Mental Health nursing in Melbourne

Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice
Default Mental Health nursing in Melbourne

Hello all, I'm Sean - quite new here.

My wife is the nurse and I'm acting as internet monkey under her instruction!

We're just looking for a bit of advice regarding MH nursing in central Melbourne. Our intention is to spend at least a year in Melbourne before choosing whether to settle in UK or Aus.

OH has been strongly encouraged by one of the big hospitals in Melbourne to apply for a position - seems pretty much guaranteed. She has a few years experience and extra quals (and is often the only staff nurse on a large acute inpatient unit - NHS). We have no kids, are youngish and want to live in the city at first.

The hospital has suggested sponsorship on a 457 visa - we've read so many stories about agency pay being better, about the 457 being restrictive. To us it seems that the 457 is a low-cost way of trying Melbourne.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative, or simply offer their views on our current choices. We are due to begin the paperwork soon. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health nursing in Melbourne

PR gives you the flexibility to be able to change jobs if you hate it. 457 just means that along with the stress of moving countries, if you hate the job you can't do a thing about it.

I'm sure some of the psych nurses will be along with more specific MH info
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:09 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to try and track down PaulB on here he's doing mental health in Melbourne area, he's been on here in January so still about.

He's post 23 on this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=PaulB

send him a PM.

Originally Posted by Sean101
Hello all, I'm Sean - quite new here.

My wife is the nurse and I'm acting as internet monkey under her instruction!

We're just looking for a bit of advice regarding MH nursing in central Melbourne. Our intention is to spend at least a year in Melbourne before choosing whether to settle in UK or Aus.

OH has been strongly encouraged by one of the big hospitals in Melbourne to apply for a position - seems pretty much guaranteed. She has a few years experience and extra quals (and is often the only staff nurse on a large acute inpatient unit - NHS). We have no kids, are youngish and want to live in the city at first.

The hospital has suggested sponsorship on a 457 visa - we've read so many stories about agency pay being better, about the 457 being restrictive. To us it seems that the 457 is a low-cost way of trying Melbourne.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative, or simply offer their views on our current choices. We are due to begin the paperwork soon. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Pinkybee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by augigi
PR gives you the flexibility to be able to change jobs if you hate it. 457 just means that along with the stress of moving countries, if you hate the job you can't do a thing about it.

I'm sure some of the psych nurses will be along with more specific MH info
If you hate it you just approach another hospital and get them to sponsor you, happens all the time.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:29 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Paulb and wierdstone are both mental health nurses working in Melbourne.

Weirdstone works agency and she knows which are the good places to work in Central Melbourne and where to avoid like the plague.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kapri
Paulb and wierdstone are both mental health nurses working in Melbourne.

Weirdstone works agency and she knows which are the good places to work in Central Melbourne and where to avoid like the plague.
Thanks Kapri

I've just had some great advice from weirdstone, and will be getting in touch with PaulB soon hopefully. This forum is magic - the interweb at its best!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:41 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kapri

I've just had some great advice from weirdstone, and will be getting in touch with PaulB soon hopefully. This forum is magic - the interweb at its best!
They both gave me some great tips too.
I'm also a mental health nurse - hoping to be in melbourne September time
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kapri
They both gave me some great tips too.
I'm also a mental health nurse - hoping to be in melbourne September time
Thats great! We were hoping to be there in July (on 457), but other people on this forum are saying that the NBV are in chaos, with applications taking between 5 and 8 months to process - therefore causing a delay in visa being issued. So we could be September arrivals too.

We are just about to send our NBV registration, is yours already in the system? Any idea how long your NBV is likely to take in total?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great! We were hoping to be there in July (on 457), but other people on this forum are saying that the NBV are in chaos, with applications taking between 5 and 8 months to process - therefore causing a delay in visa being issued. So we could be September arrivals too.

We are just about to send our NBV registration, is yours already in the system? Any idea how long your NBV is likely to take in total?
I wonder if it is possible to enrol in another state and apply to transfer to Victoria whether it would be any quicker?

Ali
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alison1967
I wonder if it is possible to enrol in another state and apply to transfer to Victoria whether it would be any quicker?

Ali
Interesting! Will check it out, thanks
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:44 am
Happy migrant

My NBV registration only took 9 weeks but that was a few months ago.
I really can't see it taking 5-8 months
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:53 am
Just Joined

lil tinks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I've just had the thrill of seeing my name on the NBV register online, after 12 weeks! still no hard copy of the certificate yet! I was due to start my job in Melbounrne on 30 November 07! Hey ho!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alison1967

Ali
I understand that if another state has a mutual agreement then yes you can do it that way. My agent suggested I do it via Sydney, but apparently it's taking even longer there! lol (it's not funny really)
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

All states are part of the mutual recognition agreement.

G
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

That's handy to know!