Patient safety - my next (last!) essay.

Old Feb 29th 2008, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Patient safety - my next (last!) essay.

My dearest BE buddies!

What can I do to contribute to patient safety?

This is the title of my latest - and hopefully last - essay on my medical degree.

I have had such wonderful and helpful advice from BE nurses about their various clinical experiences, and was wondering if I could have your ideas about this topic.

I'm interested in hearing about your experiences relating to safety from the patient's perspective, the family's perspective, and that of yours as a nurse/midwife/OT.

Reading about your views helps me formulate my essay, as well as adding to my understanding of people's clinical experiences and hopefully - most importantly! - become a better doctor.

Many, many thanks

Ozzidoc
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patient safety - my next (last!) essay.

If I am thinking of patient safety, I would always start by looking at risk. One of the ways that you keep your patients safe is by being aware of the ways you may put them at risk.

You (a health professional) are a source of cross infection
You cause mobility/fall hazards by leaving things on the wrong place
You poison people with drugs (sometimes even the correct ones)
You misinform patients (by them not sharing your understanding)
You never have enough knowledge (no matter how hard you study)
You make people nervous just by being you

I could go on, but you get my drift. Health professionals put people at risk just by being there, and all while you promise to do them no harm. Safety is all about reducing the risks, risk awareness is the key to patient safety.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
If I am thinking of patient safety, I would always start by looking at risk. One of the ways that you keep your patients safe is by being aware of the ways you may put them at risk.

I could go on, but you get my drift. Health professionals put people at risk just by being there, and all while you promise to do them no harm. Safety is all about reducing the risks, risk awareness is the key to patient safety.
Thanks soooo much for replying.

Interesting that those things are all negatives! I want to be a safe doc, not a dangerous one LOL.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:34 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

main thing for safety is communication you communicate well with patients colleagues relatives and the multi disciplinary team thereby avoiding mistakes and misunderstandings, such as removing the wrong leg

you are aware of hospital protocols and policies and work within them. ie infection control, sharps, cossh

you keep your knowledge current and increase it with lifelong learning

your documentation is timely accurate and legible.

you are aware of your limits and are not afraid to ask a senior for information or help.

you work in concordance with patients.

you ensure safe prescribing by following guidelines and asking pharmacists for advice when necessary.

just a few ideas off the top of my head hope they help
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:28 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
main thing for safety is communication you communicate well with patients colleagues relatives and the multi disciplinary team thereby avoiding mistakes and misunderstandings, such as removing the wrong leg

you are aware of hospital protocols and policies and work within them. ie infection control, sharps, cossh

you keep your knowledge current and increase it with lifelong learning

your documentation is timely accurate and legible.

you are aware of your limits and are not afraid to ask a senior for information or help.

you work in concordance with patients.

you ensure safe prescribing by following guidelines and asking pharmacists for advice when necessary.

just a few ideas off the top of my head hope they help
I agree with Asher regarding communication being the most important area, as a mental health nurse safety is perhaps a slightly different concept for me. More about risk to self and others and less re. infection control (though still important)
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia

you operate on them twice in one day, one operation not required
Old Mar 1st 2008, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
you operate on them twice in one day, one operation not required
ehhhhm yep, patient was elderly, confused and couldnt speak english, with a consent signed!!

In scotland this type of patient would have reqd a different type of consent with the requirements that go with it, (cant remember the name of it, its only been in use for a couple of years), caused a bit of an uproar on introduction, but the medical staff were basically told to settle down there was nothing they could do about it , it was now the law