British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/my-experience-so-far-applying-ahpra-829340/)

genorm Jul 12th 2014 11:44 pm

Re: My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Originally Posted by jillyrj (Post 11334935)
Hanny - when I got past the "documents received" email, I received one directly from a person at AHPRA - that was my first case officer - I didn't know it was just thought it was a name on the end of an email.
The first one was dealing with initial application then, once I went through the first stage I got a second worker (I think managing education standards) and then she left so I have a 3rd and as yet no communication from them.
Jill x

@jillyrj - A "Case Officer" is provided to advise YOU on your case. Yeir caseload is irrelevant! Again, I'd approach @AHPRA on Twitter and ask them why your CO is too busy to speak with you!

picto1 Jul 13th 2014 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Kim Irvine (Post 11334931)
Hi everyone, just joined the forum as it was mentioned on Pomsinoz re information and support in relation to AHPRA. Apologies for my 1st post being so negative!
I'm a Diploma trained Mental Health Nurse with 14 years experience. My family and I moved to Melbourne in March on a state sponsored 190 visa (due to my job being on the SOL....oh the irony) and as with other applicants ANMAC assessed my Diploma as comparable to an Australian Bachelor Degree. My AHPRA application was received in the Melbourne office (step 1) on the 21st Oct and was transferred to Sydney in March. It remains in the assessment process (step 2) re 'criteria 4' to see if comparable to an Australian Degree = registration, or transfer to being dealt with by 'the board' (step 3). The inevitable is that I won't get registration as I have yet to hear of any Diploma trained nurses being registered under the new guidelines, which I wasn't made aware of until at least 2 months post application and them taking my money!!
I am bombarding anyone and everyone with my concerns re not being able to work and amongst other things how I'm a drain on the benefit system as a consequence eg. extra family assistance, rent assistance etc Only for my hubby getting a reasonable job we have been able to keep our heads above water, so I'm thankful for that.
If anyone wants to ask me any questions or if I need to put my name to anything fire away!!!
Kim

I feel for you Kim. It really doesn't make any sense does it....

Kim Irvine Jul 13th 2014 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by genorm (Post 11335023)
Hi Kim, just to confirm, are you saying that it took AHPRA 6 months to transfer your application from one office to another? That is absolutely disgraceful.

I can only suggest that, if you are already in Oz on an ANMAC positive assessment, and you have subsequently been refused registration, then you should be approaching both your state and federal Immigration Ministers.

However, you should perhaps first speak with an Australian Registered Migration Agent. You will find @Alan Collett on this forum, perhaps Pollyanna can put you in touch.

As for Case Officers, if you are not allocated one straight away, I suggest you approach @AHPRA on Twitter and demand to be provided with one immediately.

Hi genorm,
Yes, my application was received on the 21st Oct and the 1st correspondence that I had re it being sent to NSW was on the 7th April. This was due to(amongst other things) my C.O saying she had received certain paperwork that had been sent and then saying could I send it as she didn't have it = me having to re-send it??!!
My Sydney C.O identified herself straight away as extra paperwork was required and to be fair she has been excellent in her correspondences to me so far which is why I know exactly where my application sits.
If, sorry no, when I'm refused registration I will certainly not be going down without a fight. So far I've e-mailed many different people that in my opinion would be very interested re what's going on and they are forwarding my e-mail on etc etc thus = maximum exposure! AHPRA's credibility has been called into question before so people are happy to jump on the band wagon!
When you look at all the 'communique' on AHPRA's website the 1st reference I can see re the new changes is on the 12/2/14. They had a joint communique with ANMAC on the 3/4/14 and nothing re registration was addressed that I can see?? On the 9/7/14 the National Board was seeking experienced parties to explore the requirements to assessing internationally qualified nurses and midwives.....a complete joke....erm cart before the horse??!
Another interesting one was (and I'm sure you've saw all these) was the National Board moving the Diploma of Nursing course at the Victorian branch of the Australian and Midwifery federation into 'inactive' on the nursing list of approved programmes for new enrolments....I had to look twice as a) the date documented is 1/1/15 and b) to make sure it was RN's and not EN's..
I am going mad these days so if someone could check all of the aforementioned is accurate I would be very grateful lol

Kim Irvine Jul 13th 2014 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by jillyrj (Post 11334936)
Kim: what a total nightmare!! I have no words and cannot imagine what you're going through.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
X

Thanks and will do x

aussienurse Jul 13th 2014 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kim Irvine (Post 11335545)
Hi genorm,
Yes, my application was received on the 21st Oct and the 1st correspondence that I had re it being sent to NSW was on the 7th April. This was due to(amongst other things) my C.O saying she had received certain paperwork that had been sent and then saying could I send it as she didn't have it = me having to re-send it??!!
My Sydney C.O identified herself straight away as extra paperwork was required and to be fair she has been excellent in her correspondences to me so far which is why I know exactly where my application sits.
If, sorry no, when I'm refused registration I will certainly not be going down without a fight. So far I've e-mailed many different people that in my opinion would be very interested re what's going on and they are forwarding my e-mail on etc etc thus = maximum exposure! AHPRA's credibility has been called into question before so people are happy to jump on the band wagon!
When you look at all the 'communique' on AHPRA's website the 1st reference I can see re the new changes is on the 12/2/14. They had a joint communique with ANMAC on the 3/4/14 and nothing re registration was addressed that I can see?? On the 9/7/14 the National Board was seeking experienced parties to explore the requirements to assessing internationally qualified nurses and midwives.....a complete joke....erm cart before the horse??!
Another interesting one was (and I'm sure you've saw all these) was the National Board moving the Diploma of Nursing course at the Victorian branch of the Australian and Midwifery federation into 'inactive' on the nursing list of approved programmes for new enrolments....I had to look twice as a) the date documented is 1/1/15 and b) to make sure it was RN's and not EN's..
I am going mad these days so if someone could check all of the aforementioned is accurate I would be very grateful lol

The ANF Victoria branch, only educate Enrolled Nurses in a Diploma course. As RN degrees are to administered by Institutions of tertiary calibre (University) It becomes inactive whenever there are changes made and a new curriculum begun, the last Diploma courses for Registered nurses was run by Victoria College (Deakin University in 1993).

All Diploma courses were 3 years long and all nurses had to ugrade to Bachelor if they wanted any promotions in the future, same pay though and most did. This was when there was still state nursing boards and the last diploma was under the Nurses board of Victoria. It has been Bachelor degree in AHPRAs lifetime. Ahpra are not quickly trying to sidekick an RN Diploma curriculum to the inactive to dodge any controversy.

AHPRA also on the 10th October last year took down the criteria for overseas nurses and put up notice that it no longer applied and that new criteria was being discussed for overseas nurses. It was not until February that they put up the new criteria.
(I was helping some nurse applicants from the Phillipines, hence saw all this happen)

genorm Jul 13th 2014 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by aussienurse (Post 11335610)
The ANF Victoria branch, only educate Enrolled Nurses in a Diploma course. As RN degrees are to administered by Institutions of tertiary calibre (University) It becomes inactive whenever there are changes made and a new curriculum begun, the last Diploma courses for Registered nurses was run by Victoria College (Deakin University in 1993).

All Diploma courses were 3 years long and all nurses had to ugrade to Bachelor if they wanted any promotions in the future, same pay though and most did. This was when there was still state nursing boards and the last diploma was under the Nurses board of Victoria. It has been Bachelor degree in AHPRAs lifetime. Ahpra are not quickly trying to sidekick an RN Diploma curriculum to the inactive to dodge any controversy.

AHPRA also on the 10th October last year took down the criteria for overseas nurses and put up notice that it no longer applied and that new criteria was being discussed for overseas nurses. It was not until February that they put up the new criteria.
(I was helping some nurse applicants from the Phillipines, hence saw all this happen)

I don't think anybody is questionning the criteria, just the educational/qualification stipulations on which it is based. The Australian Diploma is no where near as intense as the UK Dip HE, and therefore, a comparison between the two cannot be made.

I have a direct communication from AHPRA regarding UK DIP qualified, currently registered nurses in Australia, that I will open for discussion in another thread.

Regarding your last sentance, are you able to comment on the number of O/S nurses who have shelled out $10k, completed the IRON Bridging Programme, obtained AHPRA registration, but are still unable to secure a position as a Registered Nurse?

aussienurse Jul 13th 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by genorm (Post 11335626)
I don't think anybody is questionning the criteria, just the educational/qualification stipulations on which it is based. The Australian Diploma is no where near as intense as the UK Dip HE, and therefore, a comparison between the two cannot be made.

I have a direct communication from AHPRA regarding UK DIP qualified, currently registered nurses in Australia, that I will open for discussion in another thread.

Regarding your last sentance, are you able to comment on the number of O/S nurses who have shelled out $10k, completed the IRON Bridging Programme, obtained AHPRA registration, but are still unable to secure a position as a Registered Nurse?

The Diploma for EN is not the same as the Diploma was for RN's. It was in before AQF was in place. the Diploma for applied science in nursing was 3 years long as would be considered these days as an Associate degree it was short about 4 subjects than the degree, mostly research and cultural sensitivity subjects.

The EN diploma these days takes 18 months to complete and is nowhere near the same as the old RN Diploma of Applied science.

None of the nurses, I have contact with from the Phillipines have as yet got there LOE and have 4 year BSN, I do know many nurses from India and the Phillipines that have spent thousands with AHPRA, ANMAC in past plus 10-16,000 in bridging courses just to have Australian registration and the chance to get permanent resisdency, unless new graduates and then they do not qualify for PR.
They always until a few years ago, got work. In the past 2 years it has been extremely difficult for them to get 457 sponsorship visa and many have had to return home. Some took out big loans with consultants in the Phillipines with extremely high interest rates that are now in dire straights as they could not get work. Those that did find sponsorship are paying such high payments back to the loan sharks they can hardly live on whats left due to high cost of living here.

My sister is still waiting for any contact from APHRA and we have compared curriculums constantly, seems she did less theory and talks about modules taking a few hours a week unless an assignment was due, we did 24 subjects in our degree, 4 subjects a semester all taking 10-15 hours a week of study each subject and she did far more clinical hours. The UK diploma to me would seem to be about the same as the old 3 year, Diploma in Applied Science (Nursing) but with more clinical hours.

genorm Jul 13th 2014 7:55 pm

The EN diploma these days takes 18 months to complete and is nowhere near the same as the old RN Diploma of Applied science.

I think this is the pertinent point. I believe that AHPRA have compared an EN Diploma with the UK Dip HE.

On the latter point, even WITH AHPRA and WITH PR, they are still unable to gain a position. My estimate (from experience) is about 5% - and then only if they have Post Graduate (ie Post IRON) experience in NZ, UK, Ireland, Canada, Singapore, South Africa.

It's a real shame, because the people who are missing out are those patients in areas such as Alice Springs, Mount Isa, Tasmania, Orange, Dubbo, Geraldton, Derby, Townsville, etc. All the places where Dip HE WAS acceptable but now, not able to be considered.

aussienurse Jul 13th 2014 8:49 pm

I was under the impression that AHPRA were comparing the UK Diploma as level 6, which is Associate Degree or the old RN Diploma level. The Enrolled nurse diploma is assessed at Level 5. So they are not comparin with the EN diploma but the old diploma at level 6 just short of level 7.

Kim Irvine Jul 13th 2014 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by aussienurse (Post 11335610)

Lol, thanks for the clarity re the course, sometimes the AHPRA publications are quite subjective and difficult to understand!
I'm very well aware as and when AHPRA have updated their website, having had my registration received on the 21/10/14. They really should not have implemented any changes until the information was ON their website and then applicants could have made informed decisions. By the time I knew exactly what these changes were, to quote AHPRA my plans were 'irreversible' as with so many others.
I find it very sad and frustrating that I'm living in this great country on a 190 state sponsored visa (my qualification was good enough for immigration) with 14 years mental health experience, on benefits, and likely to be unable to work because my 3 years at University isn't good enough:(
Perhaps a miracle will happen or alternatively someone somewhere will see sense!

aussienurse Jul 13th 2014 9:05 pm

Hopefully things can be sorted.
Can you be on centrelink benefits when just a new arrival!!??? Hell yeah, is it reciprocal? love to visit the UK!! Well nice to see my $29,000 in tax going somewhere other than pollies wages.:)

Kim Irvine Jul 13th 2014 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by aussienurse (Post 11335725)
Can you be on centrelink benefits when just a new arrival!!??? Hell yeah

Arrived in March on a PR and 'Hell Yeah' I've 2 young kids to support.....

aussienurse Jul 13th 2014 9:36 pm

Me too got 2 still at home and receive $143 a fortnight centrelink for the 2 of them, do not know how you do it.

genorm Jul 14th 2014 5:23 am

Originally Posted by aussienurse (Post 11335725)
Hopefully things can be sorted.
Can you be on centrelink benefits when just a new arrival!!??? Hell yeah, is it reciprocal? love to visit the UK!! Well nice to see my $29,000 in tax going somewhere other than pollies wages.:)

As far as I know, you have to prove extreme hardship to be able to claim benefits in Australia within the first 2 years of arrival.

In the UK, it's a bit different because EU nationals get a better deal than those outside of the EU.

There is NO reciprocal agreement between Oz and the UK as regards social security. This was ended in 2001.

Did you get all your UK Tax back, perhaps you should seek advice from a Tax professional.

old.sparkles Jul 14th 2014 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by genorm (Post 11336150)
As far as I know, you have to prove extreme hardship to be able to claim benefits in Australia within the first 2 years of arrival.

In the UK, it's a bit different because EU nationals get a better deal than those outside of the EU.

There is NO reciprocal agreement between Oz and the UK as regards social security. This was ended in 2001.

Did you get all your UK Tax back, perhaps you should seek advice from a Tax professional.

Family tax is available for new arrivals with children, not sure of which others. Check the centrelink site - Migrants, refugees and visitors