Midwife in oz

Old Sep 4th 2007, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future
Default Midwife in oz

Hi

I am a student midwife just going in to my second year. we are looking to come to brisbane next year for a holiday with the view to moving out there in 2009 when i qualify. my OH is a joiner so we had been planning on applying for the visa on his skill after the holiday to have it in time for my completion in 2009. i have just been told by a midwife in the UK that i will need 2 years experience in the UK to work in brisbane and will not be able to get any work if i haven't got it.

can anyone advise me on this as i dont want to come over and not be able to work.

sorry forgot to say i am a direct entry student midwife

thankyou
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Midwife in oz

Hi,

Not too sure about the experience thing in Brisbane, but i'm going to perth on a sponsored 457 with no experience .

Maybe the experience is if you are applying for a perm visa on your qualifications - thats why I've gone the temp visa route, not ideal but its the only job I've been offered since qualifying in April . Lucky for me it was the one I really wanted!

Good luck with the rest of your course and oz plans x
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by midwife2be
Hi,

Not too sure about the experience thing in Brisbane, but i'm going to perth on a sponsored 457 with no experience .

Maybe the experience is if you are applying for a perm visa on your qualifications - thats why I've gone the temp visa route, not ideal but its the only job I've been offered since qualifying in April . Lucky for me it was the one I really wanted!

Good luck with the rest of your course and oz plans x
thankyou

i know it would take me 2 years from qualifying if i went on my own visa as they require experience and then the time for it to come through, i think this may be where it has come from. i will email the hospitals in and around Brisbane at the end of my 2nd year and see if they know anything before we send for our visa.

if anyone has any info on newly qualified jobs for midwives in Brisbane it would be appreciated

cheryl
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
thankyou

i know it would take me 2 years from qualifying if i went on my own visa as they require experience and then the time for it to come through, i think this may be where it has come from. i will email the hospitals in and around Brisbane at the end of my 2nd year and see if they know anything before we send for our visa.

if anyone has any info on newly qualified jobs for midwives in Brisbane it would be appreciated

cheryl
I am a midwife too.I went to Brisbane for a reckie a couple of years ago. At the time I had 1 years experience. I rang the Mater Hospital in Brisbane city center and arranged an interview in person. They told me that I could have a telephone interview but I said that I was visiting anyway and that a personal interview would be better.
Having only 1 years experience at the time, they offered me a job.(Which I didn't take as changed minds as to location)
I don't think it will be a problem for you. The Mater is a very big hospital and the interviewers were lovely.
Good luck.