One year later

Old Jul 6th 2006, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jacs will become famous soon enoughJacs will become famous soon enough
Default One year later

we have been here a year now and what a year!!!
I am writing this as my thoughts and opinions and I am aware that they may not be agreeable with all

So how do I start, nursing!!!!
well I have had several jobs one in a practice lasted a month nothing more than a glorified receptionist, couldnt even do dressings or immunisations without a Gp peering over my shoulder, the staff were lovely on a positive but practice nursing is at least 20 years behind uk and is paid badly. I was expecting differances but not to that degree although I had been told how bad it was, I kept my fingers crossed and hopes high but was dashed within days

My recent job well the manager fell out with the team spoke to like silly kids her way or no way and made it quite obvious she wanted to get rid of one of the staff, she had no listening skills or management skills (her first time being a leader) and wanted to get the credit for everyone elses work, I also do Indig health as a backfill fortunately the manager there thinks im great and wants to keep me
I have met many Uk nurses some on wards who are finding things slightly differant but enjoying it I have met otheres who have left the profession and some that are returing to the uk, as they have had enough
Knowing what I know now that nursing in my opinion is worse than the uk I certainly wouldnt be here but hindsight is a great thing and i needed to experiance things for myself
again the majority of staff have been fabulous and friendly

my daughter loves it and is blossoming and is doing well at a good state school and there are alot of them about
within a few months of my dog being here he got tick paralysis and then a few months later we had to have him put to sleep very traumatic and again in hindsight should have left him with my ex neighbours
I love the weather I have a nice house in a lovely area my social life is alot slower, the birds are great not seen too many other wildlife apart in the zoos
I know i wont be here for ever, its not that i miss the Uk as such ( I have lived and travelled to lots of places and lived in lots of areas in the uk) so its not home sickness there is something missing for me, maybe in another year and hopefully it will be better than this one I may be thinking differantly as who knows whats going to happen around the corner, I should of at 18 backpacked around oz I may have seen more and got coming here out of my system
please remember this is how i feel and does not apply to everyone here
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:06 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year later

hiya jac
nice to hear from you after a long absence!!!!!
combined with annie's post, i think a lot of us nurses are now gritting our teeth to prepare for a very backward new work life!!! - great warnings - it can only be a nice surprise if we all get somewhere nice to work!!!

where abouts in aus are you?

sue x
ps glad to hear daughter is settling - always a worry for parents!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jacs will become famous soon enoughJacs will become famous soon enough

Hi
long time no see
I do come and visit occasionally but because work has been not good I didnt want to come on and be so negative,
my friend has been here 12 weeks and she is doing great but the area she has got into was the direction she was going in the uk (another practice nurse) so she isnt worried about the same things as me. I worked long and hard to get where i was and deskilling (although I have learnt new skills) and being frustrated is a worry to me
My hubby is in UK at the mo and he said the traffic was terrible the sky is a bluey grey and money dosnt go far and I now think he will enjoy over here more
We are in Brisbane north side a lovely suburb
Seeing my daughter here is lovely and she has made lots of fantastic friends, in the time we have been here she had one month where she wanted to go back to uk as there was some bullying going on (my friend had the same prob with her son) but that soon stopped I dont think the kids knew how to react to her humour and mentality!!!!! mad child

I have lost track with people on here I thought you were already here I am losing it i think I need help!!!!

Jackie
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Hi all,
hey Jacs, thanks for your honesty mate! I'm sorry that you feel the way you do, and have had some negative experiences. I guess in some ways, you are right, they are a bit behind. On a brighter note though, I have found the working conditions much better than in the UK. There are more staff here (or at least there are in paeds where I work), but again they are a bit behind in that they don't have "children's trained" nurses like myself, and I'm a bit frustrated at times that they don't recognise my wealth of knowledge and experience.
Having said all this, the lifestyle makes up for all this doesn't it? When the sun shines here in Brisbane all year round, it really is wonderful.
Anyway, great to hear from you.
Claire. x
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Hi all,
hey Jacs, thanks for your honesty mate! I'm sorry that you feel the way you do, and have had some negative experiences. I guess in some ways, you are right, they are a bit behind. On a brighter note though, I have found the working conditions much better than in the UK. There are more staff here (or at least there are in paeds where I work), but again they are a bit behind in that they don't have "children's trained" nurses like myself, and I'm a bit frustrated at times that they don't recognise my wealth of knowledge and experience.
Having said all this, the lifestyle makes up for all this doesn't it? When the sun shines here in Brisbane all year round, it really is wonderful.
Anyway, great to hear from you.
Claire. x

Thought I'd just add that from a parents point of view I'm very happy with the care of kids so far too. My daughter has been very sick of late and we've spent weeks trailing to and from the hospital, and they've been brilliant. I can't fault the care. She needs to go into hospital for an overnight stay in a weeks time and this procedure would have been a three month wait in the UK, and we have only had to wait 3 weeks.