Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

new to site--UK RN in Mental Health seeks advice about work in USA?

new to site--UK RN in Mental Health seeks advice about work in USA?

Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

fluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nice
Unhappy new to site--UK RN in Mental Health seeks advice about work in USA?

Hi all,
New to this forum and am keen for information on what is proving to be a complete minefield of mixed messages for me! I am an RN in Mental Health in the UK and aim to work in/around the Portland,Oregon area?

I have so many varied Q's but will limit first post to just a few! I understand that in the USA a Registered Nurse qualification is needed to practice in psychiatry (or mental health as known in UK), and as you know there is a distinct boundary for this in UK. I understand that a number of areas of practice have to be fulfilled such as paediatrics etc to fulfill the RN requirement in the States.

As I did an RN in psychiatirc care is this recognised at all? Or do i need to be a general RN to work in psyc wards?? I see lots of info on Oregon State Board of Nursing webpage, and have looked at the NCLEX exam (which i do not think i would pass due to limited knowledge of general nursing skills) and also the CGFNS exam for foreign nurses?

I have a Bachelors Degree in Psychology also which goes some way to getting employment in USA. It is really how I go about finding out about being a mental health nurse specicfically as i couldn't bear the thought of 3 more years general nurse training here in UK (money etc).

In my brief research the visa process for workers in the US apears to be that you have to get sponsorship and a job offer. By distance and via teh medium of e-mail, telephone etc applications this seems like a nightmare on first glance! I have looked at nursing employment agencies in UK who find you work but this costs a fortune and i am quite capable of finding out information myself about it.

This issue of psychiatry VS general nursing is one that i need answering??
IF THERE ARE ANY UK MENTAL HEALTH NURSES WORKIGN IN USA PLEASE DO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ME !!!! Gratefully received!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to site--UK RN in Mental Health seeks advice about work in USA?

hi, I saw your thread in the site feedback area & found you here. I'm in Portland, for what it's worth. Can I suggest that you also read and post in the USA forum (see the drop down menu in the bottom right corner of the page?) as there are several nurses posting there who are already here and may not look in this forum.
Did I see you mention that you have another interest in the US?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

fluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nice

hey thanks for your advice! I have posted that message in the general USA immigration part of this site. It is a minefield of info and it is pleasing to see that so many people are helpful o nhere. You are correct in that I also have other interests as well as work in the US. My young lady is coming to visit me in UK in about a week, but it is early days and no need to rush anything. i am very keen to pursue some work opps in the US also!!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fluxsta
Hi all,
New to this forum and am keen for information on what is proving to be a complete minefield of mixed messages for me! I am an RN in Mental Health in the UK and aim to work in/around the Portland,Oregon area?

I have so many varied Q's but will limit first post to just a few! I understand that in the USA a Registered Nurse qualification is needed to practice in psychiatry (or mental health as known in UK), and as you know there is a distinct boundary for this in UK. I understand that a number of areas of practice have to be fulfilled such as paediatrics etc to fulfill the RN requirement in the States.

As I did an RN in psychiatirc care is this recognised at all? Or do i need to be a general RN to work in psyc wards?? I see lots of info on Oregon State Board of Nursing webpage, and have looked at the NCLEX exam (which i do not think i would pass due to limited knowledge of general nursing skills) and also the CGFNS exam for foreign nurses?

I have a Bachelors Degree in Psychology also which goes some way to getting employment in USA. It is really how I go about finding out about being a mental health nurse specicfically as i couldn't bear the thought of 3 more years general nurse training here in UK (money etc).

In my brief research the visa process for workers in the US apears to be that you have to get sponsorship and a job offer. By distance and via teh medium of e-mail, telephone etc applications this seems like a nightmare on first glance! I have looked at nursing employment agencies in UK who find you work but this costs a fortune and i am quite capable of finding out information myself about it.

This issue of psychiatry VS general nursing is one that i need answering??
IF THERE ARE ANY UK MENTAL HEALTH NURSES WORKIGN IN USA PLEASE DO SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ME !!!! Gratefully received!!
Only think you can do is go through the BON and see what their requirements are and if you need to make any hours up then they will tell you what. May need to deal with CGFNS and that is very frustrating. Good luck but will be a very long process
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

thanking you for your reply, it seems that I have to contact the BON? (Board of Nursing i presume?) do you mean the Board of Nursing of the state that i am planning to work?? i am interested as to why CGFNS are frustrating? i know it may depend on whether the Oregon State Board of Nursing requires both NCLEX and CFFNS....but I am concerned that CGFNS may be a nightmare!!? so feedback/personal experience welcomed!!

I am pretty sure that i require modules/practice hours in maternity/peds/obst......not sure how this would work in the US and whether you can do just separate modules that you require? i don't really want to do another 3 year programme!
look forward to your comments, thansk again for being helpful