Newly Qualified Nurse Off To Sydney

Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Newly Qualified Nurse Off To Sydney

Hello, totally newbie here and a little scared of moving to Manly in about 10 weeks!!!!!!! I qualified in February 2004 and am moving out with my partner and will be on his business visa defacto which kind of leaves me free to go to any job (so to speak!) I just have a few questions if anyone is able to give me any help whatsoever, I would be truly grateful! x

1. I have applied for a job at a Hospital as a Theatre Nurse and have spoken casually with the Manager who keeps telling me that she wants me to start late January, and that I am exactly what they are looking for...Does this sound positive or am I having my leg pulled?

2. I haven't had a formal job interview over the telephone and wondered what to expect if I get one, from either this hospital or the others that I have written to?

3. I am really nervous about meeting new friends and would love to know if there are any clubs around the Manly area that I could join to meet a few people

4. Does anyone know of any theatre associations within Australia that I could join, I am with the NATN but wanted to join one in oz that had oz hospitals in mind

5. How does oz theatres compare to UK ones?

*thank you soooooooooo much* even for reading and hope to hear back from anyone soon....

*hugs*
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly Qualified Nurse Off To Sydney

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Hello, totally newbie here and a little scared of moving to Manly in about 10 weeks!!!!!!! I qualified in February 2004 and am moving out with my partner and will be on his business visa defacto which kind of leaves me free to go to any job (so to speak!) I just have a few questions if anyone is able to give me any help whatsoever, I would be truly grateful! x

1. I have applied for a job at a Hospital as a Theatre Nurse and have spoken casually with the Manager who keeps telling me that she wants me to start late January, and that I am exactly what they are looking for...Does this sound positive or am I having my leg pulled?

2. I haven't had a formal job interview over the telephone and wondered what to expect if I get one, from either this hospital or the others that I have written to?

3. I am really nervous about meeting new friends and would love to know if there are any clubs around the Manly area that I could join to meet a few people

4. Does anyone know of any theatre associations within Australia that I could join, I am with the NATN but wanted to join one in oz that had oz hospitals in mind

*thank you soooooooooo much* even for reading and hope to hear back from anyone soon....

*hugs*
Hi there,

cant help with all your queries, but I did have my job interview over the phone two weeks ago.
They rang at 6am, normal time is about 7am but my kids are up then so wanted peace and quiet. Nice introduction etc and general chit chat, they asked if i had any questions first and then asked me questions relating to the selection criteria i had filled in on my application form.
good tip is to make sure you print off what youve filled in and sent back, that way you know 'roughly' what youre talking about.
They told me they would let me know in a few days and sure enough they emailed the job offer 2 days later.
I asked lots of questions too which related to my work in SCBU but also about the area and hospital etc, one of the women was scottish so that was an area of conversation too as my father inlaw is a scot.
It is weird as you cant see their facial expressions etc and they put you on speaker system so they can all hear you and ask you questions, but over all it was nice really, and I was able to have my cuppa in front of me, look a complete mess and not worry!

all the best

Trish
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

*hugs*
Hi hedge hog girl,
I have also recently moved to Sydney, living not far from Manly. I am a recovery nurse with 3 years experience and i am currently working on a casual basis, although only started last week. As I have mentioned in a previous post there seems to be plenty of theatre work out there, what area are you hoping to go into?
The work seems very similar to uk theatres, do you have any experience in theatres at all?
I have exactly the same worries as you, feeling nervous about making friends etc, although I have been here a year before backpacking, things are very different this time around. My husband and I are also looking into clubs to boost our social life, eg we start a climbing course at the local climbing centre on monday, hopefully meeting people there. Also we went dragon boating a couple of weekends ago with Manly dragon boat club, hard work, but looks like a good way to meet people, often arrange social nights out, drinking on a Friday night after training . unfortunately we have had to ditch that idea as my husband works saturday night into the early hours, and training is sunday morning at 8. Hopefully work will be a bit of a social as well, if its anything like the last place I worked!
As for a job interview, there wasn't really one, just an informal chat, but I am only on a casual contract, as I wanted the freedom to take time off when ever I wanted
I hope this helps, if you need anymore info feel free to PM me!
goodluck
Fiona
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

*hugs*
Hi here

I live just north of Manly (about 5 mins) in a place called Curl Curl. Been here 4 months and working at the Royal North Shore on the casual pool. Work in paeds so dont really know much about theatres. Havent worked in theatre since the late 80s during my general training You will love Manly, the trip to the city on the ferry is brilliant and there is a lot going on in Manly itself. Not that I get out much with two kids, but life is good here even if I am doing nothing.. ha ha

As for your 'formal' interview over the phone, dont expect it to be formal at all. In fact they tend to be very informal from my experience. And dont worry about making friends, you will meet a lot of people in the same situation as yourself.. there are very many expat nurses living here !!

Come along to the expats meetings which are held regularly.. they are fantastic and you will meet some cracking people who have a lot in common with you after all...

When they say that you are what they are looking for.. believe them !! Honestly they wouldnt say it if they didnt mean it. I have been made so welcome and I am only casual.. the nurses I work with are always very grateful that I have gone in to help and dont hesitate to say so... it is very refreshing

Good luck and hope to see you soon...
Old Oct 29th 2004, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by rumbletum
Hi here

I live just north of Manly (about 5 mins) in a place called Curl Curl. Been here 4 months and working at the Royal North Shore on the casual pool. Work in paeds so dont really know much about theatres. Havent worked in theatre since the late 80s during my general training You will love Manly, the trip to the city on the ferry is brilliant and there is a lot going on in Manly itself. Not that I get out much with two kids, but life is good here even if I am doing nothing.. ha ha

As for your 'formal' interview over the phone, dont expect it to be formal at all. In fact they tend to be very informal from my experience. And dont worry about making friends, you will meet a lot of people in the same situation as yourself.. there are very many expat nurses living here !!

Come along to the expats meetings which are held regularly.. they are fantastic and you will meet some cracking people who have a lot in common with you after all...

When they say that you are what they are looking for.. believe them !! Honestly they wouldnt say it if they didnt mean it. I have been made so welcome and I am only casual.. the nurses I work with are always very grateful that I have gone in to help and dont hesitate to say so... it is very refreshing

Good luck and hope to see you soon...
Cheers for that, I almost feel excited!