Is a nurse's salary enough for family of 4 on Gold Coast?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

strewth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a nurse's salary enough for family of 4 on Gold Coast?

Hi,
we are a family of four. Our kids are 1 and 3. We're contemplating a move from Dublin, Ireland to the Gold Coast, Qld. My hubby's from Brisbane so we have somewhere to stay until we get set up and also plenty of family support when we get there.
Here in Dublin, we both work full time in jobs that we really enjoy. Shiftwork allows us to work opposite eachother so we don't have to pay for childcare. The downside of that is that we don't get a lot of time all together as a family, maybe a couple of days a fortnight. When we go out to Australia we would *hope* for me not to work and stay at home with the kids until they start school. (My husband is a nurse with 15 yrs experience and my background is in IT.)
Can anyone out there give me an honest opinion....are we crazy to leave two secure jobs here in Ireland and pursue our dream or will we be struggling in Australia on one wage? Are there any Irish people out there who have done the same?
We have a decent amount of savings but would rather keep them for a deposit on a house than use them to subsidise our day to day budget.
We're not extravagent by any stretch but we want a comfortable life for our kids.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
thanks,
S