NSW mental Health system questions

Old Nov 1st 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice
Default NSW mental Health system questions

Hi

So far I have tried in vain to get more info on mental health nursing jobs /
good hospitals to work for etc.
Read plenty of negative stuff about Queensland mental health and some good things about WA mental health though.

Is there nobody working in and around Sydney who can put my worried mind at ease? What should I -generally speaking- expect in terms of status/ patient/nurse /doctor relationships/ autonomy? salary etc....

Anyone ??
ANYONE???
Anyone at all out there?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:49 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NSW mental Health system questions

Hi Ozbaz,

I don't know how much help I'm going to be, but thought I'd try as you'd not received any replies yet.

I am Aus trained, just finishing my degree. I've got a job lined up in Mental Health in rural NSW. I've only been to NSW rural facilities, so not been to any of the facilities around Sydney so cant comment on them - you might want to check out http://www.cs.nsw.gov.au/MHealth/

Justice Health NSW is just opening a new forensic hospital in Sydney and is looking for staff. People I know that have worked for Justice Health rate it highly. http://www.justicehealth.nsw.gov.au/...vacancies.html

Award wages for NSW Health can be found at http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/nursing...e_rates_08.asp

Hopefully someone else will be along soon to enlighten you a bit more about the good, bad and ugly.

Cheers, S
Old Nov 5th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Hi

So far I have tried in vain to get more info on mental health nursing jobs /
good hospitals to work for etc.
Read plenty of negative stuff about Queensland mental health and some good things about WA mental health though.

Is there nobody working in and around Sydney who can put my worried mind at ease? What should I -generally speaking- expect in terms of status/ patient/nurse /doctor relationships/ autonomy? salary etc....

Anyone ??
ANYONE???
Anyone at all out there?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP
hey !!
Am in Sydney.How many years experince do you have and what kind of work do you do ? What kind of work are you going to be looking for ??Exactly what do you want to ask ??So many answers, just need to know the questions.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tass
hey !!
Am in Sydney.How many years experince do you have and what kind of work do you do ? What kind of work are you going to be looking for ??Exactly what do you want to ask ??So many answers, just need to know the questions.
All the best,
Tass.

Hi

I have worked around 8 yrs as ( psychiatric) staff nurse for same employer in intensive care as well as admissions clinic and now in a long stay residential care unit. In the long run I'd prefer being in the community/ residential care but we'll see ...
Someone recommended North Richmond St John of God and Hornsby Hospital to me, which location-wise are both great , but in the end I'll be glad just to get my foot in the Aussie work door.
I am quite happy to not work in a stressful environment , plus my wife wouldn't let me work in a place where you have to literally watch your back all the time ( she still loves me after all these years, aaahhh)

Obviously I'd love to have a job lined up before our not-so-imminent arrival, so if you can give me any pointers /advice I''' greatly appreciate it! The whole emigration thing is stressful enough. so having a job to walk into would
make it a little less so !

Thanks

Ozbaz
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Hi

I have worked around 8 yrs as ( psychiatric) staff nurse for same employer in intensive care as well as admissions clinic and now in a long stay residential care unit. In the long run I'd prefer being in the community/ residential care but we'll see ...
Someone recommended North Richmond St John of God and Hornsby Hospital to me, which location-wise are both great , but in the end I'll be glad just to get my foot in the Aussie work door.
I am quite happy to not work in a stressful environment , plus my wife wouldn't let me work in a place where you have to literally watch your back all the time ( she still loves me after all these years, aaahhh)

Obviously I'd love to have a job lined up before our not-so-imminent arrival, so if you can give me any pointers /advice I''' greatly appreciate it! The whole emigration thing is stressful enough. so having a job to walk into would
make it a little less so !

Thanks

Ozbaz

Sorry ,have taken so long to reply. Was assaulted on duty and cannot use my dominant hand. Joys of emergency nursing !!
Major, major issues here with mental health patients , there is just soooo many !! I work in hospital with acute mental haelth care attatched . I know in next few motnhs governmant are recruiting lots of drug and alcohol resouce nurses to try and deal with the problem. As for tha chronic side, sorry, no help there. All jobs are advertised on the NSW health site someonae has posted before , keep yur eye on that. Don't know how re-assuring this is, but you WILL DEFINATELY get work once your here. Jobs are not a problem , it's finding one you can put up with !!
Can't tell you about those hospitals either, wrong side of the city for me.
Not much help , huh ??
All the best,
Tass.

Please excuse all typos, it took me nearly an hour to tpe this with one finger on my left hand !!