Newly qualified midwife moving to Sydney Australia

Old Feb 27th 2017, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

RachLW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly qualified midwife moving to Sydney Australia

Hello,

I am currently is my second year of a direct entry midwifery degree in the UK. Me and my partner are looking to move to Sydney within the next couple of years once qualified. I plan to get a year of experience here once I have qualified before we move out there.

I know that there are a lot of similar posts on this site, but many that I have come across appear to quite dated now.

Does anybody know how easy it will be to secure a job as a newly qualified midwife in Sydney? Are there any requirements that I should start looking at over the next couple of years before I move? I have read that many places like you to have done caseloading.. does anybody know more detail about this?

Finally.. does anybody know whether it is difficult to get a job as a direct entry midwife without the nursing qualification?

I really appreciate help or advice given on this!

xxx
Old Mar 1st 2017, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

enlightened85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newly qualified midwife moving to Sydney Australia

Im a newly qualified midwife been working now for 4 months and I'm looking at doing exactly this moving to near sydney. I'm hoping to go once I have done my 1 year preceptorship x
Old Apr 26th 2017, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

9ftSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am just about to leave for sydney with my Australian Midwifery registration. Yes they require 10 continuity of care experiences during your training, documented on their record sheets available on their website AHPRA. I submitted cases but not fitting their requirements and I have been given registration with 3 months supervision to be signed off before working for an agency. I also have a notation which doesnt allow me to work in Midwifery Group Practice. This is a problem as I am a caseload midwife! I now must submit the cases I have worked on to remove the notation and complete the supervision. This is all managable if I can secure a position with supervision, and must commit to 6 months. I went through a recruitment service and they seem to think Randwick can offer supervision. I leave at the end of May and dont have a secure position as yet. Lots and lots of research though! It seems if you apply on e recruit some hospitals may offer the supervision. The process of registration was tiring, loads of documents from Uni etc.
Good luck and I will post when I actually get a job!
Old Aug 1st 2017, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by enlightened85
Im a newly qualified midwife been working now for 4 months and I'm looking at doing exactly this moving to near sydney. I'm hoping to go once I have done my 1 year preceptorship x
Hello! Sorry about mt slow reply! How is this going for you? You getting anywhere with the application process? X
Old Aug 1st 2017, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 9ftSquirrel
Hi,
I am just about to leave for sydney with my Australian Midwifery registration. Yes they require 10 continuity of care experiences during your training, documented on their record sheets available on their website AHPRA. I submitted cases but not fitting their requirements and I have been given registration with 3 months supervision to be signed off before working for an agency. I also have a notation which doesnt allow me to work in Midwifery Group Practice. This is a problem as I am a caseload midwife! I now must submit the cases I have worked on to remove the notation and complete the supervision. This is all managable if I can secure a position with supervision, and must commit to 6 months. I went through a recruitment service and they seem to think Randwick can offer supervision. I leave at the end of May and dont have a secure position as yet. Lots and lots of research though! It seems if you apply on e recruit some hospitals may offer the supervision. The process of registration was tiring, loads of documents from Uni etc.
Thank you for your reply 9ftSquirrel !! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I have been very busy with studies but finally getting back to starting to organise all this!!! How is everything going for you!? X
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

wonderingaloud is on a distinguished road

Hi there

My understanding of registration with APHRA is that it’s not as straightforward as it used to be. Previously APHRA recognised that UK midwives were trained to a standard comparable with that of Australia. However, now they say that because of the continuity of care modules Australian students have to complete, the UK midwifery training no longer aligns.
This essentially means that whilst you can work in Australia as a midwife, you will have x month supervision period before you are granted registration, however even then, you cannot work in a case loading model (I don’t think). The real issue is finding an employer happy to take you on and provide the months of supervision, and documented supporting evidence required by APHRA. It’s a fair bit of work, I have seen it!
I’m not entirely sure why this came about as even if you complete the supervision period you still can’t work in a case loading model (unless his has changed) because it’s not experience that counts, more what your training didn’t include. So what the supervision period is for/is trying to prove I am unsure of.
The irony is my local group practice model is 90% British trained midwives.

With regards to the nursing question, I have found it difficult (not initially, but certainly in the last year or so) not being dual qualified. Acuity of birthing women is increasing, we are getting more and more women with central lines which I knew nothing about having not been a nurse. Having said that, a lot of midwives who are also nurses I know haven’t seen a central line in years so it’s not just the direct entry ones affected.
As I am not in Sydney I am not sure what the go is with employing direct entry midwives as a pose to dual trained, but I would imagine dual are preferred based on my above observation which I don’t think is isolated to where I work.
Not meaning to sound like a negative old bat, remember things change. I was involved (a bit) in the supervision when it first started but it may be a much smoother process now. Also midwives are in demand, you’d think they’d make it less convoluted to attract British midwives into the worksforce, but like I say I’m not up to speed with the current requirements.
All the very best with your plans, I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Last edited by wonderingaloud; Nov 27th 2017 at 3:50 am. Reason: Hadn’t finished
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

CLABM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 9ftSquirrel
Hi,
Hi 9ftsquirrel, I am currently applying for AHPRA registration and anticipate that they will grant registration but with the same restrictions as yourself. Would you be able to give me some insight into how employers responded to reg with need for supervised practice, how long supervise practice lasted and whether the notation is easily lifted from your registration following supervision? Any information would be appreciated!! Thanks x