for working at surgeries. How is the job perspective in this field of nursing?

Thx in advance,

Morko
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by prissy
While am in this perth thread, I might as well ask how ICU nursing is. Do nurses look after 1:1 patients as it is in UK? This is where I would like to end up someday
its me again. someone please answer me
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Emma07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by prissy
its me again. someone please answer me
Hi Prissy

Yes - ICU ratio is 1:1 for a ventilated patient. You may get 1:2 with extubated patients. ICU's are similar between UK and Oz.

I can answer more specific questions if you have them?

Emma
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Perth

Originally Posted by Emma07
Hi Prissy

Yes - ICU ratio is 1:1 for a ventilated patient. You may get 1:2 with extubated patients. ICU's are similar between UK and Oz.

I can answer more specific questions if you have them?

Emma
That was so helpful. thankyou so much