not sure about transfer of qualifications

Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not sure about transfer of qualifications

To add: graduate places are limited by funding and numbers of supervisors hence the need for additional nurses from overseas who do not need the extra training and supervision.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

GilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura about

Thank you again. A whole new world, literally.

I am glad I have done my 'graduate' program, a 'few' years ago.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GilraenH
Thank you again. A whole new world, literally.

I am glad I have done my 'graduate' program, a 'few' years ago.
Another feature here is that a huge number of nurses are casuals who may work at several different hospitals over the course of a week. Many casuals have a full time job in one hospital and then also do several shifts elsewhere.

Some areas (unpopular ones) are sometimes staffed entirely by casual staff.

Nurse on temporary visas, who are tied to certain employers, often find themselves put on to these areas. It is always best to have an independent visa then you can work where you choose.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

GilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura about

Thank you!

That reminds me of London in the late 80s. No European Working Time Directive then to stop you working as many shifts as you could with every nurse barr one an agency nurse. Hellish to work with a different person every shift.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Plenty of agency nurses here in the cities as well.

It is a mystery to me how we can produce so many graduates and then still rely on agencies and casuals
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

That doesn't happen as much here any more with the clamp down on spending big time!! Year on year cuts to budgets that are breathtaking.

There are bank nurses but they get a mid range band 5 regardless of exp and no agency overheads added in.

I don't think anyone escapes the down turn, it just affects different places differently. The media still make a living making out it's all doom and gloom, even if it is
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Agencies and casuals are easier to lay off so it suits management to employ people that way.

There are also many problems here.....services can be cut overnight for financial or other reasons.

Read about the Queensland health pay saga....many nurses and others did not get paid for months and many were overpaid and are facing legal action to recover the money. It is now an unholy mess which will take years to sort out.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds nasty, will look it up.