Moving to melbourne!

Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Lausie is on a distinguished road
Default Moving to melbourne!

Hi guys

Just found this website and think it is great. I am going to move to Melbourne at the end of the year to join my aussie boyfriend who leaves the UK next week as his visa is going to run out.

I am 25 and a nurse. I have beed offered a job at Epworth hospital.

So just really wanted to see if there are others in a similar position and are moving to oz or any of you out there that have done it all already. Would be good to know some other people who are going out there as I won't know many when i first get there.
Laus xx
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:31 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to melbourne!

Originally Posted by Lausie
Hi guys

Just found this website and think it is great. I am going to move to Melbourne at the end of the year to join my aussie boyfriend who leaves the UK next week as his visa is going to run out.

So just really wanted to see if there are others in a similar position and are moving to oz or any of you out there that have done it all already. Would be good to know some other people who are going out there as I won't know many when i first get there.
Laus xx
Margaret3 is at the Epworth ...and not long arrived here.

I'm a psych nurse here in Melbourne, so can't help you beyond that....sorry.

Goodluck
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

What kind of visa do you plan to get, out of interest?

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 9th 2007 at 11:56 am.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

lynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the rough
Wink Re: Moving to melbourne!

Hi I am a paed nurse hoping to go to melbourne next year? Went out at easter with hubby looks fab. I visited the royal childrens hospital (Huge) but it did have a macdonalds as its restaurant, most shocked.
lynne
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replys. Re: visa, I am not sure, would like it so that i am not tied to the hospital just in case. Was unsure whether to go for the skilled independent or perhaps a partner visa. Need to look more into.

Lynne: Have been to melbourne before too and really liked it. Not seen the hospital though, just had an interview in Bristol a coulple of weeks ago. Have you actually got a job offer? I know i will have my boyfriend there but it would be nice to know some other people too, I really like having my own friends.

I have only been qualified a year so was not expecting to get offered anything, thought that they would want more experience.

I noticed on margaret3 thread that she does not seem to be having a good time at Epworth.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replys. Re: visa, I am not sure, would like it so that i am not tied to the hospital just in case. Was unsure whether to go for the skilled independent or perhaps a partner visa. Need to look more into.
Skilled Independent is the best option. Permanent visa with no employer ties.

Partner visa is temporary unless you have been together for a long time, so normally best avoided if there is any better alternative.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au is a useful site, also http://www.immi.gov.au
Old Jul 10th 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

lynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the rough

Hi lausie

have not got job lined up yet, just starting the process , going on hubbys visa as a family.
When do you hope to go?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

tayley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I also had a job offer yesterday from the epworth after an interview in Leeds 3 weeks ago. Like you i am newly qualified (15 months ICU experience). We are going on Perm visa hopefully Jan 08 so am not tied to the job offer but it's nice to know its there.

maybe see you out there Debbie
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Epworth doing alot of recruiting just now, ask yourelves why

if at all possible DO NOT AND I MEAN DO NOT come under sponsorship to epworth, come with pr and at least you have the choice of leaving.

I have PR and ended up in epworth due to a recruiting agency before leaving u.k, i wanted the security of having a job before leaving the u.k I have been in epworth 2 and half months and comfort myself with the fact i can leave if it doesn't work out, and believe me i have been to hell and back so far, but am not a quitter

Epworth also has a few campus, so watch this also

Last edited by Margaret3; Jul 10th 2007 at 12:21 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: Moving to melbourne!

hello margaret3

what do you think of melbourne are you enjoying it, where do you live, any tips if you dont mind.
lynne
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

I am def thinking of going on independent skilled visa as i don't want to be tied to job.

Has anyone gone without having a job offer and found a job out there? Do you think it is a bit risky to go out there without one.

Margaret, I have been offfered a position at the freemason site, which site do you work on if you don't mind me asking.

Would be good to get to know any of you who are going to be there? Always good to know people.

Debbie, have you been offered a jon in ICU. What site is that at?

Laura
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Lynneand wayne; Are you worried about not having a job to go to?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

Lynneand wayne; Are you worried about not having a job to go to?
Having an independent visa does not prevent you finding a job in advance of moving (once you have your visa). It then means you have an insurance policy if job does not work out and access to full PR benefits from Day One.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Having an independent visa does not prevent you finding a job in advance of moving (once you have your visa). It then means you have an insurance policy if job does not work out and access to full PR benefits from Day One.
Exactly!!! it wasnt till i got here really that i began to appreciate how lucky we all were to have PR

Freemasons hospital seems to have a good reputation, i have never been there, but peeps at work speak highly of it.

I wouldn't worry about not having a job before coming, but why not join a nursing agency before coming? it means you will have done the paper work for a job and it is one less thing to worry about once your here. Lots and lots of nurses work agency, i am intending dropping some hrs from epworth and working agency 1 or 2 days per week,better money and better flexibility for the kids, some nurses i have spoke to have been working agency there for 10-15 years

It is tough when you get here and i have only been here a short time, but so far i love melbourne and am really looking forward to the summer here, but best of all is the lovely people i have met since coming , off here , and britvics, they have been a power of strength for us
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving to melbourne!

Hi lausie

hopefully i will have a job before we go, as we are going on hubbys visa at moment were just sorting all his paper work out, then i ll do mine. We have been told it will be about a year for the process, so there is plenty of time, hopefully. When do you hope to gp.
lynne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.