Nursing Degree/ Diploma

Old Jan 19th 2008, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Nursing Degree/ Diploma

Hi, All. I've been a registered nurse for 17 years in acute medicine but do not have a degree or diploma. Will this hinder my chances of getting a job in the Brisbane area?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice
Default Re: Nursing Degree/ Diploma

Originally Posted by dandan1
Hi, All. I've been a registered nurse for 17 years in acute medicine but do not have a degree or diploma. Will this hinder my chances of getting a job in the Brisbane area?
Hi Dandan,
From what other nurses on this site have said it won't hinder your chance - somebody else on BR will probably give you more advise about this matter but I've just read another of your threads and I'm now confused

You said on another thread that you need to do IELTS - if you have 17 years experience why do you need to do that - you, as you probably know get 15 points just for having a UK passport.

How many points do you have? Depending on your age you must have at least 115 points out of the 120 needed - is it that you are aged between 40 and 45 - this is the only way I can imagine you don't quite have enough points without doing the IELTS. I am 43 myself, with less than 3 years experience so I don't get the 10 points that you get for having 3 years out of the previous 4 years experience , so when I totalled my points up it originally came to 105, so I had to do the IELTS and I now have 115. Now it is possible to get an extra 5 points for having a job offer in Australia so that is enough to gain the 120 points needed. In theory the IELTS is an easy 10 points for native English speakers, and I did pass it but I found it to be stressful so personally I don't recommend it to anyone - that is of course unless they are either very confident that they'd pass or they are desperate for the points.

Mark
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

the harrys is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dandan1
OH and I are both nurses, qualified 14 and 12 years, we are going with him as the main visa applicant, and he doesn't have a diploma, did the traditional RMN training. Going on a sponsored visa though, no prob getting a job in WA. Imagine it will be similar in other parts of Oz, we're in demand!
Best of luck,
Helen and Danny (+kids)
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:26 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

They will welcome your experience. You don't need a degree or diploma.

jackie
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about

Thankyou all for that. And yes, CheshireMark, you've hit that nail on the head, I'm 42!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:07 pm
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice

Thankyou all for that. And yes, CheshireMark, you've hit that nail on the head, I'm 42!
Great age to be dandan1

I just think of it as 21 x 2, or 21 real years of life experience.

There are plenty of us experienced bods heading out there, send the area you are interested in a copy of your CV, in fact send copies everywhere and watch them fight over your real life experience.

Good luck with it, I'll watch for your post to say you have been offered an interview/job.

Paul
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for those words of encouragement, Paul, if you read this. And don't worry, the day I'm offered a job in Queensland the whole world's gonna hear about it!!!!!