Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

madmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud of
Question Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

Hello everyone,

I am a midwife inthe UK and am seriously considering a move away. Was thinking of doing a year or two in Saudi to raise some money but worry that the limitations over there will be too much. I've always wanted to visit NZ and when I've talked to people (who've never lived there!!) they say I should go to Australia instead. Am keen to get some feedback from people in healthcare over there. Currently I work for the NHS in community and hospital settings, have 4 years experience and was RGN prior to that. I'm 34, single with no dependants and can be over there by June 2008.

Hope you can shed some light - thanks.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future
Default Re: Midwife asking - should I give NZ a go?

[QUOTE=madmidwife;5767902]Hello everyone,

I am a midwife inthe UK and am seriously considering a move away. Was thinking of doing a year or two in Saudi to raise some money but worry that the limitations over there will be too much. I've always wanted to visit NZ and when I've talked to people (who've never lived there!!) they say I should go to Australia instead. Am keen to get some feedback from people in healthcare over there. Currently I work for the NHS in community and hospital settings, have 4 years experience and was RGN prior to that. I'm 34, single with no dependants and can be over there by June 2008.

Hope you can shed some light - thanks.[/QUOTE

hi

did you see wanted down under, they did NZ for midwives las week.

good luck

cheryl
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

kbv1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

My fiancee is a midwife and we are bothing looking at moving to NZ. We didnt see the Wanted Down Under Episode we mist it just hopes its repeated sometime. We have been trying to look for the wage scales over in NZ but cant find anythings Does anyone know what the pay is over there?

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kbv1
Hey

My fiancee is a midwife and we are bothing looking at moving to NZ. We didnt see the Wanted Down Under Episode we mist it just hopes its repeated sometime. We have been trying to look for the wage scales over in NZ but cant find anythings Does anyone know what the pay is over there?

Thanks
There are core midwives who work in hospitals and LMC Lead Maternity Carers (caseload midwives) who work in the comunity, basically as a private midwife. Core midwives are paid the same as nurses, and you are paid depending on how long you have been qualified for. For 5 years + experience it is currently $55,620 rising to $57,845 on the 31/03/08, plus penal rates. LMC get a basic salary, no enals of $74,403, rising to $77, 370 end of March.
Lakes District Health Board are looking for midwives for Rotorua and Taupo, both great places to live. Check out their web site and email HR.

Cheers
Gill
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

madmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud of

No Cheryl, I missed that program unfortunately. Will try track it down. Ta
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by madmidwife
No Cheryl, I missed that program unfortunately. Will try track it down. Ta
look on here under australia a thread called wanted down under and they have info on watching it through your pc think its called uknova or something

cheryl
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Cheryl, I'll take a look.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:53 am
Just Joined

kbv1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
There are core midwives who work in hospitals and LMC Lead Maternity Carers (caseload midwives) who work in the comunity, basically as a private midwife. Core midwives are paid the same as nurses, and you are paid depending on how long you have been qualified for. For 5 years + experience it is currently $55,620 rising to $57,845 on the 31/03/08, plus penal rates. LMC get a basic salary, no enals of $74,403, rising to $77, 370 end of March.
Lakes District Health Board are looking for midwives for Rotorua and Taupo, both great places to live. Check out their web site and email HR.

Cheers
Gill
thanks gill, i will check it out
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

tracyjane is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

Think you really need some advice from midwives to appraciate the job in NZ compared to that of the UK and OZ

Im a community midwife in the midlands love my job here we have a good team relationship have lots of normal births!!!!! and our team have the highest homebirth rate i the west midlands. Ive been to OZ and NZ within the last 4 years.

I have been researching all the different areas, my old community midwifery manager is running the Unit IN Gisborne NZ and offered me a job, therefore after doing some research re Gisborne, didnt think it would suit us (hubby kids 12 and 19) however i would agree you need to visit. NZ is a fantastic country very laid back some areas are a bit 70's but not all areas some very up to date some dont beleive all you read unless you find out yourself.

Whats important for me is I want a similar job to that ive got here and under no circumstances would I ever, ever go and work back in a UK hospital, to damm stressful, short staffed and you Know what I mean. As youve already been informed they have core midwives working in the hospitals and LMC who provide Ante natal Intrapartum and post Natal care. Core staff only really deal with high risk ladies, totally different to hear.

When we went to Gisborne, we felt it wasnt the right place for us a a family to live but the job was fantastic, brill unit just like a little birth centre and manily english midwives some have been there 30 years. Sandra Walsh is my old manager and I spent the day there with her, She use to be the UK recruiment and retention midwife. You couldnt work for any better midwife she always supports her staff. Gisborne is 2 hours drive from anywhere else, didnt suit us but every one different.

Again I wasnt keen on Auckland, if you dont like the city life then dont go there.

Best place Ive been i the World is the Bay of Plenty (tauranga) at the time we went over there wasnt any FT jobs for midwives. My old mentor has just migrated to Tauranga and two of her daughters have experienced midwifery care, one had homebirth and other E C/section and she was there for both. She said care was outstanding much different to that in the UK as women get one to one care.

Both Austrailians and New Zealanders are lovely people, I think NZ more tranquil, we have many friends there who wouldnt come back. Our only dissapointment was the weather not as good as OZ.

feel free to ask any other questions.

Ive been offered a community job in Brisbane which is very rare as all there care is mainly in hospital. So this is the perfect job for me they allocate you 4 patients a MONTH. to look after (can you believe it) and we already have some family there and i do prefer the weather in Brissie.

good look

tracy
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:17 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tracyjane;5778246]hi

Think you really need some advice from midwives to appraciate the job in NZ compared to that of the UK and OZ

Hi Tracey I would love to hear what you Oz experiences were please.
Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

tracyjane is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

ive not had any experience in oz yet, thats why ive been very relucctant to go as done lots of research and my best friend went for a year and didnt really enjoy experience, however we are both totally different people anyway.

its been hard for me to find the job ive been offered as there isnt really any community care but following my interview the job ive been offered is similar to mine in the uk. community care.

i have friends who have been to nz and there care is very good. your not treated like an obstetric nurse as you can be in OZ

good luck
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Pinkybee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tracyjane

When we went to Gisborne, we felt it wasnt the right place for us a a family to live but the job was fantastic, brill unit just like a little birth centre and manily english midwives some have been there 30 years. Sandra Walsh is my old manager and I spent the day there with her, She use to be the UK recruiment and retention midwife. You couldnt work for any better midwife she always supports her staff. Gisborne is 2 hours drive from anywhere else, didnt suit us but every one different.

tracy
My family are from Gisborrne, I lived there for years and I completely understand what you're saying. I'm not going to mince words, it's a dive of a place, it really isn't a nice place to live and it's certainly not a nice place to raise a family.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

tommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the rough

Hi
I qualified as a midwife in September 07 and practiced for 3-4 months in UK and decided to move to Wellington NZ as I was informed it is a great place to work with lots of autonomy and gaining lots of experience. Well its not exactly what I was told in my interview, there is very limited team work between Dr's and midwives you even have to ask the woman what plan the Dr discussed with them, or you go to the notes and realise there is a new plan!:curse:
I have not been to delivery suite yet but I have been informed by many midwives that you will be lucky to get a NVD once a month. The section rate and reasoning for sections is appauling!!
Sorry to be blunt and this is my experience but a lot of fellow Brits feel the same, the midwives are lovely and most support new staff really well. You do get a lot of high risk antenatal and postnatal experience which is good.
Just wanted to warn you about Wellington CCDHB I am sure alot of other hospitals are great.
Hope this helps a little, I am thinking of trying Aussie!!