Night Duty In Australia

Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ronnie and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Night Duty In Australia

Yes its that dreaded work NIGHT DUTY Do any of you know if you got a job in a hospital would night duty be optional or is it like in the Uk where most jobs are based on internal rotation. I am thinking of casualty. Debbie
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Night Duty In Australia

Obviously depends where you work, but I think most hospitals have the internal rotation. Some roster days and nights in the same week.
I work in a private hospital and we have some staff on our ward who want permanent nights, which is great, but when they are on leave, or if they left, permanent staff would all have to do some rotation.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ronnie and Deb
Yes its that dreaded work NIGHT DUTY Do any of you know if you got a job in a hospital would night duty be optional or is it like in the Uk where most jobs are based on internal rotation. I am thinking of casualty. Debbie
I am in Perth and I do night duty as a matter of choice, they dont have rotation where I am.
I like the night duty as the penalty pay is good and i get more time off to enjoy our new life style. I work 6 nights per fortnight for more money than full time days, i can spread them out or work them together which gives me every other week off.
I know new starters who took night duty as a foot in the door approach as they don"t always have day vacancies.

Di
Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:11 am
Just Joined

adeleakid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i work at the prince charles hosp in Brisbane. Public hosp. Like you i absolutely hate night. I work in icu and unfortunately we have to do 50% days and nights over the fortnight. There are some day jobs without nights, in endoscopy and day surgery. I think the wards do internal rotation too.
One day i will give up nursing forever and all because of the night shifts.
Good luck

Adele
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

chin-chin will become famous soon enoughchin-chin will become famous soon enough

I've recently had a job offer in Melbourne and i was able to demand a permanent night shift as i love doing nights. I will be leaving UK as the hospital i'm working at cannot give me a permanent night shift. I don't know but things work out better for me and my family that way.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ronnie and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for you. Why can't they let people do either days or nights if that's what they prefer. It worked for people years ago and most nurses have families they have to work around. I know a lot of nurses are leaving the profession because they cannot work nights. What about single mothers, you can't get child care during the night. Anyway i will get off my soap box now and glad to hear your news good Luck
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:33 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

I have a job at the Mater Adult in Brisbane 60 hours per fortnight and each month i will have to do 30 hours of nights (3 per month). I love night shifts and would do them permanently, but unfortuantely my hubby hates me doing them.

Jackie x
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:59 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather start on night shifts so that I could be eased into the new ways of doing things whilst it is a bit quieter